Windows 10: Downloads folder hangs

Discus and support Downloads folder hangs in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi All, My W10 system has been working great since purchase Jan2018 (I do updates as available), but as of 8/11/19 my Downloads folder is hanging.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by C2Violet, Aug 12, 2019.

1. C2Violet Win User

Downloads folder hangs

Hi All,
    My W10 system has been working great since purchase Jan2018 (I do updates as available), but as of 8/11/19 my Downloads folder is hanging. That's a problem for me because even tho I have my Firefox set to ask for download location, Win still points to Downloads FIRST...where it hangs! I have downloaded & run MS's winfilefolder utility & it worked...for 1 time...then NOT.
    I'm hoping some of you may have a solution.
    Please & THANK YOU!

My system:
    Dell gaming computer (tho I don't use it for gaming)
    Win10 home
    Core I5 7th gen
    16GB RAM

:)

C2Violet, Aug 12, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Aug 12, 2019
  3. topgundcp Win User
    Unable to delete a folder - Invalid folder name

Suggestion:
    1. Run chkdsk x: /r to make sure that there's no HD corruption.
      x: is the drive containing the folder you want to delete.
    2. Try to delete the folder again. If still does not work, go to step 3.
    3. Download: Download - Linux Mint and create a bootable USB using: Rufus - Create bootable USB
    4. Boot up with Linux Mint and try to delete the folder again.
      NOTE: Unlike WinPE. Linux does not have any Windows permission imposed to it so it is easier to delete.

topgundcp, Aug 12, 2019
  4. Downloads folder hangs

Windows 10 update hangs on downloading updates at 98%

Hi vinodh,

In step 3 you state to press enter after after each command but its written like one sentence,could you list them so we can identify each command please.my pc just hangs on "checking for updates" so i installed the win 10 updater and that just hangs on 99%
    so i will try what you suggest above.

Thanks

but not with this email add, Aug 12, 2019
Thema:

Downloads folder hangs

1. Downloads folder hangs - Similar Threads - Downloads folder hangs

2. Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer: I have a Dell laptop which came with Windows 11 preinstalledAn issue I've had since the start is that the Downloads folder often hangs when I open it in explorer. It can take about 2 minutes before explorer responds again.Today the issue occurred once after using Explorer to...
  3. Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Downloads folder frequently hangs in Explorer: I have a Dell laptop which came with Windows 11 preinstalledAn issue I've had since the start is that the Downloads folder often hangs when I open it in explorer. It can take about 2 minutes before explorer responds again.Today the issue occurred once after using Explorer to...
  4. Windows Explorer Hangs When Attempting To Open The Downloads Folder In Quick Access

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer Hangs When Attempting To Open The Downloads Folder In Quick Access: Windows 10, Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042Today, File Explorer hangs when I attempt access the Downloads folder listed under Quick Access. I just receive a spinning hourglass. It worked flawlessly until today. It still works with any other folders even others in Quick Access....
  5. Windows Explorer, File Download Access to Folders Intermittent Hang-up Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer, File Download Access to Folders Intermittent Hang-up Problem: Hi This is really a Win 7 thru 10 Windows Explorer download window, Explorer look alike problem. The problem: 1. Accessing a file in Explorer or the windows popup for downloads hangs up. I get the Working icon forever. Can't get out of it. 2. Sometimes rebooting fixes it;...
  6. Download hanging

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Download hanging: Hi...Purchased forza 7 motorsport. Received confirmation email and started the download. After around 10 seconds the progress bar stops and a "Resuming download" message appears but it just hangs. Im downloading to an external drive with plenty of space, internet speed is...
  7. Microsoft Store downloads hang

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store downloads hang: Whenever I open the Microsoft Store on my computer, it tries to download presumably updates for "Microsoft Store," "Mail and Calendar," and "Xbox Console Companion." All of them go through the usual process of checking files->allocating disk space->downloading, but on that...
  8. Download hangs when completed

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Download hangs when completed: When downloading "files", and it completes full download it hangs for about to a full minute, before it opens for installation. I am using Windows 10 version 1903......
  9. KB3211320 Downloading Hang

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    KB3211320 Downloading Hang: Hi. I recently installed the KB3211320 update and, for the first time ever really, the download hung at 97% for a long time after shooting up to that point relatively quickly. I am a bit of a panicky Pete with these kinds of things but other updates such as Defender and...
  10. Folder operations causing explorer to hang

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Folder operations causing explorer to hang: In the last week, for one user only, folder operations, ie, create a folder, rename, or delete, take up to 30 seconds to complete. It is the same for all disk drives. I don't see anything in the event logs, but Reliability Monitor Report shows that Explorer stopped responding...