Windows 10: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION related to nvlddmkm.sys

Discus and support DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION related to nvlddmkm.sys in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I've been getting this error for some time now, and it happens pretty randomly. Back when I had Windows 8.1, my laptop would get really slow before... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by AEADGbB, Apr 6, 2016.

1. AEADGbB Win User

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION related to nvlddmkm.sys

Hi, I've been getting this error for some time now, and it happens pretty randomly. Back when I had Windows 8.1, my laptop would get really slow before crashing shortly after. Now that I have upgraded to Windows 10, it seems like the crashes only happen when I'm playing a game. Sometimes, it would just display the message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" then freezing shortly afterwards. Attached below are the files that the log collector gathered.

:)

AEADGbB, Apr 6, 2016
  2. SebiVSP Win User

Win 10 DCP Watchdog Violation

Hello,

I have the same problem, I keep getting the same errors, as Who Crashed describes :

On Thu 1/4/2018 5:23:39 PM your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\010418-15843-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1640E0)

Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF801E91F8370, 0x0)

Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System

company: Microsoft Corporation

description: NT Kernel & System

Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 1/4/2018 5:23:39 PM your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x1D5FE6)

Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF801E91F8370, 0x0)

Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_c68c1eb90f6d242e\nvlddmkm.sys

product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 388.59

company: NVIDIA Corporation

description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 388.59

Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.

This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).

A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 388.59 , NVIDIA Corporation).

Google query: NVIDIA Corporation DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

I also have a Geforce 1080 but not desktop.

The GPU temperature seems to be ok but i still get BSOD while rendering videos or while editing very high resolution images.

Since I don`t have Alienware command center, deos anyone have an idea of what I can try?

SebiVSP, Apr 6, 2016
  3. auggy Win User
    BSOD DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

The only driver that appeared to be involved in the crash was the nvlddmkm.sys.

BUCKET_ID: 0x133_ISR_nvlddmkm!unknown_function

You could try an even older driver such as the 378.78.

Also, consider a clean install of the Creators Update as that would fix any configuration issue.

This error is not uncommon you could also consider opening a topic on the GeForce forum.

auggy, Apr 6, 2016
  4. zztemp Win User

Hi and welcome to the forum *Smile
    I see you have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M as GPU

and you are currently using driver:

Code: lmvm nvlddmkm Browse full module list start end module name fffff801`09e70000 fffff801`0aa95000 nvlddmkm T (no symbols) Loaded symbol image file: nvlddmkm.sys Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys Image name: nvlddmkm.sys Browse all global symbols functions data Timestamp: Tue Feb 23 20:31:51 2016 (56CCB3A7) CheckSum: 00BEE1BE ImageSize: 00C25000 Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4[/quote] It is strange to me that on de support page of your Lenovo, there is no recent driver for your: GPU Laptops :: Lenovo Y Series laptops :: Y50-70 Laptop (Lenovo) - Lenovo Support (US)

There currently is a new driver out for your GPU -> driver 364.72 WHQL (date: 28/03/2016)
    found at http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/100870/en-us

You could delete all drivers with DDU and do a reinstall of the latest nvidia drivers.

Note: Some say that for a laptop, you can best install drivers that are provided by the manufacturer.
    If you wish to follow this reasoning, you could always reinstall the latest drivers provided by Lenovo after you have removed all existing videodrivers with DDU.

On a sidenote:
    Your mouse is being mentioned as a problem device:
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse ACPI\SYN2B34\4&2F91B4FB&0 Failure using the VxD loader.

zztemp, Apr 6, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    Laptop manufacturers are usually very slow with releasing new driver updates, hence the reason why there is no update for a long period.
    Drivers other than from the laptop manufacturer may not function 100% proper, which is why it isn't recommended to install drivers that aren't provided by the laptop manufacturer.

It seems the drivers from the Lenovo are a bit more outdated, but usually they are at least 100% stable, I recommend to run DDU and install the drivers Lenovo provides.

Please uninstall everything of Nvidia using Display Driver Uninstaller and install new drivers from Lenovo. Be sure the clean install box is checked and only install the Graphics driver and the PhysX driver.
    Attachment 73564

axe0, Apr 6, 2016
  6. AEADGbB Win User
    Alright thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm downloading DDU and the vendor NVidia drivers right now. I'll update y'all but it'll be a while, since I have really slow internet connection.

AEADGbB, Apr 6, 2016
  7. AEADGbB Win User
    Got rid of my old drivers and reinstalled the one from Lenovo. It got me two straight hours of playing, then the "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" showed up again. Pretty sure I'll get another BSOD later on. Would post another log collector zip after a while.

