Windows 10: Download installation files deleted after downloading ISO

Discus and support Download installation files deleted after downloading ISO in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had the Windows 10 install files in $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS totalling >5GB. A few days ago I decided to also download the Windows 10 ISO.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tpriest, Nov 2, 2015.

1. tpriest Win User

Download installation files deleted after downloading ISO

I had the Windows 10 install files in $WINDOWS.~BT and $Windows.~WS totalling >5GB. A few days ago I decided to also download the Windows 10 ISO.

I've now found that the 5GB+ installation files have been deleted.

I'd like to have both options regarding the upgrade and so would like to re-download the installation files. How do I get them re-downloaded?

If I click the Get Windows 10 icon the only option is Upgrade Now, not what I want - unless that will initiate a download and then give me the option of not starting the actual upgrade.

Hope this makes sense.

:)

tpriest, Nov 2, 2015

2. making bootable dvd

microsoft tech downloaded this file and i installed my window from it, first it was an iso file and i converted it and deleted the iso one

Sourabh RAI, Nov 2, 2015
  3. Installing Windows 10 without Windows Setup Temporary Files

Hi Karthicka,

Just to confirm, are you saying that I can't simply upgrade to Windows 10 if I have deleted by "Windows Setup temporary files"? I already have the upgrade downloaded onto my computer, I just have to install it. Are you saying that I must install from an
    ISO file instead?

Thanks for your help.

ETA: To clarify, I deleted my temporary setup files, reserved my copy of Windows 10, downloaded it, and have not yet installed it. I did not delete the temporary setup files after downloading Windows 10.

threehundredtwo, Nov 2, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

I know you want to have both options, but it really is not necessary. You have the ISO file. That's more than enough.

As to the disappearance of $Windows.~BT and WS....................
    Did you do any disk cleanup using the built-in Disk Cleanup or using Ccleaner ?
    Did you recall you selected to delete the "Previous installation file " in order to delete windows.old ?
    I know that happened to me when I used Ccleaner and selected that option under Advanced heading.

davidhk, Nov 2, 2015
  5. tpriest Win User
    I do use Ccleaner regularly but have nothing selected under Advanced. And the files disappeared recently, and I use Ccleaner frequently, I don't think that was the culprit.

Ok, though I understand I don't really need the large download files as I have the ISO, can I go back to having those files, and if so how do I get them to be downloaded?

tpriest, Nov 2, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    Sorry, I have no answer for you.

davidhk, Nov 2, 2015
  7. spapakons Win User
    To download them again, delete the $Windows.~BT and the $Windows.~WS folders, then run Windows Update several times until you see the Get Windows 10 icon again. Click on it, there should be an option to download for installing on a different computer, rather than install now. Select this option to download the files for later use.

spapakons, Nov 2, 2015
  8. tpriest Win User

Sorry to resurrect an elderly thread.

Two questions:

• Clicking the Get Windows 10 icon I get the choice of upgrading now or of downloading the install files. After choosing to download, having deleted the $Windows.~BT and the $Windows.~WS folders, Windows Update runs but tells me my Windows is up to date. I can't get it to actual download the files.
    • Although I have the .ISO, as I understand it, that can only be used to do a clean install for a system that's already been upgraded to Win 10. In other words one that MS knows is legal. Else how will it know to activate?
    To be honest, I'd prefer to do the upgrade to avoid the pain of reinstalling everything.

tpriest, Jan 13, 2016
  9. lx07 Win User
    No, that isn't true. You can definitely use the ISO to do an upgrade.

If you are on Windows 8 mount the ISO and click on setup.exe. If you are on Windows 7 extract the ISO to a folder on the desktop and click on setup.exe. Do not try to boot from the ISO as that is for a clean install.

Have a look at this tutorial starting on step 7 (as you already have the ISO). Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

It checks you have a valid installation as part of the upgrade procedure and (assuming you are) will not ask you for a key.

10. tpriest Win User
    Excellent! Many thanks.

I'd thought the ISO was only for clean installs - I've that already on my laptop, hadn't realised it can be used for an upgrade as well.

Thanks you.

tpriest, Jan 13, 2016
  11. lx07 Win User
    You are most welcome. Good luck with it *Smile

12. spapakons Win User
    And the good news about the ISO is that you don't need SP1 in Windows 7 or upgrade Windows 8 to 8.1 first. The ISO can upgrade directly from Windows 7 RTM or from Windows 8.0

spapakons, Jan 13, 2016
  13. NavyLCDR New Member

Uh-oh. Now we're going to get the two or three members on here who insist that you can't. Even though many, including myself have done it.

NavyLCDR, Jan 13, 2016
  14. My guess is the ISO download uses those same hidden folder(s). They are used as temporary storage of the files until the ISO is created. Then they likely get deleted as a cleanup after function. Wait long enough, and you may get your files downloaded again in the background by the GWX App in the notifications area.

alphanumeric, Jan 13, 2016
  15. spapakons Win User
    Not every ISO. I'm referring to the ISO you download from Microsoft Tech Bench site. This can install straight from 7 or 8. The ISO you create from Get Windows 10 utility cannot.

spapakons, Jan 14, 2016
Thema:

1. Download installation files deleted after downloading ISO - Similar Threads - Download installation files

2. Files Deleted After Successful Download

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files Deleted After Successful Download: I found a similar issue someone posted regarding Windows 7. I downloaded a file from Bitdefender tech support responding to an issue I put to them. They provided a link and I saved the file to 'Downloads'. However, after the download completed, the file was deleted. Here are...
  3. Files Deleted After Successful Download

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files Deleted After Successful Download: I found a similar issue someone posted regarding Windows 7. I downloaded a file from Bitdefender tech support responding to an issue I put to them. They provided a link and I saved the file to 'Downloads'. However, after the download completed, the file was deleted. Here are...
  4. iso file download

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    iso file download: hi! i have been stuck on bsod and i’m pretty sure the only available option is for me to download the iso file for windows. is there any possible way i could download it on my phone or ipad because i don’t have any other computers i could borrow or anything?...
  5. File being deleted after Downloading

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File being deleted after Downloading: Hi, the last few days I've been having some weird issues. I have a Bootstrapper exe file which downloads a set of specific files. Everything runs smoothly, but when the Bootstrapper finishes, another exe file which is the application gets deleted. Its only the exe file which...
  6. download iso file in chunks

download iso file in chunks: Can I download windows 10 iso file in chunks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-iso-file-in-chunks/c207f5aa-0b55-41a0-955e-e1faa9536096
  7. Download .ISO

Download .ISO: I need to download an .ISO of a full install of Windows 10 Professional 64-bit EN with a version number of 1909 AND a build number of 18363.388 or newer. I have to do a repair install of Windows 10 Pro x64 EN with the option of keeping all my files and installed programs. I...
  8. Error downloading the ISO file

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Error downloading the ISO file: I'm currently using an old laptop trying to download the install files for windows 10 onto a usb stick to use on a new pc. I had trouble copying the ISO file onto the usb stick. I deleted the ISO file off my laptop and attempted to download it again and got an error message....
  9. after clean install from downloading iso files from websites

after clean install from downloading iso files from websites: I purchased my lenovo laptop which was of windows 10 pro version. Then I used pirated version of windows 10 education. now I downloaded iso files of windows 10 pro from websites and installed it. And I am now [ATTACH]stuck at the above shown pictures. I don't have the...
  10. ISO Download

ISO Download: Heres my question, i have a laptop with Windows 10 already installed and i plan on building my own PC. Can someone explain if i can use that laptop or an iso file to get windows on my new pc, if it will be a full version, if it will ever expire, and what i need to do so?...