Windows 10: DPC latency stutter in games

Discus and support DPC latency stutter in games in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, So i started noticing random video stutter sometimes audio stutters aswell in games since beginning of january 2021 and i have tried many things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Thomas Pedersen 7, Feb 9, 2021.

1. DPC latency stutter in games

Hi,

So i started noticing random video stutter sometimes audio stutters aswell in games since beginning of january 2021 and i have tried many things to figure out what causes the problem.

This is what i have tried so far:

- reinstalled windows
    - turned off/on v-sync/G-sync
    - tested FPS cap
    - Switched power plan from balances to high performance
    - turned off windows indexer
    - Turned XMP1/XMP2 on/off
    - reinstalled games
    - started games from different drives both SSD and nvm2
    - Tried different settings in nvidia control panel
    - updated all drivers and updates in windows
    - Did one hour power stress test in OCCT to test my new PSU Corsair 850m
    - connected GPU via 2 power cables 2x8 pin seperate cables, instead of one cable
    - tested different ram modules
    - created task in task scheduler to free up windows system cache every 5 minutes empty standby list
    - updated bios
    - removed all form for monitoring sofware such as afterburner, rivatuner, HW monitor, etc
    - uninstalled utility software such as Icue and Ghub
    - changed DPI and refresh rate on mouse
    - rolled back to earlier display drivers in november and october dont remember the driver version

Then i came over a program called latencyMon which showed me that my system is suffering from very bad latency caused by nvidia driver
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Latencymon:

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:04:34 h:mm:ss on all processors.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Computer name: GAMING-CENTER
    OS version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042 x64
    Hardware: System Product Name, ASUS
    CPU: GenuineIntel IntelR CoreTM i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
    Logical processors: 8
    Processor groups: 1
    RAM: 16298 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed: 360 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency µs: 10866,10
    Average measured interrupt to process latency µs: 3,313754

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency µs: 10825,70
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency µs: 1,500609

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time µs: 310,772778
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time %: 0,185047
    Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs % 0,238419

ISR count execution time <250 µs: 426979
    ISR count execution time 250-500 µs: 0
    ISR count execution time 500-1000 µs: 2
    ISR count execution time 1000-2000 µs: 0
    ISR count execution time 2000-4000 µs: 0

ISR count execution time >=4000 µs: 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time µs: 15726,577778
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 461.40 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time %: 0,075542
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs % 0,181608

DPC count execution time <250 µs: 597512
    DPC count execution time 250-500 µs: 0
    DPC count execution time 500-10000 µs: 11
    DPC count execution time 1000-2000 µs: 7
    DPC count execution time 2000-4000 µs: 0
    DPC count execution time >=4000 µs: 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every bar in latencymon was red. I would paste a screenshot from latency monitor if it was possible. I have more information from latencymon if needed. I suspect that there is a problem with drivers from nvidia, but im not sure.

My specs:

CPU: 9700k no overclock max temp in games 65c
    GPU: Asus 2080S no overclock max temp in games 72c
    RAM: 16gb 3200 mhz corsair venegance
    PSU: corsair 850m
    Motherboard: Asus strix Z-390f
    Windows 10 pro 20H2

Do you have any tips? :

:)

Thomas Pedersen 7, Feb 9, 2021
  2. fusk Win User

Random Stuttering / DPC Latency Nightmare

Having the exact same problem. Realtek have release a new driver yesterday which i hope will help solve this super annoying issue.
    But that does not appear to be the case.
    Mine is atm looking like this.

DPC latency stutter in games [​IMG]

Think i'll try the win7 drivers.

fusk, Feb 9, 2021
  3. Audio stuttering/buzzing and storport.sys high dpc latency

I've only had this audio issue for a few weeks already after I did a custom windows 10 install bc of a previous problem. I've also posted twice about this but no one has helped me yet. I'll post the following possible solutions and suggestions that
    I've already done to avoid repeated answers

I did: audio troubleshooter, uninstalled then reinstalled audio drivers, disabled audio enhancements and tried different audio quality under the advanced tab.

