Windows 10: Download Speed fast in Safe Mode but slow otherwise--HELP!

Discus and support Download Speed fast in Safe Mode but slow otherwise--HELP! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All, I have a Dell (2017) Desktop with the normal Commercial Off the Shelf hardware. My download speeds from my ISP are 200 Mbps and that is what I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LukeyK, Oct 8, 2018.

1. LukeyK Win User

Download Speed fast in Safe Mode but slow otherwise--HELP!

All,

I have a Dell (2017) Desktop with the normal Commercial Off the Shelf hardware. My download speeds from my ISP are 200 Mbps and that is what I get (thereabouts) on my phones, Xbox and other devices. My desktop however, pulls in ~ 5-10 Mbps. Spectrum has verified the signal is good (which I believe is correct as all other devices work without issue). The download speed used to be good (say several months ago as I've been away) but now they suck wind. If I start in Safe Mode with networking I get the normal DL speed of 150-200 Mbps (as per speedtest.net). I have no idea if any windows updates caused this and the ISP and the router manufacturer (NETGEAR) state it is not a firmware problem. My modem is the AC1900 Nighthawk (C7000). Does anyone have any idea what settings in Windows 10 are throttling this connection?? It is the Home edition so changing certain things as recommended on some forums is not an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

THanks,

Luke

:)

LukeyK, Oct 8, 2018
  2. Rey Cam Win User

Slow download speed fast upload on Ethernet.

Hi

If a website has a slow server, a fast internet connection may be experienced but may have very slow download speeds. Download speed will be affected with the website server as it also impact your internet connection speed.

You may try a test with other websites and check the results with the website that you are experiencing slow download speed.

Meanwhile, kindly click on this link and find the post created by Santos_Rai
    to troubleshoot network and incoming internet connection.

Kindly post back and share with us the result.

Rey Cam, Oct 8, 2018
  3. Slow Download Speed

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft forums.

• I would suggest you to test the speed using any of the speed test website or app to confirm the upload and download speed.
    • I also suggest you to reset the wireless router to check if that helps.
    • You may plug in the Ethernet cable if available and check the speed.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you

Rajeshwari_Patil, Oct 8, 2018
  4. Download Speed fast in Safe Mode but slow otherwise--HELP!

Slow downloading speed

Hi Manthan,

Regarding your download speed issue, we found a suggestion given by Eeshwar Kumar on our Community page. You can check this link on the suggestion he provided:

Why is Windows Store's download speed so slow?

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Oct 8, 2018
Thema:

Download Speed fast in Safe Mode but slow otherwise--HELP!

1. Download Speed fast in Safe Mode but slow otherwise--HELP! - Similar Threads - Download Speed fast

2. Slow Download Speed, Fast Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow Download Speed, Fast Upload Speed: Good morning Support Community,Having an odd problem that I haven't found a solution for online so am going to post.I recently upgraded my internet to 5 Gb Fiber connection.When I run speed tests I'm getting ~950 Mb/s Download and 2355 Mb/s Upload on my 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet...
  3. Slow Download Speed, Fast Upload Speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow Download Speed, Fast Upload Speed: Good morning Support Community,Having an odd problem that I haven't found a solution for online so am going to post.I recently upgraded my internet to 5 Gb Fiber connection.When I run speed tests I'm getting ~950 Mb/s Download and 2355 Mb/s Upload on my 2.5 Gb/s Ethernet...
  4. Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed: Hey guys, so my internet speed is around 60 mbps but I only get 1-5 mb/s when I download games on Steam or Battlenet. My OS is Windows 11 up to date, drivers are updated, and I’m currently running a Malware scan. PC is wired and I can’t seem to go past 5 mbs where as my Xbox...
  5. Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed

Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed: Hey guys, so my internet speed is around 60 mbps but I only get 1-5 mb/s when I download games on Steam or Battlenet. My OS is Windows 11 up to date, drivers are updated, and I’m currently running a Malware scan. PC is wired and I can’t seem to go past 5 mbs where as my Xbox...
  6. Internet fast but download speed slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet fast but download speed slow: Hello, so the issue im having is that my download speed is very slow, and i dont know how to fix it. what i do know is that its not my ISP/ the plan i pay for, and its not my router asus RT-AX3000, as it is new. though i dont know if there are any settings i should change on...
  7. Fast internet but slow download speeds

Fast internet but slow download speeds: I was recently downloading a 263mb file, and for some reason, my speed is around 57-60kbps. While downloading, I had done a speedtest from ookla and my download speed was - 45.78mbps, and upload speed was - 30.38mbps. After downloading, I ran another test, and my download...
  8. Fast internet but slow download speeds

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Fast internet but slow download speeds: I was recently downloading a 263mb file, and for some reason, my speed is around 57-60kbps. While downloading, I had done a speedtest from ookla and my download speed was - 45.78mbps, and upload speed was - 30.38mbps. After downloading, I ran another test, and my download...
  9. Fast Internet But Slow Download Speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast Internet But Slow Download Speed: Hey guys, so my internet speed is around 100 mbps but I only get 1MB/s when I download games on Steam or Battlenet. I used to get around 12MB/s on Steam and when I was downloading RDR2 from the Social Club I reached 25MB/s now, I tried downloading GTAV and maximum I got was...
  10. Slow speed in normal mode fast speed in safe mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow speed in normal mode fast speed in safe mode: Hi, I tested my speed (PC connected by Ethernet cable) and a couple of days ago i noticed it had dropped to 20 Mbps (i usually get 60+) so having searched online i found it could be a conflict, a few threads pointed to AMD quick stream so i uninstalled it and it made no...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 slow network safe mode fast

2. download speed low except when in safe mode

3. dowload speeds in safe mode are fast otherwise slow in standard mode

4. download speed higher in safe mode