Windows 10: Double quotes key requires second key press.

Discus and support Double quotes key requires second key press. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have four systems, each with a regular+cyrillic keyboard and have been using them for years with Windows 7 & 8.1, switching between the two formats,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jerbil, Aug 10, 2015.

1. jerbil Win User

Double quotes key requires second key press.

I have four systems, each with a regular+cyrillic keyboard and have been using them for years with Windows 7 & 8.1, switching between the two formats, without a problem. As an aside, a couple of the systems, having bought them in Bulgaria, have non-English messages but the few that occur, although annoying, I have tolerated.

Now, having updated one of the Win 7 systems to Win 10 and having tweaked language so, at least at the user level, I get everything in English, I have a strange situation where the " key will not produce the character until another key is pressed. It is the only key that reacts like that. I'm not sure if the tweaking or Windows 10 itself is the problem.

Any ideas why this is happening and how to overcome it?

:)

jerbil, Aug 10, 2015

2. Pressing the '@' key displays double quotes, and vice versa, after creating new user in Windows 10

Hello Stephen,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We understand your concern in this regard.

If your Keyboard layout is UK (United Kingdom), then I suggest you to cross check with the Keyboard Layout selected under
    Language in Settings
    app.

* Press Start,

* Navigate to Settings/>Time & Language />Region & language

* Under Language, ensure that you have selected
    English (United Kingdom)
    . Also it should be selected as
    Set as default
    . If not, try to make those changes, reboot your PC and see if it fix the issue.

In case the Language is already selected as
    English (United Kingdom), then add some other language, make it as default, and then reboot your PC. Now change the
    Language back to English (United Kingdom),
    then make it Set as default. Reboot your PC and see if everything works fine.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Aug 10, 2015
  3. Pressing the '@' key displays double quotes, and vice versa, after creating new user in Windows 10

Thanks for the quick response. I've tried what you suggested but the problem still exists.

StephenCrutchley, Aug 10, 2015
  4. JoJora Win User

I assume it's because you chose "english international"
    I had the same problem - when pressing the quote key, i had to press it again in order to get the double quote.
    the solution for me was:
    Control Panel -> Language ->for the English button choose 'options' (on the right) -> remove input method called 'english international' (and make sure you stay with the US option).

JoJora, Aug 14, 2015
  5. jerbil Win User
    Thanks but the list is so confusing (it only shows non-shifted and none of the formats match (my) actual keyboard physically) and I am not sure if it is a selected Language or keyboard issue. I have now gone with English (United States) w/ UK Extended keyboard and English (United Kingdom) w/United Kingdom Keyboard, apart from five Bulgarian w/various keyboard options. The upshot is that using my Win+shift method of switching, I can never get the double quote back where it appears on the keyboard (it is always swapped with the @) which, in a sense, is fine because I never have to press a second key to get it to display and, as I used to have a 50/50 chance of hitting the correct key (" or @) , so long as I remember they are swapped, I can get it right 100% of the time.

jerbil, Aug 14, 2015
  6. jaribhai Win User
    I really owe you a huge thanks..

jaribhai, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Double quotes key requires second key press. - Similar Threads - Double quotes key

2. Cannot quickly double-press keys on keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot quickly double-press keys on keyboard: Hi all, I have an HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13t-aw000 running Windows 11. The issue that I'm having is that that I cannot quickly type two of the same character using my keyboard. For instance when typing the 'oo' in the word 'food' I either need to press 'o' three times in...
  3. Single or Double Quote key not working in Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Single or Double Quote key not working in Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]When you use the Single or Double Quote key on your keyboard to insert quotation marks into a document, you may have noticed that the Quote key is not working on Windows 11/10 properly. And this can frustrate you when you are in the middle of typing up your document...
  4. Need to press the quote " key twice in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to press the quote " key twice in windows 10: Taken from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-press-the-quote-key-twice/961fc04f-367f-4527-9724-d0e0a79edb5fPosting again as it may help since above thread is locked. How i solved it in windows 10, since the suggestion/answer given in above did not...
  5. Need to press the quote " key twice in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to press the quote " key twice in windows 10: Taken from https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-press-the-quote-key-twice/961fc04f-367f-4527-9724-d0e0a79edb5fPosting again as it may help since above thread is locked. How i solved it in windows 10, since the suggestion/answer given in above did not...
  6. Need to press the quote " key twice

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need to press the quote " key twice: Hello. I recently bought a keyboard with US layout I'm from Argentina and it is a compact version so I dont have the arrow keys and the numpad. Anyway, I set the windows language for the keyboard on US International because it lets me have the letter ñ by pressing AltR + n...
  7. Double key presses

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Double key presses: Recently I have been getting double keypresses on every key randomly. Not every time do the keys double press, but it seems if the key hasn't been pressed in a while it sometimes double presses. I've tried changing keyboards, didn't work. I've tried updating and reverting...
  8. I have to double press the backspace key

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have to double press the backspace key: Hello, Since yesterday I sometimes can't type properly and already tried reinstalling my keyboard drivers etc. Then I realized, that the built-in on-screen keyboard from Microsoft isn't working as well. Now I know, that when I press the backspace key I have to press it again...
  9. When i press a key, and press the second key while holding down the first key, the second...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    When i press a key, and press the second key while holding down the first key, the second...: when i press the left arrow key, and when i press up arrow key while holding left, the up arrow doesnt work same happens with "W", "E" and "'" and ";" i am a gamer and i cant play many games because of this issue i dont have an idea that its technical or hardware issue...
  10. Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need to press quotes and double quotes twice in Windows 10: This problem has been reported many times with previous versions of Windows - and the fix has always been to change the keyboard from US International to US Standard. Brief description of the problem for those not familiar: Pressing a quote - or double quote - does not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. double quotes require second press

2. double quote requires second key press to show both

3. quotes key requires second key press

4. double-quotes-key-requires-second-key-press.html