Windows 10: Double click on *.reg file does NOT change the key value in Registry

Discus and support Double click on *.reg file does NOT change the key value in Registry in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have a *.reg script which just modifies (overwrites) the value of a certain, existing Registry key. When I double click on it (similar to Win7) then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pstein, Feb 15, 2020.

1. pstein Win User

Double click on *.reg file does NOT change the key value in Registry

I have a *.reg script which just modifies (overwrites) the value of a certain, existing Registry key.

When I double click on it (similar to Win7) then a popup appears asking me if I really want to add the key.
    After clicking Ok I was informed that the key value has been added successfully.

However when I peek into the Registry DB then the old key is still unchanged.

Whats wrong?

I disabled UAC completely (slider to lowest possible position) and my user is member of the Administrator group.

:)

pstein, Feb 15, 2020

2. ForcedReboot Registry Key Value

Hi Daniel,

ForcedReboot is one of the subkeys in the registry. Subkeys contain data entries called values. The presence of a value on a key is a form of data that an application requires for it to run. An application opens a key and uses the values associated with
    the key to perform specific functions. A key can have any number of values, and the values can be in any form.

You can visit these links for further information about registry values:

Note: We do not recommend navigating and editing the values of the keys and subkeys in the registry. Changing the values of the keys and subkeys in the registry might cause serious system issues.

We would like to ask if you are experiencing any issues on your Windows device. Since you are interested on finding what the value of a subkey stands for, we think that you are trying to troubleshoot your computer. If in case you are having any errors or
    issues with your Microsoft products, let us know so that we could assist you further.

We are looking forward to your response.

Darleen Pen, Feb 15, 2020
  3. mgorski10 Win User
    Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

Hi Frederik,

Thanks for responding and I appreciate your willingness to help. I have looked at nircmd prior to making my initial post, and the best it can do is mute the microphone. I am checking to see if this will meet the requirement I was given but I gave a feeling
    it will not. Having said that, this is what I have found so far while testing:

• I found if I disable the microphone within device manager and either log off or reboot, the mic will still be functional. At the same time the data for the DeviceState value will not change from 1 (active) to 10000001 (disabled) in the reg key I originally
      mentioned.
    • If I use devcon to do the disablement, the above is true as well.
    • If I go to the sound applet within control panel > recording tab > right click on microphone > properties > set device usage to "Don't use this device", the DeviceState will change to 10000001. It will be hidden in device manager and will not accept any
      audio input.
    • If I manually change the DeviceState to 10000001 a reboot is required for this key to take effect. After the reboot the device is hidden in device manager and the mic will not accept any input.
    • I've imaged a machine and my targeted reg key was this: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\{af45fadf-1fb3-4576-bd59-48ab1eb861b5} After I reimaged the same machine, the GUID at the end changed to {d4ce43de-9eb9-4714-977a-3482b2e74460.}
      I have checked this key on several machines, both the same model and different, and the key is different each time.
    • I believe I have found a way to identify the key to target as there is a value called {a45c254e-df1c-4efd-8020-67d146a850e0},2 with the data "Microphone Array" at the reg key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\<RandomGUID>\Properties.
      This value is the same on every machine I have looked at.

Thanks,

Mike

mgorski10, Feb 15, 2020
  4. snljty Win User

Is that possible to APPEND something to a string value by a .REG file?

Hello,

I am trying to modify my registry and I want to APPEND something to the value of a key, like:

modify

[some\path\to\a\key]

"key_name"="original_key_value"

to

[some\path\to\a\key]

"key_name"="original_key_value appended_key_value"

using a .REG file.

Is that possible?

Thanks dear community contributors.

snljty, Feb 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Double click on *.reg file does NOT change the key value in Registry - Similar Threads - Double click reg

2. How do I copy the value of a Registry Key, or part of the value, using a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I copy the value of a Registry Key, or part of the value, using a .reg file?: I want to set up a .reg file for restoring all my customizations when I reinstall or move to a new computer, but I do not have certainty that the file structure or registry values will be the same. So, I need modify some keys with imperfect information about their values. For...
  3. How do I copy the value of a Registry Key, or part of the value, using a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I copy the value of a Registry Key, or part of the value, using a .reg file?: I want to set up a .reg file for restoring all my customizations when I reinstall or move to a new computer, but I do not have certainty that the file structure or registry values will be the same. So, I need modify some keys with imperfect information about their values. For...
  4. How do I copy the value of a Registry Key, or part of the value, using a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Windows Registry key value change in different time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Registry key value change in different time: Dear Sir, Customer has a Windows 2016 active directory using with group policy. He has a problem of Windows registry key value change time to time during computer usage for several hours. The registry value is Proxyoverride.When the computer startup after login , it has a...
  6. Is it possible to change (Default) value with a .reg file?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to change (Default) value with a .reg file?: I am trying to change (Default) value of "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\shell\edit\command" to easily edit with Krita. Actually, I did it manually, but when I try to create a .rig file of it to run after format etc. It doesn't work. This is what I...
  7. reg save -> ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value Registry

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    reg save -> ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value Registry: I would like to save/backup all registry entries that accumulate over a while in a certain part of the registry. Ultimately, I would to have that done more or less automatically with a batch file triggered by the Task Scheduler So far I have tried in the command window which...
  8. Modifying Registry with "reg" file

in Windows 10 Support
    Modifying Registry with "reg" file: I exported a HKCU key and saved it as a reg file. I now want to import it to another HDD. Prior to doing this I noticed the properties list in the Receiving system: 1) Contains the same list of items BUT 2) Are in a different order than the exported file. What to confirm...
  9. changing key in reg

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    changing key in reg: Tried to change the key in directx. Message New Key#1 entered new key following this message. Hit enter. Closed directx and the old key number was still listed. What do I need to do?...
  10. Change registry value in dynamically created registry key

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change registry value in dynamically created registry key: Hello, I need find a way to disable the onboard microphone on a number of Windows 10 laptops I am imaging via SCCM OSD. After a lot of research it seems the best way to do this is by changing a registry value that controls whether the mic is enabled or disabled. I've...