Windows 10: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT crashes frequently

Discus and support DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT crashes frequently in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have been having lots of BSODs on my desktop lately, which seem to happen fairly randomly during normal use. The crashes can sometimes happen weeks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by rickjamesia, Jan 14, 2017.

1. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT crashes frequently

I have been having lots of BSODs on my desktop lately, which seem to happen fairly randomly during normal use. The crashes can sometimes happen weeks apart but often happen very frequently (5 times in the past 24 hours, if i remember correctly). The errors given during these crashes are one of the following:

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

OR

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

The first error has happened far more than the second. I have actually only noticed the second error once. Generally when the crashes occur, the sound goes crazy, sometimes repeating over and over before changing to an extremely loud buzz, while the mouse reacts slowly for a moment before everything becomes unresponsive. At this point it will take anywhere from a few seconds to a couple minutes to pull up the Blue Screen and attempt to restart. Sometimes it won't happen at all and I will have to simply power the computer down manually. This problem has been going on for awhile with this machine, and has continued to happen after installing Windows 10 on a new SSD. I previously had a hard drive that was failing (slowly having more bad sectors), which was my only storage for the system, but last month I got a SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) and did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on that. I still have the old hard drive attached for access to old data, in case that is potentially the problem. In case it's worth noting, when Windows was running off the old drive, after a crash occurred, the system would never restart on its own. I had to turn it off myself every time it crashed.

These often happen while playing games (ranging from something intense like Overwatch to things less demanding like Undertale), but also have happened when simply listening to music, watching a video, using Visual Studio, or sometimes when I'm not really doing anything at all. I often come back to my computer to find that it has restarted leading me to believe that there are sometimes crashes while I am away from my desk.

My system information is mostly listed in my account and is probably in the logs that have been attached but I will leave some details here also (not sure what all to put so I'm going to just copy and paste everything listed from where I purchased the parts... mostly Newegg):

CPU:
    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge Quad-Core 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W BX80623I52500K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

Motherboard:
    ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Graphics:
    MSI GAMING GeForce GTX 970 4GB OC (GTX 970 GAMING 4G)

PSU:
    ModXStream Pro Series 500 Watt (listing for this product no longer exists to give much more info than that)

Old Storage:
    Western Digital Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

New Storage:
    [Primary]
    SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-75E250B/AM

AND

TOSHIBA X300 HDWE150XZSTA 5TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

Optical Drive (That Is almost never used):

ASUS DVD Burner Model: DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

And that's all. There are some more devices attached, but they are not always attached when the crashes happen. If more information is needed later I can definitely provide it.

Below I have attached the logs given from the tool provided in the BSOD instructions sticky post for this forum.
    Attachment 117160

From this information, can anyone help me figure out how to correct this problem? Any help at all is greatly appreciated. I can live with the crashes for the most part, but it's starting to affect my ability to code without distractions now that my personal computer has also become my work computer.

:)

rickjamesia, Jan 14, 2017
  2. RyanHames Win User

Repeated BSOD Reboots

Last two crashes the stopcode was: DPC_Watchdog_Violation. Does this help?

RyanHames, Jan 14, 2017
  3. BrigDillo Win User
    After updating my machine to Windows 10 Ver 1709 (OS Build 16299.19) my pc is running noticeably slower

I was able to do various tolling tasks on my pc before I did the windows updates, and now it seems as though I am unable to run hardly anything without lag and crashes, which I keep getting a series of windows errors on this update, as well as the past few,
    a DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION, and a VIDEO MEMORY MANAGEMENT INTERNAL blue screen crash, there appear to be a few other crashes I frequently experience as well but I cannot recall them off the top of my head.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

BrigDillo, Jan 14, 2017
  4. philc43 Win User

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT crashes frequently

Hello and welcome to TenForums *Smile

These are the clues from the log files you posted:

Code: BugCheck 133, {1, 1e00, 0, 0} Probably caused by : memory_corruption ffff9480`697ffde0 fffff800`9cc04d50Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\MBAMChameleon.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for MBAMChameleon.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for MBAMChameleon.sys MBAMChameleon+0x24d50[/quote] The driver is the Malwarebytes Chameleon Protection Driver. You could try temporarily uninstalling it or seeing if there is an update.

