Windows 10: Doozy of a mess with start menu shortcuts (users vs allusers)

Discus and support Doozy of a mess with start menu shortcuts (users vs allusers) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So this problem has been going back YEARS. Since windows 10's inception allmost. Before I understood why start menu shortcuts were saved in two places... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by klepp0906, Feb 10, 2020.

1. klepp0906 Win User

Doozy of a mess with start menu shortcuts (users vs allusers)

So this problem has been going back YEARS. Since windows 10's inception allmost. Before I understood why start menu shortcuts were saved in two places etc.

I began using (at the time) classic-shell as I couldnt tolerate how awful win10's start menu was.

It's served me well but when I discovered two locations, and was making an attempt at consolidating/organizing, things got moved between in either direction with little rhyme or reason other than avoiding clutter/extras etc.

Well, now im left with shortcuts in AppData's start menu\programs that belong in ProgramData's start menu\programs and vice versa.

What would be the easiest way to untangle that hot mess and verify things were in the proper start menu folder?

:)

klepp0906, Feb 10, 2020

2. How to pin shortcut to start menu.

At first, you can create a shortcut in your Programs folder
    (in a hidden folder C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs). The shortcut appears in
    All apps list. Then you can pin it to Start menu / Taskbar as Mayank Gupta10 suggested.

The common way is to create a shortcut on the Desktop.
    But the more elegant way is creating Custom toolbars.

Sergiy Shklyar, Feb 10, 2020
  3. MDD0799 Win User
    How to pin shortcut to start menu.

Sergiy Shklyar - You are a genius. This is the solution for pinning a non-executable to the Start Menu. Many thanks.

MDD0799, Feb 10, 2020
  4. RodHarney Win User

How to pin shortcut to start menu.

This sounds great... only problem is that the hidden folder in Windows 10 "C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" contains five folders and no files. If I add my shortcut to the "Programs" folder as suggested, it does NOT appear
    in the "All apps" list. If I put it in the "Windows System" folder, a subfolder of "Programs" which contains 7 other shortcuts that show up in "All apps", my shortcut still does not appear. I really don't care about "The common way" or "the more elegant way",
    I just want to know how to accomplish this, and so far, these solutions just don't work. It seems like there should be a folder, somewhere, where all the shortcuts for the "All apps" list are stored. I hope someone can help me with this frustrating issue.

RodHarney, Feb 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Doozy of a mess with start menu shortcuts (users vs allusers) - Similar Threads - Doozy mess start

2. Start menu broken shortcut

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu broken shortcut: Hello guys, I have an issue here. When I was rearrange my start menu I found a doubled "Word" icon, and I tried to remove it.But when I tried to find this shortcut location with right click then 'more', there is no 'Open file location' option.I've already look in start menu...
  3. Document Shortcuts on Start Menu

Document Shortcuts on Start Menu: I upgraded from 1909 to 20H2. It appears that document shortcuts on startmenu is not longer supported. The shortcuts are still in the StartMenu/Programs folder and function if clicked on directly, but they no longer appear in the start menu and cannot be pinned. I was able...
  4. Removing Start Menu shortcuts

Removing Start Menu shortcuts: Is there a way to remove Built-In application shortcuts from the Start Menu? I don't mean uninstall the application, but just remove its shortcut; shortcuts (examples in red) as seen in the attached picture. 149158
  5. OneDrive Start Menu Shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive Start Menu Shortcut: I used to have a shortcut on my Start Menu for OneDrive and no matter what I do I can not get it to stay there any longer....I create a shortcut and the next day its gone again. I really liked having it on the Start Menu instead of the Taskbar. Is there anything I can do??...
  6. Start Menu messed up

Start Menu messed up: I have a laptop with many different IDs on. I log onto each ID for different work. The problem is that on some IDs the Start Menu has messed up. I get rid of all icons and add about 3 or 4 select icons to my start menu. NOW: I get what looks like the default start menu...
  7. Change Start Menu Shortcut

Change Start Menu Shortcut: I recently reinstalled a program and the shortcut in the start menu points to a incorrect location, so the program won't start. How do I change the shortcut to point to the correct location?...
  8. Messed up start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Messed up start menu: So, I finally decided to upgrade to W10 from Windows 7, and it's cool and everything, actually liking it. The only thing that has gone wrong, is that I get this [img] (for those who don't know spanish, 'pendiente' means pending) instead of this [img] what...
  9. Shortcuts to open power menu or user menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcuts to open power menu or user menu.: Does anyone know if there's a command that can be pasted into a shortcut; That opens the power menu or user menu? I.e where you sign out or lock your computer. The shortcut is meant to be on the desktop. Some screenshots showing what menus I'm referring to. [img]...
  10. Pin shortcuts to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Pin shortcuts to Start Menu: What am I missing here? I can pin exe's with a right click but trying to do this with a desktop shortcut does nothing. If it is not allowed, why does the context menu have 'Pin to start' in it? Just wondering. 8914