Windows 10: Downloading files - VIRUS SCAN FAILED

Discus and support Downloading files - VIRUS SCAN FAILED in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I keep getting the message VIRUS SCAN FAILED when I try and download files from all sites on the internet. However can download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnKershaw1, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Downloading files - VIRUS SCAN FAILED

Hi Everyone,

I keep getting the message VIRUS SCAN FAILED when I try and download files from all sites on the internet.

However can download Windows Updates.

Any suggestions would be extremely welcomed.

Thank you in advance,

John

:)

JohnKershaw1, Nov 1, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Error: Couldn't download - virus scan failed message when trying to download a program

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you receive an error, 'Couldn't download - virus scan failed message' when trying to download a program. I'll certainly assist you with this.

However, please let us know:

• May I know the program that you are trying to download?
    • Which browser are you using?
    • Are you able to download any other programs?

I would suggest you to try using a different browser like Microsoft Edge and see if that helps.

If you are receiving this error while using Google Chrome, I would suggest you to refer the section
    "Virus scan failed" or "Virus detected" in the article Fix file download errors
    and see if that helps.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Refer the article How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

I would also recommend you to create a system restore point.

Let us know the results, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Nikhar_K, Nov 1, 2020
  3. HAT
    hat Win User
    Virus Scan ONLY tool?

I was using Malwarebytes to run scans on things I downloaded to make sure they're clean before I run them... but now Malwarebytes wants to run constantly and wants to do virus scans all the time, even though I told it not to (I'll scan a single file then it starts another threat scan on its own).

Are there any good tools that do virus scanning only?

4. Downloading files - VIRUS SCAN FAILED

Slow as mollasses virus scan on file downloads from Chrome

I run a standard Windows 10 setup, with Microsoft Windows Defender and the only virus and malware tool. I also use Chrome almost exclusively.

When I download a large file (~50-100mb), it takes for-ever (15 to 20 minutes) for the virus scan to happen. I am not sure what the hold up is, but I do know it is very irritating. All of this on a behemoth machine, 8 cores, 16 threads, 32Gb Ram, NVME drives.

Any suggestions?

Inquisitor Shm, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

Downloading files - VIRUS SCAN FAILED

1. Downloading files - VIRUS SCAN FAILED - Similar Threads - Downloading files VIRUS

2. couldn't download-virus scan failed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    couldn't download-virus scan failed.: when i try to down load anything i get this message, please tell me what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/couldnt-download-virus-scan-failed/7e6b8658-6cca-4158-a616-ad20bd3a7f10
  3. couldn't download-virus scan failed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    couldn't download-virus scan failed.: when i try to down load anything i get this message, please tell me what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/couldnt-download-virus-scan-failed/7e6b8658-6cca-4158-a616-ad20bd3a7f10
  4. couldn't download-virus scan failed.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Couldn't download, virus scan failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Couldn't download, virus scan failed: Every time I try to download a file, document, photo, anything I get a message "Couldn't Download Virus Scan Failed. I never had this problem until I got Windows 11. I have changed my internet security, turned off Windows Firewall and got rid of all virus scan programs....
  6. Couldn't download, virus scan failed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Couldn't download, virus scan failed: Every time I try to download a file, document, photo, anything I get a message "Couldn't Download Virus Scan Failed. I never had this problem until I got Windows 11. I have changed my internet security, turned off Windows Firewall and got rid of all virus scan programs....
  7. Failed download virus scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Failed download virus scan: I am unable to download programs, updates, photos or other items. When I try I get the message: Failed download virus scan. It is a firewall issue, but I can't override it to download necessary updates from any source. I don't know if this is a Microsoft issue, or a Windows...
  8. couldn't download-virus scan failed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    couldn't download-virus scan failed: I am having an issue opening any kind of document . I get the message: "couldn't download-virus scan failed". This just started happening last week and i am not sure if it was related to some update. I have windows 10 home in s mode....
  9. "Couldn't download-virus scan failed"

"Couldn't download-virus scan failed": I did looked McFee and it showed no virus. Weird. Funny last week fine now it pop up "Couldn't download- virus scan failed. What should I do and please do step by step. Jean...
  10. "Couldn't download-virus scan failed"

"Couldn't download-virus scan failed": I try all the options like that regedit thing and uninstalling my mcafee software but nothing works TT it always couldnt download-virus scan failed HELP plsss...