After more searching online I tried using DPC Latency Checker (and then LatencyMon to be more detailed) since I read that having high dpc latency can cause problems with real time audio among other things. Apparently
    storport.sys is the problem? I literally just have basic knowledge about anything regarding this kind of stuff and I don't have any clue on how to fix this so I just hope someone can help me and give me steps by steps suggestions on how I can solve this. my
    audio has just been driving me crazy with those stuttering sounds and I don't want it to worsen.

I would also like to know if having
    Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller
    and nothing else aside from that, under
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    , is okay and won't cause problems?

please, I hope someone can help and answer this time around!

CeriWilliams1, Feb 9, 2021
  4. DPC latency stutter in games

High DPC latency causing audio stutters

Quite different hardware but this may have your attention.

Sound artifacts and high DPC latency seemingly related to storport driver can be caused by switching between Cx power saving processor states. My pci-express add-on soundcard works correctly only if C states greater than C1 are disabled:

If you want to give it a try, see your mobo manual:

muchomurka, Feb 9, 2021
Thema:

DPC latency stutter in games

1. DPC latency stutter in games - Similar Threads - DPC latency stutter

2. Ndis.sys causing high dpc latency and stuttering

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Ndis.sys causing high dpc latency and stuttering: My Windows is completely up to date, though I was having this issue even before I updated it to the latest version a couple days ago. Used Latencymon to figure out what was going on and ndis.sys seemed to be the culprit, it recommended disabling the WLAN adapter but I kind of...
  3. Lags in game, dpc latency

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lags in game, dpc latency: I have got a problem with my laptop, because in in some games I have light clippings, i have discovered with the dpc latency, i dont know what i can do, pls help! my laptop: hp 15 ay173na https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM1S9FV8mgI <--- video with lags [ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  4. ACPI.sys is causing Audio Stuttering and High DPC Latency

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    ACPI.sys is causing Audio Stuttering and High DPC Latency: Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7577 Laptop and after formatting it once, I started getting very High DPC Latency issues with ACPI.sys. [ATTACH] Solutions I've already tried: Uninstalling Microsoft ACPI-Complaint Control Method Battery Formatting Uninstalling Network...
  5. High DPC Latency causes extremely sound stuttering!

High DPC Latency causes extremely sound stuttering!: Hello Guys, recently I updated Windows to 1909 and an old problem re-appeared again. Having some High DPC Latency mainly due to graphics driver and secondly due to USB port. The last time I had this problem, if I can remember way before 1709, I had found a solution by...
  6. Audio Stutter from DPC Latency (Windows 10)

Audio Stutter from DPC Latency (Windows 10): Hello, I am experiencing latency issues on my desktop that mostly present as frequent (but irregular) audio drops and stuttering, but can also be seen as video stutter and felt as mouse lag as well. This occurs constantly from the moment I start the machine. Having run...
  7. High DPC latency causing audio stutters

High DPC latency causing audio stutters: Build: i5 8600k 4.5ghz. 1x sandisk 120gb ssd. (boot drive, clean install of windows and latest update.) 1x samsung 860 Evo 1TB ssd. Z370 HD3 Gigabyte Mobo. GTX 1080 ROG. 2x 2666mhz DDR4 Corsair ram. I've tried absolutely everything, disabling hpet, changing power...
  8. high dpc latency causing audio stuttering

high dpc latency causing audio stuttering: i ran latencymon and did a trace, but am unsure how to procede 40843
  9. DPC Latency, stuttering and random freezing

DPC Latency, stuttering and random freezing: Hi, Bit of a story, but my z97 itx motherboard, and I was not able to replace it, so I got a z170 + 6700 thinking everything was going to be okay. Now that I've installed it, I'm experiencing massive DCP latency, stuttering and random freezes (no overheating). First...
  10. Random Stuttering / DPC Latency Nightmare

Random Stuttering / DPC Latency Nightmare: EDIT: Since a lot of people seem to be reading this (probably from google with the same problem), here's the tl;dr: >So far, no concrete fix. >Definitely a problem with the LAN card. >If you have a Realtek card, downgrading to Win7 drivers seem to lessen the amount of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. high dpc latency directx kernel 20H2