Windows 10: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) when 1-3 hours into a game

Discus and support DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) when 1-3 hours into a game in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Greetings, The pc of my cousin is experiencing ingame freezes and sometimes bluescreens, when playing games like 7 days to die, The Forest or the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by arajdon, May 4, 2021.

1. arajdon Win User

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) when 1-3 hours into a game

Greetings, The pc of my cousin is experiencing ingame freezes and sometimes bluescreens, when playing games like 7 days to die, The Forest or the Hunter. It does not directly freeze but takes 1-3 hours to do so. The system itself is around one year old. What has been done: Reinstalled WindowsInstalled latest Windows UpdatesUpdated BIOS to the latest versionUpdated m2 SSD firmware to the latest versionRan driver software to discover missing or old driversRan driver verifier (no results) 1: kd> !analyze -v ******************************************************************************* * * * Bugcheck Analysis * * * ******************************************************************************* DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. Arguments: Arg1: 0000000000000001, The system cumulatively spent an extended period of time at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. The offending component can usually be identified with a stack trace. Arg2: 0000000000001e00, The watchdog period. Arg3: fffff8012d4fb320, cast to nt!DPC_WATCHDOG_GLOBAL_TRIAGE_BLOCK, which contains additional information regarding the cumulative timeout Arg4: 0000000000000000 Diagnostic Files: DESKTOP-AKURQQR-(2021-04-16_21-16-24).zip - Google Drive I have very limited knowledge of debugging dumps, thats why I am here. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) when 1-3 hours into a game :) Thanks in advance.

:)

arajdon, May 4, 2021
  2. arajdon Win User

Greetings,

The pc of my cousin is experiencing ingame freezes and sometimes bluescreens, when playing games like 7 days to die, The Forest or the Hunter. It does not directly freeze but takes 1-3 hours to do so. The system itself is around one year old.

What has been done:
    • Reinstalled Windows
    • Installed latest Windows Updates
    • Updated BIOS to the latest version
    • Updated m2 SSD firmware to the latest version
    • Ran driver software to discover missing or old drivers
    • Ran driver verifier (no results)

1: kd> !analyze -v
    *******************************************************************************
    * Bugcheck Analysis *
    *******************************************************************************

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
    The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL
    or above.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 0000000000000001, The system cumulatively spent an extended period of time at
    DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. The offending component can usually be
    identified with a stack trace.
    Arg2: 0000000000001e00, The watchdog period.
    Arg3: fffff8012d4fb320, cast to nt!DPC_WATCHDOG_GLOBAL_TRIAGE_BLOCK, which contains
    additional information regarding the cumulative timeout
    Arg4: 0000000000000000

Diagnostic Files:
    DESKTOP-AKURQQR-(2021-04-16_21-16-24).zip - Google Drive

I have very limited knowledge of debugging dumps, thats why I am here. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) when 1-3 hours into a game :)

Thanks in advance.

arajdon, May 4, 2021
  3. axe0 Win User

Just something to point out, missing drivers means there's software or hardware you can't use properly or not at all. That is something you would notice and doesn't cause system crashes normally.

This translates to the system ran a prolonged period on DISPATCH_LEVEL which is usually due to a cumulative effect of multiple drivers taking too much time to execute DPC routines. As MrPepka said, a kernel memory dump is needed to debug this one, or multiple runs of driver verifier as alternative in which I am curious as to which settings you used because driver verifier can be used for this using the right settings.

axe0, May 4, 2021
  4. auggy Win User

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

The minidump files showed two different errors, a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) error and a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3b) error.

The DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION may be caused by a wireless driver, the athwnx.sys.

Which wireless adapter do you have and which driver is installed?

Also, what ASUS software is installed?

auggy, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133) when 1-3 hours into a game - Similar Threads - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 hours

2. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133: Random BSOD a little worried 1: kd> !analyze -v******************************************************************************** ** Bugcheck Analysis ** ********************************************************************************DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133The DPC watchdog...
  3. PC keeps crashing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keeps crashing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when gaming: Since couple of days, as soon as I start a game and the fans pick up speed, the PC crashes and reboots itself. The GPU NVIDIA RTX 3080 was exchanged recently, as this was thought to be the issue, but apparently it is not. I have a Dell Desktop 8950, with Win 11. I tried a lot...
  4. PC keeps crashing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when gaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC keeps crashing with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133 when gaming: Since couple of days, as soon as I start a game and the fans pick up speed, the PC crashes and reboots itself. The GPU NVIDIA RTX 3080 was exchanged recently, as this was thought to be the issue, but apparently it is not. I have a Dell Desktop 8950, with Win 11. I tried a lot...
  5. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133: Hi there,I keep getting the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133. I ran the minidump file through WinDbg, but I don't know how to proceed from there, and I was hoping that someone could help me. I've been trying to fix this for a bit, so I've been going down a list of possible fixes...
  6. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133: Hi there,I keep getting the DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133. I ran the minidump file through WinDbg, but I don't know how to proceed from there, and I was hoping that someone could help me. I've been trying to fix this for a bit, so I've been going down a list of possible fixes...
  7. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133: Hi. I keep getting the DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION and I don't know how to fix it.Crash Dump:21: kd> !analyze -v******************************************************************************** ** Bugcheck Analysis **...
  8. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133: Hi,Rather than the last resort of resetting my PC, I was hoping someone might be able to help me analyse my minidump files. I suspect it's a driver issue, but I'm not sure how to diagnose which one it is.As a bit of background, the computer will crash to restart whenever I...
  9. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION 133: while I was using my pc it just froze and then bluescreen out of nowhere. I opened the minidump file and this is what I got. Microsoft R Windows Debugger Version 10.0.20153.1000 AMD64Copyright c Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.Loading Dump File...
  10. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133): Hello, some days ago my computer started crashing with this bluescreen. I tried several things already but didn't find out the issue: - Sometimes it crashes after many hours of usage, today it crashed after a little more than one hour. - Every crash happened when playing...