Windows 10: Double-click on Drive opens Change BitLocker Password box

Discus and support Double-click on Drive opens Change BitLocker Password box in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I recently edited some things in the Registry at Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell. I am guessing that I messed something up and now when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ArunavoAnirban, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Double-click on Drive opens Change BitLocker Password box

I recently edited some things in the Registry at Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell. I am guessing that I messed something up and now when I right-click on any Drive the first option Bold chars is Change Bitlocker Password. 'Open' is the third one. So, Double-clicking the Drive brings up the Bitlocker window. How do I revert this?

Btw, I was dumb enough to not keep a copy of registry. Help! Double-click on Drive opens Change BitLocker Password box 6c1925f8-66dc-4ecc-9b55-1ba8e6752787?upload=true.png

:)

ArunavoAnirban, Apr 12, 2021
  2. Ernie San Win User

changing bitlocker password, Windows 10

Hello Keith,

We suggest to change it from Control Panel. You may follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Control Panel.
    • Click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Unlock drive.
    • Type your present password and click Unlock.
    • The drive will be unlocked and you will notice more links on the right of that particular unlocked drive, click
      Change password.
    • Now, you may type your Old password, New password and Confirm new password.
    • Click Change password.
    Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Ernie San, Apr 12, 2021
  3. why doesn't my bitlocker make me type a password?

Hi,

I understand that you have issue with Bitlocker password. I will certainly assist you with this.

Please provide us below details for better assistance,

• Is your Bitlocker enabled on your system?

• Have you made any changes on your system before this issue?

Please follow these steps and check if that helps.

Method 1: I suggest you to start the BitLocker Device Encryption service.

Follow the below steps:

1. Press Windows key + R from the Keyboard.

2. Type services.msc and hit Enter.

3. Search for BitLocker Device Encryption service.

4. Double click on BitLocker Device Encryption service and click on Start button.

5. Click on the dropdown list and set the Startup type to Automatic.

If the issue persists then change the password and change the settings on how drive is unlocked at startup.

Hope it will fix your issue. Please let us know the status of your issue.

Thank You.

Krishna Priya V, Apr 12, 2021
  4. JonBland Win User

Double-click on Drive opens Change BitLocker Password box

Unable to change BitLocker password

Hi Igor

My name is Jon and I am an independent technical adviser. Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues and I would really like to help you find a resolution.

Method 1: Change BitLocker Password from Windows Explorer

Right-click on the BitLocker encrypted drive in Windows Explorer, and select Change BitLocker password from the context menu.

Note: if the encrypted drive shows a gold lock on the icon, then you can’t see the “Change Bitlocker password” option in the context menu, and you need to unlock the BitLocker drive first.

Enter the old password, followed by the new password (entered twice), and then click Change password.

You should see a message that the password has been changed successfully in the same window.

Method 2: Change BitLocker Password from Control Panel

Open the Control Panel and select Large icons in the View by drop-down menu. Click BitLocker Drive Encryption.

Expand the drive for which you want to change the BitLocker password, and click Change password from the list of options.

When the Change Password window appears, type your old password and new password. Click Change password.

Now you’ve changed your BitLocker password.

Method 3: Change BitLocker Password Using Command Line

Open the Command Prompt as administrator.

Assuming you’re going to change Bitlocker password for drive D:, type the following command and hit Enter.

manage-bde -changepassword d:

You’ll be prompted to enter the new password twice. Note: your password won’t be shown while you’re typing.

When the password has been successfully changed, you can close Command Prompt. Every time you boot into Windows, you can unlock the BitLocker drive with the new password.

Hope this helps.

JonBland, Apr 12, 2021
Thema:

Double-click on Drive opens Change BitLocker Password box

1. Double-click on Drive opens Change BitLocker Password box - Similar Threads - Double click Drive

2. Double click does not open documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double click does not open documents: I have Version 22H2OSBuild 19045.4170 when I double click my documents no longer open up. How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-does-not-open-documents/890ff505-0c0a-4811-a25b-4ada9432051d
  3. Double Click to open Taskbar icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double Click to open Taskbar icons: The subject says it all. I am used to double clicking everything and want to do the same on Taskbar icons. I tried switching to single-click on everything, but File Explorer underlines every file and folder when you choose single click., which I don't like, so back to double...
  4. Using double-click to open files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Using double-click to open files: Recently, I can no longer use double-click to open files either from desktop icons or within sub-files. I have to left click to select, then right-click, then move cursor to "open, then left-click open. This is a great degradation in performance. Will this be reversed or...
  5. Double click on the folder is not opening it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Double click on the folder is not opening it: Folder on this location is not opening on double-click: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans What to do? Goran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-on-the-folder-is-not-opening-it/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a
  6. Double-clicking opens folders but not files

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-clicking opens folders but not files: When I double-click on a folder, the folder opens. Good. But when I double-click on a file or document for the first time, it doesn't open (i.e., it doesn't launch the application to read that file). Instead, the filename is shaded and there's a box around the filename as if...
  7. excel won't open with double click

in Windows 10 Customization
    excel won't open with double click: excel macro won't open another excel file as double clicking only opens a blank excel screen# https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-wont-open-with-double-click/fead79dc-cd4d-44d8-8ac0-766c80d495a8
  8. bitLocker Drive - How to change the password

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    bitLocker Drive - How to change the password: Can you tell me how to change the password for Bit Locker on my zip drive - I have the recovery key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/bitlocker-drive-how-to-change-the-password/d1886e66-3ea6-4c4e-92e6-941c37ef3190
  9. A box that says "Double-click to open Avast AntiTrack Premium, right-click for menu" is...

in Windows 10 Customization
    A box that says "Double-click to open Avast AntiTrack Premium, right-click for menu" is...: A box that says "Double-click to open Avast AntiTrack Premium, right-click for menu" is displayed on top of my screen to the left top and I can't close the box or move it elsewhere. How do I make it go away? Thank you....
  10. [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click

in Windows 10 Support
    [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click: Recently, an issue arised in which I can't open file folders with double click. The spinning wheel cursor shows up for a split second but nothing happens. I have to open context menu and choose Open to access the folder. I noticed I can't open folders within Chrome download...