Windows 10: Double click doesn't open htm/html files

Discus and support Double click doesn't open htm/html files in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, in my new Hp EliteBook 850 G4, I've a very strange issue. I can't try a restore, since company gave me it after configurating it and updating to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by tulving, Aug 28, 2017.

1. tulving Win User

Double click doesn't open htm/html files

Hi,

in my new Hp EliteBook 850 G4, I've a very strange issue. I can't try a restore, since company gave me it after configurating it and updating to the last version of Windows 10 Pro 64 bit with Windows Update, and the issue was from the beginning.

I've Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox (64 bit version) installed browsers, with Firefox as default one.
    Everytime I try to open a *.html or *.htm file with double click, the system asks me in a recursive way to choose one program from a list and if I want to set it as default. It doens't matter if I choose one browser, the system doesn't open the file and ask again same thing.
    If I don't double click the htm/html files, but just right click and select Open, everything works!

I've tried to change default browser, with Chrome, Edge, IE, or also to set one of the browser as default for all protocols and supported files...but nothing changes.

I've also tried to force file associations with following prompt commands in administrative mode:

Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>assoc .html=htmlfile .html=htmlfile C:\WINDOWS\system32>assoc .htm=htmlfile .htm=htmlfile C:\WINDOWS\system32>ftype htmlfile="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" htmlfile="C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" C:\WINDOWS\system32>[/quote] and other strange thing, is that in the last command response line an additional "%1" was expeted.

Also registry seems to be ok

Code: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html\OpenWithList[/quote] has "a" entry with "firefox.exe" value,

and

Code: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.html\OpenWithList[/quote] there's the key with "FirefoxHTML-308046B0AF4A39CB" value.

So, is there any suggestion to fix it?

Thanks a lot.

*Tongue

:)

tulving, Aug 28, 2017

2. saving html file

File Explorer > View tab on ribbon > Options > View tab in Folder Options dialog > Uncheck
    Hide extensions for known file types. Then check whether the file you've saved has the extension .HTM/.HTML, or .HTM.TXT/.HTML.TXT by mistake.

Once you have it set to .HTM or .HTML properly, it should be associated with your default browser and open up in it when you double-click the file.

RobertJWin, Aug 28, 2017
  3. acoftil Win User
    Can't set default browser and can't use hyperlinks in Outlook

I found the answer and made some simple registry changes:

If you received this error after uninstalling any application that takes over the HTML open command (including, but not limited to, Chrome & Firefox browsers) you may also need to change the HTM/HTML association
    in the registry.

• Start, click Run, type Regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    • Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html
    • Right click the value for the .html key and select Modify...
    • Change the value from "ChromeHTML" to "htmlfile" (or from FireFoxHTML to htmlfile)
    • Repeat for .htm, shtml, .xht, .xhtml, .xhtm keys
    Repeat these steps for htm and .shtml keys if they exist. You may also want to check the xhtml and xhtm keys. Don't want to edit the registry? Download this
    file
    (right click and choose Save target as...) Then double click on the file to run and restart Windows.

You need to restart windows for the change to take effect.

Here is the url: This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions

Now I can go into control panel and reset the default browser. I'm happy!

acoftil, Aug 28, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, try checking (control panel) this:

Double click doesn't open htm/html files [​IMG]

and this free program may let you confirm and compare the setting:

dalchina, Aug 30, 2017
  5. tulving Win User
    Hi, thanks a lot fo your suggestions:

In control panel seems everything ok (despite near the extension I don't see the firefox litte icon but a blank one):

and also on FilesTypeMan it seems ok:

*cry

tulving, Aug 30, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Aug 30, 2017
  7. tulving Win User
    I've apply the two reg files for html,htm extensions, restart, but also with Edge the system asks me with double click to choose a default program....

trying to change it with other browser, doesn't solve....

no problem with right mouse button and "Open" command

*cry*cry*cry

tulving, Aug 30, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

It may be that you are trying to set the default with Open With and not completing the process with the tick box correctly. It is somewhat awkward.

Try in Settings

(Click once to get a vertical list of available programs).

