Windows 10: Double entries in start menu

Discus and support Double entries in start menu in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have the same problem in two different pc My start menu has some double entries (see picture) [img] and more I checked the start menu... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by onosendai, Sep 22, 2016.

1. onosendai Win User

Double entries in start menu

Hi, I have the same problem in two different pc

My start menu has some double entries (see picture)

Double entries in start menu [​IMG]
    and more

I checked the start menu folders:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
    but I didn't find a solution

In addition, I have other entries that I didn't find in the folders (and I need to move them in subdir, to better organize the menu)

Someone know how to solve these issue?
    Thanks in advance

:)

onosendai, Sep 22, 2016

2. Double entry

I am having the exact same issue except with Shazam. Bought it, one day it suggested there was an update to the app, and ever since then, it has had this extra erroneous entry.

Here is my take. It appears that the Marketplace profile for those of us with the issue, is corrupted or bad in some form or fashion. I have flashed my phone with multiple roms since this happened, and it still persists. It is strictly an MS problem.

gehzumteufel, Sep 22, 2016
  3. karelj Win User
    Double entry

I had this issue also and this was my solution. I removed the programs thru MarketPlace, then went into the phone's native remove programs function and removed anything that mentioned the app(s) in question. I then re-installed thru MarketPlace and they
    were only listed once.

karelj, Sep 22, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I can't definitely tell you why you have two identical shortcuts, but I can tell you you only get one folder level expressed in Win 10's start menu.

Here's a suggestion for Avast: In your start menu folder do you have a shortcut at the top level as well as within a subfolder? That's what Avast normally creates. I deleted the first a long time back, and have only one visible.

For example, I have a hierarchical start menu with category folders, subcategory folders and a folder for most programs- normal legacy start menu familiar from '98 to Win 7. It's fine if I use Classic Shell. But here's how you can see Win 10's start menu strips out the shortcuts and arranges them so helpfully in alphabetic order.

Double entries in start menu [​IMG]

All those help files are shortcuts in separate subfolders. I suppose the appropriate comment might be 'Help'!

Given what you are seeing this suggests the shortcuts that appear identical perhaps aren't?
    The Windows Start Menu hides duplicate shortcuts - MOBZystems

dalchina, Sep 22, 2016
  5. onosendai Win User
    Thank you dalchina, reading your reply, a light bulb turned on in my head

I moved out from the start menu subfolder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs the shortcuts duplicated, and after I re-moved in the folder.
    The start menu auto-updated itself and now I have just one shortcut

I did the same with the shortcuts I want to organize. I find them in a subfolder, move-out and move-in in the right position

Probably windows didn't update something
    Now the start menu is ok

Thanks

onosendai, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Double entries in start menu - Similar Threads - Double entries start

2. Double entry and clicking

in Windows 10 Customization
    Double entry and clicking: my cat walked across my keyboard and now when I type, each entry is noted with an audible "click" and I am also not able to type double keys , i.e. can not type "letter" without typing "letspace" then backspace to delete the space then finish with"ter". I cannot backspace...
  3. Broken Start Menu entries?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Broken Start Menu entries?: [ATTACH] https://preview.redd.it/zt79tg13vcv51.png?width=789&format=png&auto=webp&s=ebefe42b3912058296b64c96a73e6822f049e84b My start menu shows these after the update to Windows 10 2004. I did sfc /scannow and it did not find anything wrong. I checked the store and...
  4. Entries in the Start Menu can't be removed

Entries in the Start Menu can't be removed: Hi there, I have two entries in my Start Menu that can't be removed. Both the programs have been uninstalled from my computer, but their entries are still there. I tried: Going to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs to remove them there, but they aren't...
  5. User Accounts - double entry

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User Accounts - double entry: When I start up a user called "John" appears,signs in automatically then a second "user" appears called "Carrot Museum", that signs in automatically, and I can start to work. Only one person uses this laptop. Screen shot of users screen attached shows (4th one down) John...
  6. Holographic entry in Start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Holographic entry in Start menu: After updating to W10 1903, I noticed I have an entry for something called Holographic (below Xbox in picture). If I click the entry, nothing opens and a DistributedCom Error 10001 is logged in Events log. Searches for Holographic tell me this thing is related to Mixed...
  7. Start Menu Broken Apps List entry

Start Menu Broken Apps List entry: So I recently tried to uninstall the pre-installed version of Microsoft Office from my computer, and install Office 365 from my educational institution in its place. To my knowledge I did so successfully, with a small exception. I managed to remove most of the original...
  8. Duplicate ‘my office’ entries in start menu

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Duplicate ‘my office’ entries in start menu: Loads of ms apps updated today, one of them ‘get office’. Now have two entries of ‘my office’ in start menu. How can I get rid of / hide one. One does nothing, the other launches it as normal. I tried right click uninstall on the one that does nothing but it doesn’t do...
  9. Double entries in directory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Double entries in directory: Hi Chaps apologies if this has been asked before, but here goes. I recently upgraded my windows 7 laptop to windows 10. It would seem to have been successful, and I am pleased with the outcome. Just noticed a little quirk, and need advice. When I plug in a USB memory...
  10. Duplicate Start Menu Entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate Start Menu Entries: After performing a "reset PC" last night and installing (some) of my programs, I noticed the start menu has duplicate entries for some of them. [img] In addition to Evernote, the other programs with double entries are Malwarebytes and ShareX. Both entries (for each...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dual entries in start menu