Windows 10: Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ?

Discus and support Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; To make a Windows 10 bootable USB thumb drive, everywhere I looked says to download Windows 10 to the USB stick. Is there some reason why Win10 cannot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Mike100, Mar 1, 2020.

1. Mike100 Win User

Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ?

To make a Windows 10 bootable USB thumb drive, everywhere I looked says to download Windows 10 to the USB stick. Is there some reason why Win10 cannot be downloaded to a Windows 7 HDD and then copied to a USB thumb drive?

I see mention that you need a 5GB, or 8GB or 16GB USB stick. Which is correct?

I'm about to make my first steps into the world of Windows 10.

Thanks

:)

Mike100, Mar 1, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Mar 1, 2020
  3. Delta6326 Win User
    Delta6326, Mar 1, 2020
  4. Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ?

HDD in a HDD caddy is not showing up in the disk management

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to ask some questions:

• How are you connecting the HDD Caddy?
    • What is the make and model of your computer?

If you are connecting the device using USB, I suggest you to check if other USB devices are recognized as USB devices or Other device. If it is displaying as other device, then the issue might be with the USB port. So, I suggest you to update the USB drivers
    by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X, select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus Controller.
    • Right click on the drive, select Update Driver Software and follow the on-screen prompts.

Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 1, 2020
Thema:

Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ?

1. Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ? - Similar Threads - Download HDD instead

2. Windows 10 trashing HDD instead of SDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 trashing HDD instead of SDD: Everytime I log into my Windows 10 PC from the lock screen and Windows comes out of hibernation I think, my PC is frozen for 10 minutes straight thrashing my HDD. The whole time my HDD is showing 100% activity. It has a boatload of freespace. Windows 10 is installed on my...
  3. Windows 10 trashing HDD instead of SDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 trashing HDD instead of SDD: Everytime I log into my Windows 10 PC from the lock screen and Windows comes out of hibernation I think, my PC is frozen for 10 minutes straight thrashing my HDD. The whole time my HDD is showing 100% activity. It has a boatload of freespace. Windows 10 is installed on my...
  4. Windows 10 trashing HDD instead of SDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. I want to be able to remove windows 10 hdd and replace with windows 10 hdd instead of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I want to be able to remove windows 10 hdd and replace with windows 10 hdd instead of...: Len AllenI have recently acquired an ASUS laptop with windows 10 Home because the mother board on my previous ASUS laptop died with a dead mother board. I want to be able to remove the windows 10 HDD and replace it with a windows 7 HDD because neither drive is big enough to...
  6. Windows 10 not recognizing its bootcd mbr in hdd but instead reads it from usb uefi

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 not recognizing its bootcd mbr in hdd but instead reads it from usb uefi: Issue began a month ago. I replaced ram and cpu. I had to clear cmos. Then Windows 10 would not boot. Because i dual boot Windows 7 i had bios on legacy mode. I used usb with Windows 10 install to attempt to repair bcd boot files since i didn’t want to format. I have a lot of...
  7. Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Download Windows 10 to a HDD instead of USB ?: To make a Windows 10 bootable USB thumb drive, everywhere I looked says to download Windows 10 to the USB stick. Is there some reason why Win10 cannot be downloaded to a Windows 7 HDD and then copied to a USB thumb drive? I see mention that you need a 5GB, or 8GB or 16GB USB...
  8. Download Windows 10 to a HDD instaed of USB ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Download Windows 10 to a HDD instaed of USB ?: To make a Windows 10 bootable USB thumb drive, everywhere I looked says to download Windows 10 to the USB stick. Is there some reason why Win10 cannot be downloaded to a Windows 7 HDD and then copied to a USB thumb drive? I see mention that you need a 5GB, or 8GB or 16GB USB...
  9. Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD: Hi everyone, I migrated to Windows 10 from 8.1 during Windows Insider Program's first days and kept getting updates from Update section till now. Recently I found my PC not working fast enough and I decided to buy a new SSD hard drive and reinstall my Windows on it. In the...
  10. Windows 10 on external USB HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 on external USB HDD: is it possible to put windows 10 on an external USB HDD? if so, how? if not, bummer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-on-external-usb-hdd/9c115056-c5dc-4836-b9c8-0b604f83159a