Windows 10: Double click on folders not working any more

Discus and support Double click on folders not working any more in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Since the last update Win10 I cannot open folders with double click only right mouse click and then open folder. I have 3 times With Microsoft chatted... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Roel, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Roel Win User

Double click on folders not working any more

Since the last update Win10 I cannot open folders with double click only right mouse click and then open folder. I have 3 times With Microsoft chatted but cannot solve this problem. Driver up to date, change mouse already, no hardware conflicts.

Restored the computer back to 3 weeks and it works, but the update comes again and the problems also. I hope that someone here can help.

Double click on folders not working any more [​IMG]

Best regards,

:)

Roel, Feb 1, 2016

2. Double click not working on desktop

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    I would suggest you to follow the methods given below and check.

Method 1: Run Hardware Troubleshooter.

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter and check.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter
    If issue still persists try method 2,

Method 2: Perform Clean Boot.

Placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. Check this issue in clean boot state.

• Press Windows key + X key. And select Run.
    2. Type msconfig in the Run box and hit Enter.

3. On the Services tab of the
    System Configuration dialog box, tap or click to select the
    Hide all Microsoft services
    check box, and then tap or click Disable all.

4. On the Startup tab of the
    System Configuration dialog box, tap or click Open Task Manager.

5. On the Startup tab in Task Manager, for each startup item, select the item and then click
    Disable.

6. Close Task Manager.

7. On the Startup tab of the
    System Configuration dialog box, tap or click OK, and then restart the computer.

Refer: How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Note: After clean boot troubleshooting step, follow the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the provided link to return your computer
    to Normal startup mode.

If issue didn't get resolve try method 3,

Method 3: Update drivers

Refer to article given below to Update the drivers in Windows 10.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Ashish Sondhi, Feb 1, 2016
  3. Double click not working on desktop

Yesterday i upgraded my Dell Inspiron 3521 from Windows 8.1 Single Language to Windows 10 Home and i am facing a weird issue\

1:- Double click to open is not working on desktop icons otherwise its working just fine, its just showing the blue ring icon for 2-3 seconds and then stops and gives no response after that i have to right click the icon and open it again

iamnazrulislam, Feb 1, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

Hi Roel,

You can check the mouse properties to make sure nothing was changed. Start > Control Panel > Mouse. There's some tabs along the top. Have a look at the Buttons tab specifically.

b1rd, Feb 2, 2016
  5. davidhk Win User
    I have no answer for you except to tell you I have Win 10 Home 64-bit, fully updated.
    I have no problem double clicking to open folders.

davidhk, Feb 2, 2016
  6. Roel Win User
    Whit the mouse is all ok, but thanks anyway

Roel, Feb 2, 2016
  7. Roel Win User
    I have the 32 bit and after this update the problem start Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3124262)

Roel, Feb 2, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

I don't believe the bit-version has anything to do with it.

As to double click issue.......................Just to be sure, open File Explorer options > General tab > is the dot on "Double-click to open an item (single click to select) " ?

davidhk, Feb 2, 2016
  9. Roel Win User
    I try that, but single or double click I get this error message again. The only way to open folders is ... right click and open

Roel, Feb 2, 2016
  10. Roel Win User
    When i really wake-up I shall try to start in safe-mode and looks what happens then Double click on folders not working any more :)

11. Roel Win User
    Safe mode I have the same problem *Sad

12. davidhk Win User
    Sorry. I have no ideas.

davidhk, Feb 2, 2016
  13. Roel Win User

No problem and anyway thank you

14. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Feb 3, 2016
  15. Roel Win User
Thema:

1. Double click on folders not working any more - Similar Threads - Double click folders

2. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".: When I open any folders, it opens "this PC". When I try win+r and type "control", it opens "this PC". Clicking folders on the "Navigation pane" works correctly. I tried anti-virus software, but it didn't find anything suspicious. I tried to log in with another local user...
  3. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".: When I open any folders, it opens "this PC". When I try win+r and type "control", it opens "this PC". Clicking folders on the "Navigation pane" works correctly. I tried anti-virus software, but it didn't find anything suspicious. I tried to log in with another local user...
  4. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Double click on the folder is not opening it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Double click on the folder is not opening it: Folder on this location is not opening on double-click: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans What to do? Goran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-on-the-folder-is-not-opening-it/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a
  6. Double-clicking opens folders but not files

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-clicking opens folders but not files: When I double-click on a folder, the folder opens. Good. But when I double-click on a file or document for the first time, it doesn't open (i.e., it doesn't launch the application to read that file). Instead, the filename is shaded and there's a box around the filename as if...
  7. Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly & Sometimes it double clicks on...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly & Sometimes it double clicks on...: Left click Highlighting of any text does not work correctly Sometimes double clicks on single click The issue happens on multiple systems – I have 5 computer systems 1 desktop 4 Laptop various makes/models Custom Desktop Lenovo Legion Y520 Lenovo Yoga 710 HP Specter...
  8. Gaming mouse- Double click folders "fast" not working...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gaming mouse- Double click folders "fast" not working...: I picked up a gaming mouse - a corsair m65 rgb elite. I think it's a little bit older? But I very very rarely play my 2 video games so I'm sure I don't find as much use out of it as a hardcore gamer, but it's really cool it's got a ton of buttons and flashing rainbow lights...
  9. [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click

in Windows 10 Support
    [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click: Recently, an issue arised in which I can't open file folders with double click. The spinning wheel cursor shows up for a split second but nothing happens. I have to open context menu and choose Open to access the folder. I noticed I can't open folders within Chrome download...
  10. Double click folder opens new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Double click folder opens new folder: I have a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro and for some reason when I double click a folder, it opens a new folder. Also the the folders that show in the left side pane, if I click on eg music, it opens a new folder. I have 2 drives and when I open a folder from each and...