Windows 10: Downgrade to 32 bit - not giving me option,is just reinstalling 64 bit

Discus and support Downgrade to 32 bit - not giving me option,is just reinstalling 64 bit in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; If you could fill in your specs it would help others help you, System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums Your TenForums system specs Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by donaldp, Jul 11, 2016.

1. derekimo Win User

Downgrade to 32 bit - not giving me option,is just reinstalling 64 bit

derekimo, Jul 14, 2016
  2. Berton Win User

You can do a clean install/wipe of the HDD to do an install of either 32-bit or 64-bit but not both at once. Some folks have run one version installed and the other version as a VM/Virtual Machine but it requires 2 separate licenses/Product Keys to do so. Win7 came with 2 DVDs in the package, had a choice of which to install but usually required installing the same version as was already installed, either 32-bit or 64-bit, since the Upgrade had to start from within Windows. Haven't seen the same packaging on Win8 or Win8.1 but then haven't really searched, just read the ads in my E-Mail.

UEFI requires the 64-bit version of Windows 10 but the version that is being upgraded on older hardware may determine that, for example I have Win10 Pro on a 6-year-old computer upgraded from Win7 which did not use UEFI 'back then' so the MSinfo32 shows the BIOS Mode as Legacy even though it's the 64-bit version of Win10 [and as was Win7].

Berton, Jul 14, 2016
  3. Retail install media used to come with two DVD's, one 32 bit and one 64 bit. I haven't bough full Retail Windows install media in a long time though. If you can't find the 32 bit DVD, you can get 32 bit install media here, Access Denied Your product code is good for 32 bit or 64 bit, its your choice.

alphanumeric, Jul 14, 2016
  4. Downgrade to 32 bit - not giving me option,is just reinstalling 64 bit

I have no idea why my link says "access denied" ? I saw that in another post on this forum too? Link still works though?

5. donaldp Win User
    Thanks, but I still don't know if it will work on my computer yet. It has been said that it can't be done with a UEFI computer, and despite having asked twice already I still don't know where to find that information (no point trying to do 32 bit if it's not going to work due to UEFI)? I presume somewhere in the BIOS, but only thing I can see so far is a reference to EFI boot, and I'm not sure if that's the same thing or not (and I have set it to non-EFI boot now, in case it is the same thing). If someone can tell me where to find this, and it turns out my computer isn't UEFI, then I can spend some more time seeing if I can get 32 bit to work. Downgrade to 32 bit - not giving me option,is just reinstalling 64 bit :)

donaldp, Jul 14, 2016
  6. This might help, Secure Boot - Enable or Disable in UEFI It should lead you in the right direction. Turning off UEFI is a BIOS setting. There are links to other similar tutorials towards the bottom.

7. You still need the install media to even try it. You were trying to do it so I posted where to get the correct install media. Have a look at this. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html
    BIOS Mode - See if Windows Boot in UEFI or Legacy Mode

8. donaldp Win User

Thanks! Using those links I was able to establish that my PC is NOT UEFI, so we've now established that's not an issue. Downgrade to 32 bit - not giving me option,is just reinstalling 64 bit :) Won't get another chance to try 32 bit until next week now though. Will keep you posted when I do try again.

donaldp, Jul 15, 2016
  9. Good stuff, good luck.

alphanumeric, Jul 15, 2016
  10. donaldp Win User
    So I used the Media Creation tool to download a 32-bit version onto a USB. I decided to install in a VM first, to just play around with it and see if it does/doesn't solve the issues I've been having. I have VirtualBox installed, and followed these directions How to Boot From a USB Drive in VirtualBox. At first it didn't work because I forgot to run as administrator (permission issue). Once I remembered to do that I still had an error message though, and clicking on the details indicated a space problem... but there is definitely plenty of space (on both the USB and the hard drive - many Gb in both cases).

So, for those who have successfully installed in a VM before (not something I have much experience with), what do you suggest? A different VM tool? Something I may be missing in the config? Not sure why it thinks there's not much space when there definitely is. :-\

donaldp, Jul 17, 2016
  11. I don't use VM's but it sounds to me that its a free space issue in the VM. On the virtual hard drive, not the physical hard drive. Make your VM bigger, if that's possible.

alphanumeric, Jul 17, 2016
  12. Barman58 Win User
    @Kari is probably best to advise here ... The link should make him aware *Smile

Barman58, Jul 17, 2016
  13. Kari Win User

Thanks for confidence Nigel. I suspect I am not able to help in this case as most of I can think of has already been posted, although I have a few suggestions to OP.