Or, and it's more convenient, the equivalent in Control Panel).

dalchina, Aug 30, 2017
  9. tulving Win User
    Yes, I've already tried it, again and again, as you can see, I've associated either all files and protocols to Firefox and also on single file association settings (I've also tried with classic Control Panel interface, same result):

I've also tried with Chrome, IE and Edge, but nothing changes.

Everytime I make a double click on a htm/html file, this is what i get:

if I flag the check to use it as default and give Ok, or leave it unchecked, the same dialog appears in loop...

Yesterday I saw that also on Spiceworks community, there are other Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version users with the same recent very wired problem with double click only for htm/html files, and at the moment there isn't any working fix...

*Banghead*Banghead*Banghead

tulving, Aug 31, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    See what happens in Safe Mode.

I have Win 10 Pro x 64, Creator's build, and don't see this.

dalchina, Aug 31, 2017
  11. tulving Win User
    Yes, my colleague has same Hp EliteBook (company bought 2 identical laptops), and when we turn on them they started with all Windows 10 updates..., mine has the trouble, his one doesn't...

I'll give a try in safe mode, and let know.

Thanks

tulving, Aug 31, 2017
  12. tulving Win User
    tried in safe mode, but still same situation....*Banghead*Banghead*Banghead

tulving, Aug 31, 2017
  13. dalchina New Member

Compare this:

(rt click on the file type shown, click Edit...)

Compare

dalchina, Aug 31, 2017
  14. tulving Win User
    Thanks, I have to wait Monday to test, and let you know. Have a nice weekend!

tulving, Aug 31, 2017
  15. tulving Win User
    Hi dalchina, it seems I have some differeces, some maybe because I've installed the 64 bit version of Firefox.

Let's see:

What do you think about?

Thanks

tulving, Sep 3, 2017
Thema:

1. Double click doesn't open htm/html files - Similar Threads - Double click doesn't

2. Why are files opening on a single click when setting is to open on double click?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why are files opening on a single click when setting is to open on double click?: Just what the question says. I'm in Windows Explorer, WIndows 10 21H2, OS Build 19044.2846 . Corporate license. I see an old question from 2014 about the same thing happening for Excel files. These are Excel files as well, . I want to select and drag to move a bunch of files....
  3. Why are files opening on a single click when setting is to open on double click?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why are files opening on a single click when setting is to open on double click?: Just what the question says. I'm in Windows Explorer, WIndows 10 21H2, OS Build 19044.2846 . Corporate license. I see an old question from 2014 about the same thing happening for Excel files. These are Excel files as well, . I want to select and drag to move a bunch of files....
  4. Why are files opening on a single click when setting is to open on double click?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Accidentally deleted the .html and .htm file opener. (or the whole concept of those files)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally deleted the .html and .htm file opener. (or the whole concept of those files): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/DaikonFast8824 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mgnnsz/accidentally_deleted_the_html_and_htm_file_opener/
  6. Using double-click to open files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Using double-click to open files: Recently, I can no longer use double-click to open files either from desktop icons or within sub-files. I have to left click to select, then right-click, then move cursor to "open, then left-click open. This is a great degradation in performance. Will this be reversed or...
  7. Double click on the folder is not opening it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Double click on the folder is not opening it: Folder on this location is not opening on double-click: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans What to do? Goran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-on-the-folder-is-not-opening-it/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a
  8. Double click doesn't open files associated with apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Double click doesn't open files associated with apps: Cannot figure out what has happened. I have Win 10 Pro ver 2004 OS-19041.685. A simple text file .txt will not open with Notepad after a double-click. I have to start Notepad, browse the file, and first then it can be opened. The same problem occurs with other associated...
  9. Double-clicking opens folders but not files

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-clicking opens folders but not files: When I double-click on a folder, the folder opens. Good. But when I double-click on a file or document for the first time, it doesn't open (i.e., it doesn't launch the application to read that file). Instead, the filename is shaded and there's a box around the filename as if...
  10. Single/double-click to open file in Explorer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Single/double-click to open file in Explorer: Recently my Windows 10 Home has changed from double-click to open files to single-click and underlining files as hyperlinks, even though it is set to double-click in folder options. I have restored the default settings as shown below but this has made no difference. Using the...