Windows 10: Drag and Drop Desktop Icons

Discus and support Drag and Drop Desktop Icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Trust this is posted in correct forum...……… I cannot drag and drop desktop icons (?) They always move back. I have researched and tried 1) ESC key... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by majestic100, Jan 31, 2019.

1. Drag and Drop Desktop Icons

Trust this is posted in correct forum...………

I cannot drag and drop desktop icons (?) They always move back. I have researched and tried 1) ESC key option 2) Task Manger explorer.exe option 3) Registry EnableLUA option. None of this worked. I've run sfc /scannow with no integrity violations as well as DISM health check/restore. No change in Drag and Drop working.

As a final option I've reset Windows 10 retaining files (if not some/a lot of programs). But still Drag and Drop not working. I ensured all available updates are installed - running Windows 10 v1803 build 17134.556 (v1809 not yet offered)

This is one of two identical HP laptops. The other one has Drag and Drop working fine.

Really appreciate assistance in resolving this problem

Thamks

:)

majestic100, Jan 31, 2019
  2. OldAussie Win User

How to drag and drop programs to desktop

I don't use Edge, but I have read that it gives no option about where to save downloads - they are always saved into your Downloads folder. So it would be a two step process. (1) download it (2) drag and drop from Downloads to Desktop.

By the way, it's a good habit to always use the right mouse button for drag and drop. Then you can choose between move or copy or create shortcut.

OldAussie, Jan 31, 2019
  3. Desktop Shortcut Icons

I tried using Edge that comes with the computer and I can see the logo you are talking about. When I try to drag it to the desktop you can see that I have it but as soon as I drop it the window opens rather than putting the shortcut icon on the desktop.

mik-dav 1500, Jan 31, 2019
  4. Drag and Drop Desktop Icons

Cant move desktop icons or drag and drop files

Hi,

I cannon't move Icons on my desktop or drag and drop files now on Windows 10. I have tried everything including:

Right clicking the desktop, arrange by, and Auto Arrange Icons is UNchecked.

Tried the ESC button trick. It didn't work.

Any help appreciated.

CodyCochran, Jan 31, 2019
Thema:

Drag and Drop Desktop Icons

1. Drag and Drop Desktop Icons - Similar Threads - Drag Drop Desktop

2. Icon size whilst dragging and dropping.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Icon size whilst dragging and dropping.: How do I change the size of the icon whilst using drag and drop? The size is ludicrous and you cannot see where you are moving files to - it is deeply infuriating....
  3. Icon size whilst dragging and dropping.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Icon size whilst dragging and dropping.: How do I change the size of the icon whilst using drag and drop? The size is ludicrous and you cannot see where you are moving files to - it is deeply infuriating....
  4. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  5. Cant drag and drop icons,folders or any items in explorer or desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant drag and drop icons,folders or any items in explorer or desktop: Any solutions? I have searched all across google and all the results are related to some 2015 issues like upgrading from Win 8 to Win 10 or needing to uninstall Stardock application. None of those issues relate to me. I am on Windows 10 that came free with my laptop. All...
  6. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  7. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop: When did the ability to drag and drop from the taskbar to the desktop end? 122324
  8. drag and drop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drag and drop: How do I fix the drag and drop function on windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/4f64f2ff-0a7d-45c6-9c26-fc131a8fd7b6
  9. How to drag and drop programs to desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    How to drag and drop programs to desktop: I'm liking 10 the more I use it. However there are a few problems Microsoft has to deal with. In 7 it was easy to copy a program to the desktop. In 10 I've tried for a few hours and I can't seem to copy a program to desktop. In fact when I find a program I want to save to...
  10. icons on desktop will not drag

in Windows 10 Support
    icons on desktop will not drag: Win 10, 64 bit, recent upgrade from Win 7. Beginning this afternoon, all of a sudden, the icons on the desktop will not drag, they are fixed in place. I can delete them, open them, move them via right-click and 'copy to' or 'move to'. They simply will not move. I've...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. DESKTOP DROP ICONS

2. how to drag and drop printer icon to desktop