Windows 10: download files from backup thumbdrive.

Discus and support download files from backup thumbdrive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I downloaded Windows 10 on my computer, replacing the OS that came with it (Windows 7). I have a thumb drive that contains a lot of apps and stuff... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GShand2, Jul 29, 2019.

1. GShand2 Win User

download files from backup thumbdrive.

I downloaded Windows 10 on my computer, replacing the OS that came with it (Windows 7). I have a thumb drive that contains a lot of apps and stuff from my previous computer that is now broken. How can I download this material from the thumb drive to my current computer? Thanks.

GShand2

:)

GShand2, Jul 29, 2019

2. Downloaded files disappear

When you download a file through any browser, there's an option somewhere to 'Open Containing Folder.'

In Windows, to find a file you have downloaded...

1. Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu's right pane.
    2. Double-click one of the following folders:
      • Downloads
      • Documents
      • Pictures
      • Videos
      • Music

If you do not see the file you are looking for, but know its file name, you can search for it by following these steps:
    To search for a file you have downloaded...

1. Click the Start button
    2. Type all or part of the file name into the Search box.
      The file you are looking for will appear in the list of results.

teachermark, Jul 29, 2019
  3. Incorrect File Size

Hi Danny,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience caused and will assist you.

I suggest you to Format the Thumbdrive to NTFS by following the steps below:

1. Right click on the Thumbdrive and select Format.

2. Select NTFS from the list.

3. Click on OK to Format the drive.

Note: Formatting a drive or device will erase the data/content of the device. It is recommended to take a backup of the data and then Format the device.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jul 29, 2019
  4. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Jul 29, 2019
Thema:

1. download files from backup thumbdrive. - Similar Threads - download files backup

2. Restore Files from Backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restore Files from Backup: Hi I have some files on an external HDD which I would like to check to see what they are so when I click on the HDD a box appears asking if I want to restore files from this backup, my question is where will these files go & how do I access them. Also below in the same box it...
  3. Restore Files from Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Restore Files from Backup: Hi I have some files on an external HDD which I would like to check to see what they are so when I click on the HDD a box appears asking if I want to restore files from this backup, my question is where will these files go & how do I access them. Also below in the same box it...
  4. A few files from backup aren't restored from backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A few files from backup aren't restored from backup: A few weeks ago I had to make a backup of my laptop, because I sent it in to be fixed. However when I restored my files from the back up, a few files I made 2-3 weeks before I sent my laptop in didnt show up, I did turn on ''show hidden items"/searched them by name in file...
  5. A few files from backup aren't restored from backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A few files from backup aren't restored from backup: A few weeks ago I had to make a backup of my laptop, because I sent it in to be fixed. However when I restored my files from the back up, a few files I made 2-3 weeks before I sent my laptop in didnt show up, I did turn on ''show hidden items"/searched them by name in file...
  6. Backup a file or download

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Backup a file or download: I got a notification saying that both my antivirus were turned off and so I did a scan and found threats but it didn't let me do the "start actions" so I contacted support and the person sent me a link that said "MSERT" and claimed it was an antivirus and I don't know if that...
  7. USD thumbdrive

in Windows 10 Customization
    USD thumbdrive: How do I show a connected USB drive on the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usd-thumbdrive/b54c8a33-fb59-48b5-af63-1032122b64f4
  8. Unable to copy files from Thumbdrive to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to copy files from Thumbdrive to Windows 10: I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and have had MANY frustrations . The latest is I'm trying to copy files from a thumb drive to my Windows 10 doc and it won't. I have followed all the instructions which are a pain in the **** BTW- you can't just drag over . WHY Microsoft...
  9. downloading to a thumbdrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    downloading to a thumbdrive: I am trying to download an update for my Garmin onto a thumbdrive to transfer to my car. It begins the process but stops at 4.5%. Any thoughts on why I cannot complete the download?...
  10. Download Windows 10 ISO from a thumbdrive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Download Windows 10 ISO from a thumbdrive: HP Stream laptop with corrupted drivers. Microsoft reps have been trying to help me download Windows ISO 10 from a thumbdrive but the they don't know what Function key to hit while powering on the laptop. Any help?...