Windows 10: Downloading issues with steam and epic but nothing else

Discus and support Downloading issues with steam and epic but nothing else in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi everyone! This may be long winded but here we go. A couple weeks ago after the recent windows update my computer has started having a problem while... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by jplvr86, Apr 1, 2020.

1. jplvr86 Win User

Downloading issues with steam and epic but nothing else

Hi everyone! This may be long winded but here we go. A couple weeks ago after the recent windows update my computer has started having a problem while downloading updates using Steam and Epic games launcher. While using steam I noticed that downloads would start downloading around 800kb/s to 1mb/s then it would slowly go down to 20kb/s then stop completely. I thought that maybe this was a bad hard drive ssd so I tried another update for a game that was on a mechanical hard drive and it did the same thing. I figured since it is spanning multiple drives it would seem unlikely that it would be bad drives. I did run the disk check through windows and that reported all my drives have no errors. I first tried turning the firewall off an that seemed to work to fix steam but not the epic launcher. I then read that they released a fix for the internet connectivity so I downloaded that and installed it but now it went back to having bad download speed to not downloading at all whether the firewall is off or on. I also tried rolling back windows through windows recovery but got an error so it couldn't restore from the restore point before update. I then thought ok maybe it's my internet connection but I downloaded both the windows update and the driver for my network adapter and they had a download speed of almost 2mb/s. I also download a driver for my video card and that downloaded at a solid 2.5mb/s with no drop outside and also updated Call of Duty at 2mb/s to 3mb/s with no problems. Not sure what is interfering with steam and epic and my hard drives. All drives are from 1 to 3 years old and the OS is on it's own 256gb ssd. I tried reinstalling both game launchers but that doesn't do anything. Not sure what else to do at this point. I built this computer so it has an i7 7700k on a ROG maximus hero is. 32gb ram and an rtx 2070. It has the OS on a samsung 850 ssd and has two mechanical drives both from WD and two other ssds one a 500gb and the other 1tb ssd both are also samsung drives. I also ran a complete virus scan with windows defender. I am truly sorry for all of the reading material I provided and any help is greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a safe and great day.

:)

jplvr86, Apr 1, 2020

2. Windows blocking Steam and Epic games and websites.

Windows has started Epic and Steam, as well as access to game webpages. Even, Roblox, installed in my PC, does not start. It must have something to do with the latest update. Messages go from Invalid SSL to Invalid Certificate. I have already tried disabling
    Windows Defender and checking Windows Security certificates. Everything seems OK, but the EPIC and STEAM launchers are prevented from accessing Internet and Roblox closes down withou even starting. How do we fix this?

RodolfoLeon, Apr 1, 2020
  3. Steam

Hi Sam,

There are several reasons why you are unable to play the game that you installed using the Steam Client. It is possible that the app is corrupted or the permission settings are not enabled on your PC. To resolve your concern, we suggest that you reset the
    app.

This process can help restore corrupted game installation files. Here's how:

• Press the Windows key on your keyboard, and then click the Settings icon.
    • Select System, and then select Apps & features.
    • Find the game, and then click on Advanced options.
    • Click Reset.
    • Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.

You may visit this
    link
    for the instructions on how to enable app permissions on your PC.

Make sure that you are using an administrator account to launch the app. If you are still experiencing the same issue, remove the
    ClientRegistry.blob file by following the steps below:

• Close the Steam Client and go to the Steam root folder or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam.
    • Look for the ClientRegistry.blob file.
    • Make a copy of the file and change it to a different file name. (for example, copy.ClientRegistry.blog)
    • Delete the original file.
    • Launch the Steam Client and run your game again.

If the issue persists, you may relocate the Steam Client by performing the steps below:

• Close the Steam Client app and go to the Steam installation folder.
    • Browse for the installation files that you would like to move.
    • Delete all of the files inside that folder except the SteamApps & Userdata and Steam.exe.
    • You may cut and paste the whole Steam installation folder to a default storage location on your PC.
    • Launch the app again and make sure to log in using your account.