If you have never tested your memory you could also do this:

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT crashes frequently [​IMG]
    Diagnostic Test
    RAM TEST

Run MemTest86+ - Test RAM - Windows 10 Forums

Note

MemTest86+ needs to be run for at least 8 complete passes for conclusive results. Set it running before you go to bed and leave it overnight. We're looking for zero errors here. Even a single error will indicate RAM failure.

Make a photo of the result and post it.

Addition:
    If errors show up you can stop the test, remove all sticks but 1 and test this single stick in each slot for 8 passes or until errors show, switch sticks and repeat. This will allow you to determine which stick or slot is causing the problem.

philc43, Jan 15, 2017
Thema:

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT crashes frequently

1. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION and CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT crashes frequently - Similar Threads - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT crashes

2. BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout error suddenly frequent - unity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout error suddenly frequent - unity: Ran into a BSOD 5 times today only. Seems like a recent thing, it wasn't happening that often last year. Since it usually errors out when having Unity open, I tried updating the graphics driver, with no luck. It seems like other people in the office are also having a similar...
  3. BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout error suddenly frequent - unity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD clock_watchdog_timeout error suddenly frequent - unity: Ran into a BSOD 5 times today only. Seems like a recent thing, it wasn't happening that often last year. Since it usually errors out when having Unity open, I tried updating the graphics driver, with no luck. It seems like other people in the office are also having a similar...
  4. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Crashes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Crashes: This thread is technically a continuation of a previous one I made about a month ago. While playing games, sometimes my computer will freeze up, eventually crashing with the stopcode DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. I have two memory dumps from the most recent...
  5. Frequent DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD

Frequent DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD: Hello, I have been getting frequent DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION BSOD. It happens randomly and is getting very annoying. I ran CHKDSK command and it did not find any error. I ran sfc /scannow command and apparently windows found and fixed the corrupted files? However, the problem...
  6. Frequent BSODs due to "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Frequent BSODs due to "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION": Recently, my Windows 10 PC has been frequently freezing up, followed by a BSOD saying "DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION". This has only been happening for the past month. I ran "sfc /scannow" and "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth", which both found no issues with my Windows...
  7. Frequent BSOD: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Frequent BSOD: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION: Hi, I'm getting BSOD with DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION message multiple times of day. This mostly happens while playing video, but rarely while playing games. I've tried clean install graphics drivers and also updated sound drivers. Unfortunately this gave no effect and...
  8. Frequent BSOD crashes, stating "DPC_watchdog_violation"

Frequent BSOD crashes, stating "DPC_watchdog_violation": Occurs whilst working, gaming, streaming videos. Screen freezes, audio continues for a while. Sometimes unfreezes there and then but most times continues to BSOD stating "DPC_watchdog_violation". Happens as much as four times an hour. Happened whilst typing this question...
  9. Frequent BSOD crashes - DPC Watchdog Violation

Frequent BSOD crashes - DPC Watchdog Violation: Hey all, I'm getting frequent DPC Watchdog_Violation BSOD crashes and I just cannot figure out why. A bit of background: I bought an ACER Aspirer TC-280 Desktop in March. It ran okay for about a month then it started acting up. I had a ticking hard drive, multiple crashes...
  10. Frequent BSoD While Gaming DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

Frequent BSoD While Gaming DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION: I primarily use my computer for either gaming or to watch videos. Before upgrading to Windows 10 my computer would be quite stable. After upgrading, approximately one hour of gaming (almost exactly) will cause my computer to either lock up and later produce a BSoD saying a...