Windows 10: Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window

Discus and support Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; It's an annoying and wired problem that I couldn't solve even with reinstalling the Windows, which when I click on a folder, the folders will be open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Pedram Asshabi, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window

It's an annoying and wired problem that I couldn't solve even with reinstalling the Windows, which when I click on a folder, the folders will be open in a new window sometimes...Note it doesn't happen always!I'm not sure if this happens with an update on Windows 10 or not. I didn't have this problem before, it's quite some time that I encountered this problem, in the hope whether someone encounters the same issue or new updates will fix it soon. So I switched to Windows 11 and the problem is there yet.

:)

Pedram Asshabi, Nov 8, 2021
  2. KomouPoji Win User

Whenever I open a folder, it opens in new window (Windows 10)

Hi Pratyaksh,

To assist you further, let me ask.

• What changes have you make in the folder options?

• Is the error specific to a folder?
    I would suggest you to follow the steps and check if it help.

• Open file explorer, click on view and select options.

• Double-click on options, in the general tab click on Open each folder in the same Window.

• Click apply and ok.
    I hope the information is helpful and if you need any other assistance on Windows, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Nov 8, 2021
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 8, 2021
  4. Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window

Explorer opens a new window every time I double-click a folder

Hello Tenforums!
    First I'd like you to thank you for all the times you've helped a frusterated little guy with his PC-problems - even thought I never registrered, I've been here quite some times.

The problem
    Anyways, on to the problem. As the title states; every time I double-click a folder in Windows Explorer, it opens in a new window. I know there have been problems on this in earlier versions of Windows. I'm running Windows 10, but I've yet to found a solution to this problem.

What is weird about this, is the following. The ONLY time a folder opens in a new window, is when the folder is located in the PICTURES folder. On some occurrences, the folder I'm clicking is opening twice.

Another strange thing I noticed, is when I delete something. When I used to delete something, the folder would automatically update and remove the file without me needing to do anything. Now, I have to refresh the folder I'm in to actually be able to see the picture I deleted gone.

Here's what I've tried:
    • Making sure the registry key of HKCR\Folder is empty.
    • Running the sfc /scannow command in an elevated command prompt
    • Checking the Explorer options for opening a folder in the same window or a different one on and off.
    • Checking the double-click and single-click options on and off.
    • Making sure I do not have this "Vault" program that everyone is talking about... SourceGear Vault?
    • Refreshing the Windows Explorer process in Task Manager.

Explaning the .GIF I linked (if you didn't understand it)

1. I'm double-clicking a folder within the PICTURES folder.
    2. Two windows open of the folder I clicked. There are now currently 3 windows open
    3. I close the two windows, and redirect into the MUSIC folder.
    4. I double-click a folder in MUSIC and the folder opens in the same window.

Ireliavent, Nov 8, 2021
Thema:

Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window

1. Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window - Similar Threads - Double click folders

2. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".: When I open any folders, it opens "this PC". When I try win+r and type "control", it opens "this PC". Clicking folders on the "Navigation pane" works correctly. I tried anti-virus software, but it didn't find anything suspicious. I tried to log in with another local user...
  3. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".: When I open any folders, it opens "this PC". When I try win+r and type "control", it opens "this PC". Clicking folders on the "Navigation pane" works correctly. I tried anti-virus software, but it didn't find anything suspicious. I tried to log in with another local user...
  4. Double click on any folders , it opens "this PC".

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window: It's an annoying and wired problem that I couldn't solve even with reinstalling the Windows, which when I click on a folder, the folders will be open in a new window sometimes...Note it doesn't happen always!I'm not sure if this happens with an update on Windows 10 or not. I...
  6. Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double click on folders sometimes opens a new window: It's an annoying and wired problem that I couldn't solve even with reinstalling the Windows, which when I click on a folder, the folders will be open in a new window sometimes...Note it doesn't happen always!I'm not sure if this happens with an update on Windows 10 or not. I...
  7. Double click on the folder is not opening it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Double click on the folder is not opening it: Folder on this location is not opening on double-click: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans What to do? Goran https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/double-click-on-the-folder-is-not-opening-it/aa21da0d-6dd6-4fa8-8573-baa846f4454a
  8. Double-clicking opens folders but not files

in Windows 10 Support
    Double-clicking opens folders but not files: When I double-click on a folder, the folder opens. Good. But when I double-click on a file or document for the first time, it doesn't open (i.e., it doesn't launch the application to read that file). Instead, the filename is shaded and there's a box around the filename as if...
  9. [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click

in Windows 10 Support
    [SOLVED] Folders not opening with double click: Recently, an issue arised in which I can't open file folders with double click. The spinning wheel cursor shows up for a split second but nothing happens. I have to open context menu and choose Open to access the folder. I noticed I can't open folders within Chrome download...
  10. Double click folder opens new folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Double click folder opens new folder: I have a fresh installation of Windows 10 Pro and for some reason when I double click a folder, it opens a new folder. Also the the folders that show in the left side pane, if I click on eg music, it opens a new folder. I have 2 drives and when I open a folder from each and...