Windows 10: Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser

Discus and support Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello,I am currently having an issue with a Windows 10 computer that can start downloads through a browser, but the download is never able to be opened... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by kcsinak, Oct 20, 2021.

1. kcsinak Win User

Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser

Hello,I am currently having an issue with a Windows 10 computer that can start downloads through a browser, but the download is never able to be opened or saved through it. If I check the actual File Explorer Downloads folder, the document is there, indicating that the download was successful, but not for the browser itself. I tried running the download from Chrome, Edge, Chrome Incognito and Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer got stuck on 'Scanning document' and the download was never available. Chrome, Edge and Chrome Incognito have the same result where the download can only be paused or

:)

kcsinak, Oct 20, 2021

2. Downloaded files disappear

When you download a file through any browser, there's an option somewhere to 'Open Containing Folder.'

In Windows, to find a file you have downloaded...

1. Open your personal folder by clicking the Start button and then clicking your user name at the top of the Start menu's right pane.
    2. Double-click one of the following folders:
      • Downloads
      • Documents
      • Pictures
      • Videos
      • Music

If you do not see the file you are looking for, but know its file name, you can search for it by following these steps:
    To search for a file you have downloaded...

1. Click the Start button
    2. Type all or part of the file name into the Search box.
      The file you are looking for will appear in the list of results.

teachermark, Oct 20, 2021
  3. microsoft word 2003

In the past year or so I've noticed another quirk where a downloaded Word document or other Office document won't open regardless of the steps I take to open them. After deleting the file and re-downloading the document it opens without issue. I've been using Chrome almost exclusively so I'm not sure if I've experienced this with Explorer or Firefox. So one last step to try might be to obtain another copy of your files if they are being generated and fetched externally to your system (ie. try downloading them again as the file might have simply been corrupted).

Beertintedgoggles, Oct 20, 2021
  4. Nick Dich Win User

Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser

In File Explorer, Open With does not show all browsers.

Hi Jimbo,

Doing a right-click on a file and selecting "Open With" would usually let you choose a program who are viable to open the document. Let us say, you are opening a ".pdf" file and you have Adobe Reader and Microsoft PDF Viewer installed in your computer. Doing
    the steps will let you choose whether you want to open it with Adobe or MS PDF Viewer. Same goes with other file. Now to further assist you with your concern, we need to ask you the following questions below:

• What type of file are you opening up? What is the file extension of it?
    • Were you able to see all of the web browser before when you do Open With? Or this is the only time you are trying?
    • Have you tried going to the browsers you don't see on the list, press CTRL+letter O, and browse for the file you are trying to open? If you have tried this and the file did not open on that specific browser, it is more likely a compatibility issue about
      opening the said file.

We will be waiting for your response.

Nick Dich, Oct 20, 2021
Thema:

1. Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser - Similar Threads - Downloaded document available

2. Can't open the file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't open the file explorer: Anything related to file explorer doesn't work. For an example I can't save any files through Chrome or VS Code. When I try to save it automatically shuts down the program. When I click the "My PC" or File Explorer the screen goes black and comes again. But it works normal in...
  3. Can't open the file explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't open the file explorer: Anything related to file explorer doesn't work. For an example I can't save any files through Chrome or VS Code. When I try to save it automatically shuts down the program. When I click the "My PC" or File Explorer the screen goes black and comes again. But it works normal in...
  4. Can't open the file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser

Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser: Hello,I am currently having an issue with a Windows 10 computer that can start downloads through a browser, but the download is never able to be opened or saved through it. If I check the actual File Explorer Downloads folder, the document is there, indicating that the...
  6. Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloaded document available in File Explorer, but can't be opened in the browser: Hello,I am currently having an issue with a Windows 10 computer that can start downloads through a browser, but the download is never able to be opened or saved through it. If I check the actual File Explorer Downloads folder, the document is there, indicating that the...
  7. File Explorer can't open Downloads folder

File Explorer can't open Downloads folder: New laptop, latest Windows 10. If I try to view the Downloads folder from either Quick Access or directly under This PC, all I get is 'working on it'. Go to C;/users/../Downloads - no problem. Why?...
  8. Can't open file explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't open file explorer: I have tried all methods on the Microsoft site but they did not work, are there any other methods? submitted by /u/That_British_Kid1509 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e0zvwt/cant_open_file_explorer/
  9. Can't open some files in Documents

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't open some files in Documents: I think I have made a mess. I had a file called "password" in my document file, it was a "read only" file. There was another file called "passwords" out there too. It was not marked "read only" I have no idea how to make it not "read only" so I just renamed it. Now none of...
  10. Downloaded documents opening in a wrong file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloaded documents opening in a wrong file: Greetings tenforums I've recently updated to windows 10 and I'm encountering a problem with downloaded word documents opening in Wordpad instead of Microsoft word. A few details: The documents in the site in downloading from has always used microsoft word documents,...