Windows 10: DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION Randomly Crashes PC about once a day Blue Screen of Death

Discus and support DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION Randomly Crashes PC about once a day Blue Screen of Death in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I've had this incredibly frustrating issue the past several weeks where my PC will randomly hard crash - many times it will show the Blue... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KirkLinden, Jan 26, 2021.

1. DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION Randomly Crashes PC about once a day Blue Screen of Death

Hello,

I've had this incredibly frustrating issue the past several weeks where my PC will randomly hard crash - many times it will show the Blue Screen of Death with the 'DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION' error message before automatically restarting my PC, other times the computer just locks up and I have to manually restart the computer.

The crash doesn't seem to corelate to any program or any behavior that I am aware of. It has crashed in the middle of a game, it has crashed while just browsing the web or watching YouTube, it has even crashed when I was simply using the file explorer - so there's nothing I can do to immediately replicate to crash. It also happens just infrequently enough so I'm constantly fooled into thinking I've fixed it, only to have a crash a few hours or sometimes days later.

I've done a lot of research trying to get to the bottom of this, so here are the things that I've tried:

• Changing the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controller' to 'storachi.sys'
    • Running CHKDSK
    • Running SFC /scannow one time recently it found and repaired corrupted files, but didn't seem to fix this issue
    • Uninstalling / reinstalling / updating almost every device driver I could think of, including graphics, chipset, SSDs, sound devices. I haven't updated everything per se, but I also haven't seen any warnings or anything in device manager that seemed wrong.
    • Double-checked power / cable connection with each individual component inside & outside the PC, such as RAM & GPU seating
    • Unplugging external hard drive
    • Look through Event Viewer for clues / devices that caused BSOD
    • Running GPU stress test with FurMark
    • Running Windows memory diagnostic / mem test
    • Physically swapping out current graphics card RTX 3080 with an older one GTX 960, which I used for many years in a previous PC with no issues
    • Disable fast startup
    • Re-installing Windows 10 cleanly and completely.

I've probably tried more things but that's what I can remember off the top of my head - it's been a major annoyance to say the least.

The last two things I was going to try but haven't yet would be to:

• Physically unseat the RAM sticks, one at a time, using the system with just one RAM sick to see if either stick was causing the issues.
    • Physically swapping out current Wi-fi adapter for an older one that I've used for years on my previous PC with no issues.

I'm at a loss for what else I can try to get to the bottom of this.

My Question:

Could someone here who knows how to analyze BSOD errors look at my memory dump file to see if they can help me figure out what is causing these crashes, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I just want to know what is triggering the crashes so I can address the issues.

Here are 2 memory dump files from the crashes:
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akhci3Kg41Aq4ho2d98YZKMKF-JE?e=RjxVtO

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akhci3Kg41Aq4hvrCGg7Oxsv-rqY?e=181get

Here are my system specs:

Processor IntelR CoreTM i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz

Installed RAM 32.0 GB 31.9 GB usable

GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 960 swapped out from GeForce RTX 3080

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Home

Version 20H2

Installed on ‎1/‎21/‎2021

OS build 19042.746

Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Let me know if you need me to provide more system specs/info

Thanks so much!!!

KirkLinden

:)

KirkLinden, Jan 26, 2021
  2. Law-II Win User

Crash/blue screen

Hi

I assume from the title of your post Crash/Blue Screen that the PC has crashed and produced a *BSOD=[Blue Screen Of Death] =Blue Screen; and that the PC recovered from this; if and when you see the Blue Screen write the Stop Code down; recover the PC or use one that is working to access the net and look up the Stop Code.

nb: You may be able to view this with a [*BlueScreenView] application, google for this.

Edit Link - Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files.

Description
    ===========

BlueScreenView scans all your minidump files created during 'blue screen
    of death' crashes, and displays the information about all crashes in one
    table. For each crash, BlueScreenView displays the minidump filename, the
    date/time of the crash, the basic crash information displayed in the blue
    screen (Bug Check Code and 4 parameters), and the details of the driver
    or module that possibly caused the crash (filename, product name, file
    description, and file version).
    For each crash displayed in the upper pane, you can view the details of
    the device drivers loaded during the crash in the lower pane.
    BlueScreenView also mark the drivers that their addresses found in the
    crash stack, so you can easily locate the suspected drivers that possibly
    caused the crash.

atb

Law-II

Law-II, Jan 26, 2021
  3. Mala_S Win User
    1803 update causing PC crash with Blue Screen of Death

Hello annebinding,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To address your concern, kindly help us with the following questions:

1. What is the make and model of the computer?
    2. What is the exact error code/message you receive regarding the Blue Screen of death?