After signing in, you'll need to change the default installation path for the games that you will install in the future. Here's how:

• Launch the Steam Client and go to the Settings
      menu.Select Steam Library Folders from the
      Downloads tab.
    • You may create a new path by selecting Add Library Folder. All future installations will go directly to the newly created path.
    • Right-click on the newly created path and make sure that it is set to default.

If you are still unable to play your games using the Steam Client, we recommend that you contact
    Steam Support directly for additional solutions in fixing the app and its components.

Should you have any other queries, you can contact us anytime.

Loraine Mon, Apr 1, 2020
  4. Downloading issues with steam and epic but nothing else

Unwanted search bar on Microsoft Edge and Steam Browser

Hi Noah,

Thank you for posting in Community, we understand your concern and we will try our best to help you resolve the issue.

I would suggest that you clear the data of Edge and check if the issue persist. To do so follow the steps below:

• Navigate to the location:
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbw

• Delete everything in this folder.
    • Restart Microsoft Edge and check.
    With respect to issue that you are facing with Steam I would suggest that you contact the developer as we do not support third part application.

Hope this information helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Apr 1, 2020
Thema:

Downloading issues with steam and epic but nothing else

1. Downloading issues with steam and epic but nothing else - Similar Threads - Downloading issues steam

2. Download steam

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Download steam: I keep trying to download steam on windows 11 but it says "search the Microsoft store" instead https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-steam/772f7a78-638f-4633-84b7-5578d2500a10
  3. Download steam

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Download steam: I keep trying to download steam on windows 11 but it says "search the Microsoft store" instead https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/download-steam/772f7a78-638f-4633-84b7-5578d2500a10
  4. Windows blocking Steam and Epic games and websites.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows blocking Steam and Epic games and websites.: Windows has started Epic and Steam, as well as access to game webpages. I have already tried disabling Windows Defender. Everything seems OK, but the EPIC and STEAM launchers are prevented from accessing Internet.How do we fix this?...
  5. Windows blocking Steam and Epic games and websites.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows blocking Steam and Epic games and websites.: Windows has started Epic and Steam, as well as access to game webpages. I have already tried disabling Windows Defender. Everything seems OK, but the EPIC and STEAM launchers are prevented from accessing Internet.How do we fix this?...
  6. Microphone works with Windows Sound Recorder but nothing else Steam, Teams, Discord etc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microphone works with Windows Sound Recorder but nothing else Steam, Teams, Discord etc: My microphone works, windows can detect it, I see the meter go up and down when I talk - I can record audio in Sound Recorder to test it. My Headset is set to default device, and has latest drivers. Apps have Mic access in the Privacy settings. I have uninstalled and...
  7. Steam causing computer to freeze and nothing downloads?!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Steam causing computer to freeze and nothing downloads?!: My computer was working just fine, then one day randomly whenever I open steam or try and download something it freezes my entire computer for ~20 seconds and downloads will start out fast, then slowly dwindle down to 0 Mb/s and stop downloading. I've tried tons of solutions...
  8. updates for steam and epic not downloading but everything else is.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    updates for steam and epic not downloading but everything else is.: Hi everybody I am having a problem that developed within the past couple weeks. I will start up steam and downloading updates will be stuck at 20kb/s when I usually get 1 to 2 mb/s. Then it will start to slow down to 0 and stop entirely. I also noticed disk usage will be at 0...
  9. windows 10 downloading driver- screen on but nothing else works

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    windows 10 downloading driver- screen on but nothing else works: Windows 10- downloading driver /screen is on but nothing works https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-downloading-driver-screen-on-but/523cf2c7-f195-46da-ace8-d8600cc9725b
  10. Windows blocking Steam and Epic games and websites.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows blocking Steam and Epic games and websites.: Windows has started Epic and Steam, as well as access to game webpages. Even, Roblox, installed in my PC, does not start. It must have something to do with the latest update. Messages go from Invalid SSL to Invalid Certificate. I have already tried disabling Windows Defender...