Windows 10: Downgrading from Unactivated Windows 10 Enterprise to OEM Windows 10 Home

Discus and support Downgrading from Unactivated Windows 10 Enterprise to OEM Windows 10 Home in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello! I recently tried to transfer a Windows 10 Professional product key to my current computer, as I am no longer going to use the old computer. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by ALi_793, Dec 27, 2020.

1. ALi_793 Win User

Downgrading from Unactivated Windows 10 Enterprise to OEM Windows 10 Home

Hello!

I recently tried to transfer a Windows 10 Professional product key to my current computer, as I am no longer going to use the old computer. I extracted the product key from the old computer using a product key extractor tool, deactivated it on the old machine using slmgr, and then copied and pasted that product key into my current computer using the "Change product key" feature under Activation in the Windows Settings app. After copying the key and pressing enter, everything seemed to be fine until a day later, when a message popped up saying Windows was inactivated. After clicking "Troubleshoot," the problem was resolved, and it was activated. However, the message popped up again yesterday, and this time, clicking "Troubleshoot" gave me the following screen:

Downgrading from Unactivated Windows 10 Enterprise to OEM Windows 10 Home a014f40d-1164-40e2-a2fd-57b2ab1a9009?upload=true.png

This happened even though I am connected to the internet checked by accessing Google, even Windows Update still can install new updates.

Additionally, and even weirder, the product key that shows under Activation is not the product key I originally copied over. On top of that, it looks like the current product key is an OEM key from the product ID. Even even weirder, it is showing that I have Windows 10 Enterprise instead of Professional.

Downgrading from Unactivated Windows 10 Enterprise to OEM Windows 10 Home f2c45e1f-7128-409f-98d7-b2e5598a3a67?upload=true.png

My laptop came preinstalled with Windows 10 Home, and I have verified that there is still a product key embedded in the BIOS. However, an attempt to directly enter that product key into "Change product key" yields the following error:

Downgrading from Unactivated Windows 10 Enterprise to OEM Windows 10 Home ea9a597c-7fbe-4798-9a00-371ac437076f?upload=true.png

It is also important to mention that I am not entirely sure if the product key on my old computer for Windows 10 Professional is an OEM key or a retail key.

Further, any attempts to use Windows 10's built-in "Reset this PC" tool bring me right back to the same inactivated copy of Windows 10 Enterprise. I assume this is because "Reset this PC" downloads a fresh copy of your current OS, which in my case is Enterprise even though I would instead like Home.

From poking around on assorted forum posts, I think the next course of action is to do a fresh install of Windows 10 using a USB drive, created using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. I assume that my copy of Windows 10 Home will be automatically activated using the BIOS product key. Is this the correct way of approaching my problem? I would greatly appreciate any input.

:)

ALi_793, Dec 27, 2020
  2. sbpetrack Win User

Downgrading Windows 10 enterprise to pro

The procedure is a bit arcane, but I have managed to convert an Enterprise Evaluation to Pro, doing it in two steps: EnterpriseEval to Enterprise (unactivated); then Enterprise (unactivated) to Pro. Details here.

(Note to the moderator/owner: apologies if this is not an appropriate post for this thread, in which case I thank you for deleting it. I posted only to update/correct the assertion quoted above.)

sbpetrack, Dec 27, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 27, 2020
  4. rtwjunkie Win User

my windows 10 oem didn't come with a product key

Dude, go to Newegg right now and read the questions and answers tab on Windows 10 OEM. The OEM copies that are listed there DO in fact, come on an optical disc. The flash drive ONLY comes on Retail copies.

rtwjunkie, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Downgrading from Unactivated Windows 10 Enterprise to OEM Windows 10 Home - Similar Threads - Downgrading Unactivated Enterprise

2. Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to W10 Home?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to W10 Home?: Hello, I recently changed my motherboard and I'm now encountering the "Activate Windows" watermark on my screen. I ran the Activation troubleshooter and then pressed the "I changed hardware on this device recently" button to see this message: "Unable to activate Windows. We...
  3. Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to W10 Home?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to W10 Home?: Hello, I recently changed my motherboard and I'm now encountering the "Activate Windows" watermark on my screen. I ran the Activation troubleshooter and then pressed the "I changed hardware on this device recently" button to see this message: "Unable to activate Windows. We...
  4. Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to W10 Home?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Home: I want to downgrade from Enterprise to Home . I just wanted to know if it's possible or not. If yes, how do I it? and will I lose data in the process?...
  6. Downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Home

Downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Home: Soo I have a problem downgrading Windows 10 Enterprise to Home which was the default Edition of my new Notebook Dell Inspiron 14. This is what I did what happened: - First, I got this new notebook and started it .. the normal Windows Home startup "wizard" showed up and...
  7. Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to Windows 10 Home: Hi, Good day to all of you reading. Lets start with for some strange reason, I tried Windows 10 Enterprise, I want to downgrade to Windows 10 Home. What's the issue? My product key does not work. Do I have to reinstall Windows, and if so can I do this without loosing any of...
  8. Downgrading from Windows 10 Enterprise to Home

Downgrading from Windows 10 Enterprise to Home: Hello, I wish to downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise edition to Home, and I've been looking at some forums regarding the topic. However, they all seem to state that a clean installation is required. Is there a way to avoid having to completely clean my PC in order to do this...
  9. Downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Home

Downgrade Windows 10 Enterprise to Home: I recently acquired a used Surface Pro 4 from my husband's company and wanted to change from Enterprise to Home. I have purchased a digital version of Home, but have since found out that I need at least Windows 10 Pro for work. I have not been able to install the Home onto...
  10. Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to Home

Downgrade from Windows 10 Enterprise to Home: I have a licence to activate Windows using a Windows 10 Home copy on a computer, but the computer I want it on will not let me downgrade from Enterprise, which my friend had put on it and it was an invalid Key, and I want Home put on it, but I can't activate it with Home...