Windows 10: DPFT Error 256 - most likely cause? Battery?

Discus and support DPFT Error 256 - most likely cause? Battery? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; What is the mostly likely cause of an Intel Dynamic platform and thermal framework (DPFT) Error = 256. I am running an up to date Win 10 v 1903 on a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by selfsimilar, Nov 6, 2019.

1. DPFT Error 256 - most likely cause? Battery?

What is the mostly likely cause of an Intel Dynamic platform and thermal framework (DPFT) Error = 256.

I am running an up to date Win 10 v 1903 on a Yoga 13 x64 laptop. It intermittently present a black screen. Frequently is will boot up properly after a couple of hard resets. However, the error seen in the Event viewer for those that failed are the DPFT problem

Is this error usually indicative of a battery problem?

thanks

:)

selfsimilar, Nov 6, 2019
  2. Edleen Win User

Possible Causes of atikmdag errors

I was courious to see how many different causes there are to the infamous atikmdag.sys error that strikes widely across and has so for a long time, I am getting it myself also and it is really starting to wear me out. It is pretty annoying having a $520 Readeon 3870x2 card if you can't use it without errors.

So first of all, here is the apparant reason for my atikmdag error:

When I play a game, regardless of settings, clocks or anything else, the fan speed wil not be adjusting and the card will get hotter as it performs. As soon as the card gets hot enough, my system will attempt to speed up the fan and as soon as they do, I get the atikmdag error. I never hear the fan of my card go beyond 30% fan speed unless I push it using Rivatuner.

Anyone else got other apparant reasons?

By the way, here are the steps I have been trying to fix it
    • Renaming atikmdag.sys to "atikomdag.sys(old)
    • Set fan speed profiles in Rivatuner depending on temeprature thresholds
    • Setting fixed fan speed in Rivatuner
    • Installing only the ATI drivers without Catalyst Control Centre
    • Replacing RAM blocks
    • Trying older drivers
    I have probably tried a few

Edleen, Nov 6, 2019
  3. laptop battery wont charge after latest update

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s okay if you only have 1).

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

FreeBooter, Nov 6, 2019
  4. DPFT Error 256 - most likely cause? Battery?

How to disable battery notifications on laptop when connected to AC?

Hi,

You are receiving Battery Saver notifications to help you prolong the battery life of your desktop. To help you resolve this concern, we would like to suggest these steps to turn off the notifications from battery saver:

• Open Settings app.
    • Select System.
    • Click on Notifications & actions tab.
    • Scroll down and look for Battery Saver. Turn off the slider.

Let us know if the above steps resolve the issue.

Janeane Cru, Nov 6, 2019
Thema:

DPFT Error 256 - most likely cause? Battery?

1. DPFT Error 256 - most likely cause? Battery? - Similar Threads - DPFT Error 256

2. Various BOSD mostly on battery

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Various BOSD mostly on battery: Dear Microsoft support team.I am running into various BOSD on my Asus Flow x16, mostly when running it on battery, after ca. 15min. Lately there are also BOSD during the start followed by a normal start, or while running with external power.BOSD Messages...
  3. Various BOSD mostly on battery

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Various BOSD mostly on battery: Dear Microsoft support team.I am running into various BOSD on my Asus Flow x16, mostly when running it on battery, after ca. 15min. Lately there are also BOSD during the start followed by a normal start, or while running with external power.BOSD Messages...
  4. Explorer used MOST of my battery

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer used MOST of my battery: I just cannot understand and cannot find any setting about the battery usage of explorer. What I can do is stop the explorer in task manager right after I turn on my laptop, and then I can find the remaining time of battery extend like triple........ What can I do to make...
  5. Is 256-bit BitLocker encryption really 256-bit?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is 256-bit BitLocker encryption really 256-bit?: It might sound like a silly question, but clearly I'm not getting something. I've enabled 256-bit encryption in group policy settings and encrypted a drive.manage-bde -status says Encryption Method: XTS-AES 256. But the recovery key is still 48 digits long. Since every sixth...
  6. The most annoying bluetooth battery messages

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    The most annoying bluetooth battery messages: I have a bluetooth mechanical keyboard (and a standard wired one I'm using now) When the battery is low I get a message in the lower right corner "battey level on device is 19%" Yes it is misspelled. Then it pops up 50 more times. Even after I unplug the BT USB and turn off...
  7. The most annoying bluetooth battery messages

in Windows 10 Support
    The most annoying bluetooth battery messages: I have a bluetooth mechanical keyboard (and a standard wired one I'm using now) When the battery is low I get a message in the lower right corner "battey level on device is 19%" Yes it is misspelled. Then it pops up 50 more times. Even after I unplug the BT USB and turn off...
  8. What is the most likely cause of forwarding email rules being set up?

What is the most likely cause of forwarding email rules being set up?: * Merged. Originally posted to Virus & Malware. I need some advice/help. I am supporting a person on the Autistic Spectrum who has recently been fired for gross misconduct and wants to appeal this decision. There was not one shred of evidence presented to them throughout...
  9. What is the most likely cause of forwarding email rules being set up?

What is the most likely cause of forwarding email rules being set up?: I need some advice/help. I am supporting a person on the Autistic Spectrum who has recently been fired for gross misconduct and wants to appeal this decision. There was not one shred of evidence presented to them throughout the firing process, however what they were accused...
  10. BSOD cause (mostly) unknown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD cause (mostly) unknown: My computer has been having regular BSODs that I have tracked to ntoskrnl.exe. I have run the Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] command multiple times and it always comes back clean. I dont remember if I have tried Code: DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth[/quote] or...