Windows 10: downloading build 1903 ISO changed the drive letter of my USB device

Discus and support downloading build 1903 ISO changed the drive letter of my USB device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is a copy of another user who has had the same problem, but without a solution. [Downloaded the “media creation tool” for win 10 build 1903... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Julian Grenfell, Jan 26, 2020.

1. downloading build 1903 ISO changed the drive letter of my USB device

This is a copy of another user who has had the same problem, but without a solution.

[Downloaded the “media creation tool” for win 10 build 1903

and created the windows 10 update 1903 to a usb drive an ISO image is an option too

Then executed the “setup.exe” on the created usb drive.

After a few minutes, the update stop with an error , with the error that the 1903 update can change the drive letter of any USB connected devices, so it could be possible that a usb drive connected as “G:” could become “E:” after the update – and the 1903 update is on a usb drive

So, the question is if the usb was accessed as a directory link, would that work? ]

In my case, I have lost all my USB data; is there a way of recovering my data?

Thank you

Julian Grenfell

:)

Julian Grenfell, Jan 26, 2020
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Jan 26, 2020
  3. Windows 10 changing USB port drive letters

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing currently.

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Since when are you facing this issue?
    • Did you make any changes in prior to this issue?
    I would like to inform you that the issue might have occurred due to some changes made to your computer.

I suggest you to try changing the drive letter of the drive and check if it helps.

Follow the steps to change the drive letter:

• Press Windows + X keys and click on Disk Management.
    • Right click on the external drive and click on Change Drive letter and paths.
    • Click on Change the button.
    • Under Assign the following Drive letter, select the desired drive letter.
    • Click Ok to save changes.
    Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jan 26, 2020
  4. downloading build 1903 ISO changed the drive letter of my USB device

What has happened to the additional drives that appeared in the Windows Explorer for external USB devices

Hi Alan,

Welcome to Microsoft Community. Your interest in Windows 10 is much appreciated.

For better understanding please answer the below questions:

• Does the USB drive shows in the Device Manager?
    • Is the computer detecting the connected USB devices?
    • Have you checked the USB drives on the different computers?
    I would suggest you to try the below methods and check if that helps:

Method 1:

Check if you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management. If you are able to see the USB External DVD drive in Disk Management, follow the steps to assign the drive letter:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Right-click the drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Do one of the following:

• To assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click
      Add
      , click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
    • To change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click
      OK.
    Method 2: I would suggest you to un-install and reinstall USB controllers and check. This method resolves steps where the currently loaded USB driver has become unstable or corrupted.

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
    • Right click a device and click Uninstall.
    • Repeat for each device. Once complete, restart your computer.
    • Your USB controllers will automatically install.
    Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Annu Singh, Jan 26, 2020
Thema:

downloading build 1903 ISO changed the drive letter of my USB device

1. downloading build 1903 ISO changed the drive letter of my USB device - Similar Threads - downloading build 1903

2. USB Drive changing letter sometimes?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB Drive changing letter sometimes?: I have 7 USB thumb drives that are all set as f drives. I rotate them around for backing up. They are a mix of USB 2 and USB 3.0. Have used them with this batch file I created for years and no issues. I only use them every couple of months and they are rotated backups.All of...
  3. USB Drive changing letter sometimes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Drive changing letter sometimes?: I have 7 USB thumb drives that are all set as f drives. I rotate them around for backing up. They are a mix of USB 2 and USB 3.0. Have used them with this batch file I created for years and no issues. I only use them every couple of months and they are rotated backups.All of...
  4. USB Drive changing letter sometimes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Drive letters changed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letters changed: I had to reinstall Windows 10 and after doing so the drive letters changed. What was the C: drive with the OS is now the G: drive. I have two other 300GB hard drives that are pretty old. I would like to replace them with one larger drive but I feel I should first address the...
  6. usb drive letters

usb drive letters: when i put a usb flash drive in my notebook,drive letters from D to M come up wanting me to format them all. what can i do to fix this? every flash drive i have is doing it....
  7. Laptop trouble - my drive letters changed?!

Laptop trouble - my drive letters changed?!: I finished work yesterday and shut down my laptop normally. It's a HP Omen 15-dc0020nr. I have Windows 10 Professional on it, but I am unsure which version - had to shutdown automatic updates completely since my work demands me to be available immediately, something Windows...
  8. Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) No Drive Letter

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) No Drive Letter: Problem: Tablet is not detectable by computers. Yet... it is noted as "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)" in device manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers. [img] I have already done the basic 30 articles reading and tried the standard...
  9. Drive Letter on USB extenal Drive auto-changed with W10 update ... old letter now unavailable

Drive Letter on USB extenal Drive auto-changed with W10 update ... old letter now unavailable: Hello. I just upgraded from Win7 to Win10 (1903) on a Dell Vostro 2520 laptop (i3, 8GB, 64-bit). Boot is UEFI. All drivers are up-to-date. I have admin privileges. Storage is an internal Crucial SSD [C:] and an external Seagate 2TB USB drive, which was set to Drive [E:]...
  10. Cannot open files on USB without changing Drive letter.

Cannot open files on USB without changing Drive letter.: I have the EXACT same issue as this support post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-open-files-on-usb-without-changing-drive/b16b6230-120b-4088-9b88-046ec2bc09bc I have tried every step recommended by Microsoft support and I still have the issue....