Windows 10: DOSBox icon not showing up in the taskbar or properties window

Discus and support DOSBox icon not showing up in the taskbar or properties window in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This problem is only happening with DOSBox at the moment. I feel if it doesn't get resolved I may find other apps suffering the same problem. It was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Wayne_Ca, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Wayne_Ca Win User

DOSBox icon not showing up in the taskbar or properties window

This problem is only happening with DOSBox at the moment. I feel if it doesn't get resolved I may find other apps suffering the same problem. It was fine until one day it just started showing the generic document icon in the taskbar when I would run a game in DOSBox. I noted that the desktop shortcut and the app itself displayed the DOSBox icon on the desktop and in the explorer window for the app, but when I would launch it the generic document icon would show up in the taskbar instead of the DOSBox icon. I pulled up the properties window on the shortcut and saw that the generic icon was displayed in the properties window. I clicked the change icon button and was able to restore the properties window to displaying the DOSBox icon, and whenever I double-click the desktop shortcut the DOSBox icon will show up in the taskbar. However, directly clicking the app or dropping a .bat file on the desktop shortcut still results in the generic document icon being displayed in the taskbar. Pulling up the properties window on the app itself reveals that the generic icon is being displayed in the properties window. Unlike the shortcut properties, there is no change icon button for the app itself. I have tried deleting the IconCache.db file using multiple methods, running DISM.EXE from the Command Prompt window in administrator mode, and it reported no problems found, and even tried running that other utility ... can't recall the name of it, but it kept just not running and I don't know what it's problem is, but it was useless. Nothing has worked, and I am wondering if it has something to do with the new version update I recently installed.

I am using Windows 10 Home edition, Pavilion 64-bit notebook, Intel Core i5 2.3/2.4 GHz processor, 1 terabyte drive over 700 gigs free, 6 gigs Ram. My version of windows 10 is up-to-date as I just installed the update in the last week or so. And that's when the problem with the DOSBox icon started happening. That is why I wonder if the issue has something to do with that update.

:)

Wayne_Ca, Aug 6, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

System Icons on taskbar

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

Are you referring to the clock system icon on the taskbar?

If so, I suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below:

• Click on the search bar on the taskbar.

• Type system icons.

• Under Turn System Icons ON or OFF, turn On the Clock and check with the issue.

Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Mark Ole Win User
    Taskbar icons

Hi,

To address your concern, follow the steps below on how to show hidden icons on the taskbar.

• Open Settings, and click on the Personalization
      icon.
    • Click on Taskbar on the left side, and click on the
      Select which icons appear on the taskbar
      link under the Notification area section on the right.
    • Turn on Always show all icons in the notification area at the top

Let us know how it goes.

Mark Ole, Aug 6, 2020
  4. DOSBox icon not showing up in the taskbar or properties window

Taskbar icon

Hello Miguel

You can change the icon taskbar size following these steps:

Please follow the below steps:

-Logon to your computer as administrator, click on empty space on the Taskbar.

-Select Configuration Taskbar, and Start Menu Properties window pops-up.

-Select use small taskbar buttons to decrease the size of icons.

Regards Freddys

Freddys Suarez G, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

DOSBox icon not showing up in the taskbar or properties window

1. DOSBox icon not showing up in the taskbar or properties window - Similar Threads - DOSBox icon showing

2. Windows beeping - Icon in taskbar showing up and disappearing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows beeping - Icon in taskbar showing up and disappearing: I am running a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 on Windows 11 Pro. Every 2 - 3 minutes I get a beeping noise and the icon shown in attached photo shows up for split second. I had to capture with a video and take screenshot. I'm not familiar with this icon and the beeping noises are...
  3. Windows beeping - Icon in taskbar showing up and disappearing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows beeping - Icon in taskbar showing up and disappearing: I am running a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 on Windows 11 Pro. Every 2 - 3 minutes I get a beeping noise and the icon shown in attached photo shows up for split second. I had to capture with a video and take screenshot. I'm not familiar with this icon and the beeping noises are...
  4. Taskbar icons not showing up/Odd font

Taskbar icons not showing up/Odd font: Hello all, I am running Windows 10 and am having issues with my task bar icons not showing up. There should normally be 4-5 icons on the taskbar for Chrome, my folders, etc. I went through the support community a couple months ago and did some of their suggestions, but it...
  5. Taskbar and file icons not showing up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar and file icons not showing up: My taskbar icons and file icons aren't showing up and are replaced by some sort of default icon. But for some reason it only happens to some of the icons and not others, I've tried searching for solutions and couldn't find very much. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling...
  6. Taskbar and file icons not showing up

Taskbar and file icons not showing up: My taskbar icons and file icons aren't showing up and are replaced by some sort of default icon. But for some reason it only happens to some of the icons and not others, I've tried searching for solutions and couldn't find very much. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling...
  7. Taskbar and desktop icons not showing up; can't open properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Taskbar and desktop icons not showing up; can't open properties: The icons on my desktop shortcuts are gone, leaving only the names. In the taskbar, they are replaced with what looks like a newspaper or website page icon. I cannot open the properties of anything and it applies in file explorer as well....
  8. Taskbar and desktop icons not showing up; can't open properties

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Taskbar and desktop icons not showing up; can't open properties: The icons on my desktop shortcuts are gone, leaving only the names. In the taskbar, they are replaced with what looks like a newspaper or website page icon. I cannot open the properties of anything and it applies in file explorer as well....
  9. Taskbar and desktop icons not showing up; can't open properties

10. Windows Defender icon not showing up in ^ menu of taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Defender icon not showing up in ^ menu of taskbar: Just fixed a few problems with malware and Windows Defender being disabled. Real time protection is on and everything seems to be working perfectly fine now, but the Windows Defender icon isn't showing in the ^ menu of the taskbar. Is this a problem? I can't remember if it...