You have stated earlier that you are sure your PC is not UEFI but instead legacy BIOS system. To be absolutely sure, check this tutorial on our sister site EightForums.com: BIOS Mode - See if Windows Boot in UEFI or Legacy Mode

It helps you to be sure beyond a doubt if your PC is running in UEFI or legacy BIOS mode.

If legacy BIOS you should be able to simply download 32 bit version of Windows 10 installer, make a DVD or USB flash drive and install a 32 bit Windows.

About testing first on virtual machine, here's my suggestion: download a 32 bit Windows ISO and create a vm making it boot from this ISO. Your system specs tell you have Windows 10 PRO which includes Hyper-V virtualization. In your case I would forget VirtualBox and use Hyper-V instead and create a Hyper-V vm for Windows 10 32 bit. Skip the Product Key when asked, you can run your Windows 10 vm quite a while without activating it.

When done, when you have Windows 10 32 bit installed on a Hyper-V vm, shut down the vm and and use the virtual hard disk of it to set it up in native dual boot. This way you can test this 32 bit Windows on your actual hardware instead of a vm, install some of your older software not working in 64 bit Windows and see if they run in 32 bit Windows on your hardware.

Sounds complicated but is actually easy and fast. See these tutorials to get you started:

Thema:

1. Downgrade to 32 bit - not giving me option,is just reinstalling 64 bit - Similar Threads - Downgrade bit giving

2. 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    32 bit to 64 bit: Why do all my apps suddenly turn from 64 bit to 32 bit? On Windows 11. Pls help! E.g. Steam is on 32 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/17fd69e3-2162-44d1-9acc-3d58e2ed3a23
  3. 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    32 bit to 64 bit: Why do all my apps suddenly turn from 64 bit to 32 bit? On Windows 11. Pls help! E.g. Steam is on 32 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/17fd69e3-2162-44d1-9acc-3d58e2ed3a23
  4. 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    32 bit to 64 bit: I attempted to change an HP Mini 110notebook from Windows 10 32 bit Windows to Windows 10 64 bit. It originally came with Windows 7 andI later upgraded to Windows 10 but it was the 32 bit version. It hasa 64 bit CPU so I downloaded the Media Creation Tool and used it todo a...
  5. 32 bit to 64 bit

32 bit to 64 bit: i want to make my pc 64 bit but i got anti virus in my pc will my anti virus get deleted if i make my pc 64 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/e75ae8f8-beb8-49d2-ba0f-d1fbc2297c74
  6. 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Customization
    32 bit to 64 bit: can I upgrade my 32 bit to 64 bit plz help me I nwanna play fortnite https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/67efd3f2-6406-4c88-9aa7-667bf8b42650
  7. 32 bit to 64 bit

in Windows 10 Customization
    32 bit to 64 bit: Hi Guys I installed windows 10 as an update. the laptop will take 64 bit but is running windows 10 as 32 bit how do i change it to 64 bit? Thanks for any advice https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/32-bit-to-64-bit/55e0e1c7-2b84-49fa-bfcd-157401ffc8a8
  8. WINDOWS 10 64 BIT DOES NOT LET ME DOWNGRADE TO 32 BIT

WINDOWS 10 64 BIT DOES NOT LET ME DOWNGRADE TO 32 BIT: I want to downgrade to windows 10 from 64 bit to 32 bit. I purchased windows 10 32 bit ISO and have it on a bootable UBS stick. However, the system does not let me install it. No way to go back to the old version also. What can I do?...
  9. 64 bit to 32 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    64 bit to 32 bit: Have a Asus laptop with 64 bit system loaded win10 64 bit used 89% of ram contacted Asus unit not suitable for win 10 is there a way to run win10 32 bit on a 64 bit system as this should use less ram. . 39318
  10. 32 bit or 64 bit

in Windows 10 Support
    32 bit or 64 bit: Hello,All my programs, installed and portable, are according to my system 32 bit.Since I have in mind to replace my problematic "old" computer, Will I be able to use them (install) on a 64 bit system ?Answers will be appreciatedThanks 92122