Windows 10: downloading excel file changes file extension to .xlsx

Discus and support downloading excel file changes file extension to .xlsx in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; I have tried to download an Excel (.xls extension) from a web site I use. On download I get a file with a .xlsx extension which will not open in... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by bcubed, Apr 4, 2016.

1. bcubed Win User

downloading excel file changes file extension to .xlsx

I have tried to download an Excel (.xls extension) from a web site I use. On download I get a file with a .xlsx extension which will not open in Windows Office 2010. I successfully downloaded the file using Chromodo so I assume there is something corrupting the download via windows 10 Microsoft browser?

:)

bcubed, Apr 4, 2016
  2. garym123 Win User

my file excel 2007 can't edit on Lumia 920

An Excel file on you PC is probably an xml.

The mobile office requires an xlsx extension. Don't know what version of Excel you have but my 2010 version will open an xml and can save it as an xlsx.

garym123, Apr 4, 2016
  3. Phone 7 My Documents are read only

Your files need to have the xlsx, docx, or pptx extension if you want to edit them on your phone.

If they are not saved with those extensions, you'll need to open up the files and save them from xls to xlsx, from doc to docx, and from ppt to pptx, then upload them to SkyDrive.

After you make these changes you will be able to edit on your phone. I just took a file of mine stored in Skydrive that was saved as an xls excel file and edited it on the web. Then it opened easily on my device where I was able to continue editing.

Jack Cook - aka Help_Line, Apr 4, 2016
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    on the download is there a SAVE AS option -- that might work if you change the default to .xls

Otherwise I think there are some xlsx viewers where you could view the file or change it to xls. (Note changing to xls will possibly remove some formatting etc).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2016
  5. Office 2010 opens .xlsx as it's native file type, so it is likely that the files you are downloading are corrupt. I don't know why the extension would be changing, but you could try renaming them to .xls and seeing if they open properly.

DeaconFrost, Apr 4, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    Agreed - .xlsx is the default for 2010. File must be corrupt, or possibly 2010 installation is corrupt.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2016
  7. Can you give us a link to the file?

nigelmercier, Apr 5, 2016
  8. bcubed Win User

Hi there

I can only rename the file which does not affect the file extension. Interestingly, when I have successfully downloaded the file using my Chromodo browser it is shown as an 'excel 97 - 2003 worksheet', whilst via Microsoft edge it is shown as an 'excel worksheet'.

bcubed, Apr 6, 2016
  9. bcubed Win User
    bcubed, Apr 6, 2016
  10. That opened right up for me without any issues on Excel 2013. I saved it to my desktop and then double-clicked the file. It worked for me in IE11 and Chrome.

DeaconFrost, Apr 6, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    All MS Office 2007 version or higher are designed to open xlsx files.
    Something has gone amiss in your 2010.

Maybe doing a Repair will fix the problem..................
    Go to Programs and features > right click at Microsoft Office 2010 > click Change > click Repair

davidhk, Apr 6, 2016
  12. Just downloaded on my tablet, I got a .xls file.

nigelmercier, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. downloading excel file changes file extension to .xlsx - Similar Threads - downloading excel file

2. Download change extension file ASF -> ASX

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download change extension file ASF -> ASX: Hello, I have a problem when I download an asf file, windows changes my file extension to asx. I tried on another bone and I do not encounter this problem.I tried on several browsers and the problem remains the same.Can you help me ?...
  3. Download change extension file ASF -> ASX

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download change extension file ASF -> ASX: Hello, I have a problem when I download an asf file, windows changes my file extension to asx. I tried on another bone and I do not encounter this problem.I tried on several browsers and the problem remains the same.Can you help me ?...
  4. Download change extension file ASF -> ASX

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Default file type to Microsoft Excel worksheet instead of XLSX file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default file type to Microsoft Excel worksheet instead of XLSX file: Hello, Due to some error in opening of excel file I had to change the default file type under .XLSX file, It was changed to XLSX file instead of Microsoft excel worksheet, now I want change it back to original but I am unable to do the same, kindly check highlighted image...
  6. Default file type to Microsoft Excel worksheet instead of XLSX file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Default file type to Microsoft Excel worksheet instead of XLSX file: Hello, Due to some error in opening of excel file I had to change the default file type under .XLSX file, It was changed to XLSX file instead of Microsoft excel worksheet, now I want change it back to original but I am unable to do the same, kindly check highlighted image...
  7. Default file type to Microsoft Excel worksheet instead of XLSX file

8. Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...

Changing a file's extension: disabling the "If you change a file name extension, the file...: Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19042.867] is there a registry key to get rid of it now ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changing-a-files-extension-disabling-the-if-you/dc219745-91fb-4c6b-9821-76fa22cf20c9
  9. File Extension Changes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Extension Changes: My wife tried to open an Excel file she attached to an email before she sent it to make sure it was the right one. That act then proceeded to try to open over 150 files. They were still scrolling across the top when the only thing I could figure out what to do was to sign...
  10. File extension changed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    File extension changed: how can I recover my files that changed to .mado extension? is there any easy idea my all files are encrypted as .mado . How to decrypt ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/file-extension-changed/5eb5c4f3-acce-4907-9e10-857faaec0e1c