I understand that you are facing an issue regarding Blue Screen of Death. A faulty device driver or system service might be responsible for this. Hardware issues, such as BIOS incompatibilities, memory conflicts, and IRQ conflicts can also generate BSOD.
    We will look into this for you.

I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the following article step-by-step and see if it works:

The Operating System is designed to automatically receive new updates by default. We recommend not to stop the updates, since the updates consists various security patches and latest driver updates which helps to keep the computer safe and secure. Windows
    Updates will eventually need to be installed and downloaded, regardless of your update settings. However, you may temporarily pause updates from being downloaded and installed.

To know more on how to pause updates, you may refer to an article on:
    Manage updates in Windows 10.

Kindly get back to us with the results, we are looking into this for you and we will be glad to assist you if the issue persists.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Jan 26, 2021
  4. DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION Randomly Crashes PC about once a day Blue Screen of Death

DPC_WATCHDOG Violation

Recently, I have been receiving a DPC_WATCHDOG Violation error resulting in a BSOD and eventual restart of my machine. This seems to only happen when I'm watching Netflix, or Hulu, or some other video streaming. At the following location is the two minidump
    files that I have on my machine Minidump Files. Typically, when streaming a video
    the video becomes glitchy and freezes, sound is distorted, or the video just stops playing. Sometimes the video then recontinues, or occasionally it errors out with the DPC_WATCHDOG Violation. Also, I have updated all of my drivers. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you

jwilliams17349, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION Randomly Crashes PC about once a day Blue Screen of Death

1. DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION Randomly Crashes PC about once a day Blue Screen of Death - Similar Threads - DPC_WATCHDOG VIOLATION Randomly

2. PC crashes once a day

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashes once a day: SourceWindowsSummaryHardware errorDate‎11/‎28/‎2023 4:46 PMStatusNot reportedDescriptionA problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 144Parameter 1: 1020Parameter 2: ffffd60c753cb9a0Parameter...
  3. DPC_WatchDog Violation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC_WatchDog Violation: I played this game called Roblox. after a few hours. it tends to crash and gives me the the bluescreen error DPC_WatchDog Violation The bugcheck was: 0x00000133 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000501, 0x0000000000000500, 0xfffff802292fb320....
  4. DPC_WatchDog Violation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DPC_WatchDog Violation: I played this game called Roblox. after a few hours. it tends to crash and gives me the the bluescreen error DPC_WatchDog Violation The bugcheck was: 0x00000133 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000501, 0x0000000000000500, 0xfffff802292fb320....
  5. DPC_WatchDog Violation

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Blue Screen of Death once a day

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blue Screen of Death once a day: My computer blue screens usually once a day. It happens when Im working or idle but weirdly never when gaming which I do every evening for several hours. Ive done a lot of the scans recommended online found nothing so i reset windows but didnt help. Ive replaced my graphics...
  7. Blue Screen of Death once a day

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blue Screen of Death once a day: My computer blue screens usually once a day. It happens when Im working or idle but weirdly never when gaming which I do every evening for several hours. Ive done a lot of the scans recommended online found nothing so i reset windows but didnt help. Ive replaced my graphics...
  8. Blue Screen of Death once a day

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. PC Blue screens once a day

PC Blue screens once a day: Here are the dmp files https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuS1QHFoglP5pycoip0rL9vkRak_?e=GL9YS1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-blue-screens-once-a-day/449072b0-69c3-415b-b0dc-eba7f028957f
  10. DPC_watchdog violation

DPC_watchdog violation: Hi, I have been getting the DPC_watchdog violation issue for a couple of weeks now. I've done a fresh reinstall of windows. Done an SFC check and updated my bios to the latest version. I just want to know what the issue is. Minidump link to the last few....