AEADGbB, Apr 7, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

Only if you truly get a new BSOD please.

axe0, Apr 7, 2016
  9. AEADGbB Win User
    Update: I've gotten two BSODs. During the first one, the display driver kept on crashing and recovering everytime I open the NVidia control panel. It eventually crashed with a VIDEO_TDR_ERROR. During the second one, I was in a game, then the screen and audio froze, artifacts showed up and shortly afterwards, it crashed with a VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR. Sfc /scannow said that there were no integrity violations. I don't know if it's relevant, but whenever it reboots from a BSOD or when I do a hard reset, it makes a popping sound. Could my GPU be damaged? Anyway, I'm having trouble attaching the log collector zip here, so I just uploaded it to Mega.

https://mega.nz/#!B5YCGKTY!J3UGKJTmN...DdHj9EzmBhGIaE

AEADGbB, Apr 7, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    Possibly, it sounds like it at least, but it may be something else.
    I assume you use both your GPU's?

Was it possible to only install the drivers with the installation setup?

11. AEADGbB Win User
    Apparently, the integrated graphics card is mostly in use. The discrete one is only used in 3D applications. It also doesn't seem to crash when I disable the discrete GPU. Also, the drivers were installed through setup. I just tried going to the control panel after installation to change the settings.

AEADGbB, Apr 7, 2016
  12. AEADGbB Win User
    Also, not sure if it helps, but the GPU doesn't seem to be slowing down before it crashes. It's like, completely random. I even went one week straight without crashing back when I was using 8.1.

AEADGbB, Apr 7, 2016
  13. zztemp Win User

So am i correct that it only started crashing when you went from W8.1 to W10?
    IF this is the case, i would think it to be a software issue and not an hardware issue,
    although the popping sound might suggest otherwise.

zztemp, Apr 7, 2016
  14. AEADGbB Win User
    Nah, it's been crashing for two months now, actually. I only upgraded to W10 the other day, to see if it would solve the issue. I had no crashes during the day I installed W10, then the crashes came back the next day. Yeah, pretty random.

AEADGbB, Apr 7, 2016
  15. AEADGbB Win User
    I've tried going back and forth through version 362.00 and 353.24 (the one from Lenovo). They both cause the display driver to stop responding, although version 362.00 seem to cause BSODs while 353.24 does not. Also, version 362.00 caused a BSOD loop when I tried going to startup settings. The PC even rebooted once while the BSOD was at 0% once. I was able to get into Safe Mode via rebooting through DDU. Currently using 353.24. Going to try changing TDR timer.

Attachment 73892

AEADGbB, Apr 8, 2016
Thema:

1. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION related to nvlddmkm.sys - Similar Threads - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION related nvlddmkm

2. Constant BSODs related to "wdf01000.sys"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Constant BSODs related to "wdf01000.sys": I've recently started having issues with this particular file. Device manager tells me everything is fine, windows is up to date, all my hard drives are in top shape. I've run image file and sfc a bazillion times and nothing seems to have gone wrong with it, I've also scanned...
  3. NVIDIA crash - Related to nvlddmkm process

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    NVIDIA crash - Related to nvlddmkm process: Hi all, For the past week or so I've had some BSODs. The issue points to the nvlddmkm process. So far, I've:Reinstalled the NVIDIA drivermanually uninstalled the NVIDIA driver, restarted, then installed an older NVIDIA driver from Dec 2021run RAM checker no issuesverified the...
  4. NVIDIA crash - Related to nvlddmkm process

in Windows 10 Gaming
    NVIDIA crash - Related to nvlddmkm process: Hi all, For the past week or so I've had some BSODs. The issue points to the nvlddmkm process. So far, I've:Reinstalled the NVIDIA drivermanually uninstalled the NVIDIA driver, restarted, then installed an older NVIDIA driver from Dec 2021run RAM checker no issuesverified the...
  5. NVIDIA crash - Related to nvlddmkm process

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION "USB" related issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION "USB" related issue: Hi everyone,I'm having a persistent issue related to usb, since every time I plug-in a different USB in any port, I get this Blue screen with the message as described in the title. I'll leave the mini dump files to check whatever is causing this:Mini dump files Also my sys...
  7. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION "USB" related issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION "USB" related issue: Hi everyone,I'm having a persistent issue related to usb, since every time I plug-in a different USB in any port, I get this Blue screen with the message as described in the title. I'll leave the mini dump files to check whatever is causing this:Mini dump files Also my sys...
  8. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION "USB" related issue

9. BSOD Crashes Relating to dxgmms2.sys

BSOD Crashes Relating to dxgmms2.sys: Hi,I've been experiencing intermittent BSOD crashes in Windows 10. The most recent one had a message relating to dxgmms2.sys, and previous crashes seem to implicate a driver/drivers being the cause of these crashes. I have run memory tests and found nothing wrong with the...
  10. Frequent dxgmms2.sys related BSOD's

Frequent dxgmms2.sys related BSOD's: Since the last windows update I get frequent crashes with the above source referenced. My Nvidia graphic driver is overwritten by a seemingly unstable one by windows update. My only resolution to cure the problem is to roll back to an older version, whereby I can play...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. watchdog violation windows 10 nvlddmkm.sys