Windows 10: Drag-and-Drop into a Windows Compressed Folder Doesn't Update Folder

Discus and support Drag-and-Drop into a Windows Compressed Folder Doesn't Update Folder in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I've ditched WinZip and am now using Win10 Compressed Folders. When I drag-and-drop files into a previously created compressed folder with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FatRaff, Dec 5, 2019.

1. FatRaff Win User

Drag-and-Drop into a Windows Compressed Folder Doesn't Update Folder

I've ditched WinZip and am now using Win10 Compressed Folders. When I drag-and-drop files into a previously created compressed folder with the same-named files (earlier file versions obviously) the compressed folder does not update at all. The files in the compressed folder are not replaced. This applies to all file types, eg text files (.txt), MS Access files (.mdb), jaypeg files (.jpg) etc . I have checked the validity of the contents of the compressed folder (moved it off-site, rebooted PC, etc) but no joy - the files have not been updated. In addition, new files are not added, although curiously a pop-up progress meter is displayed suggesting large files are indeed being accessed and processed but then not written to the compressed folder.

I have checked many security settings, eg "Controlled Folder Access", etc.

I am running up-to-date versions of Win10 Pro and the problem is on both an 8 year-old desktop and a 3 year-old Surface.

My work-around is to created a new compressed folder with the new files, then delete the old folder and rename the new one to the old one - what a kludge!

Is this a continuation of the woes with Win10 compressed folder/files and will there be a fix soon? If not, I shall renew my WinZip subscription!

:)

FatRaff, Dec 5, 2019

2. Drag and Drop

Hi Charles,

the steps you suggested didn't work for me but, when pressing the escape key it somehow expanded the drive and by using drag and drop to the single file in the list worked.

In the past I could drag and drop multiple folders onto the drive on the network computer(s). Doing it on individual folders will take far too long and time consuming and is not an option.

Microsoft should be able to identify what is blocking it and issue a fix.

My machine is multi boot so tomorrow I will try with Windows 7.

Many thanks for your help,

Deric

DericStain, Dec 5, 2019
  3. WojtasRed Win User
    Hidden folders

I installed `Kane and Lynch` on my PC twice in Program Files(x86) folder but I can`t find them (2 folders with game). But free space on my HDD is lower. So there`re those folders on my hdd. I use option `unhide` hidden folders but still can`t find them. Any suggestions? How can i delete those hidden folders?

When I run istallation for this game I can see those folders in Program Files(x86) folde.

I`m using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

WojtasRed, Dec 5, 2019
  4. Drag-and-Drop into a Windows Compressed Folder Doesn't Update Folder

Can you rearrange folders in Windows 10 Explorer via drag and drop?

I am trying to arrange folders into a certain order within Documents in Windows 10 Pro Explorer. A Windows 10 technician told me this was possible via drag and drop but that only allows me to drop a folder within another folder, which I don't want to do.
    Is there a way to list folders in a specific order? Using Sort By doesn't work.

thanks!

PhinneyDad, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

Drag-and-Drop into a Windows Compressed Folder Doesn't Update Folder

1. Drag-and-Drop into a Windows Compressed Folder Doesn't Update Folder - Similar Threads - Drag Drop Compressed

2. Drag and drop large folders and permissions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drag and drop large folders and permissions: Hello,I am writing to report a problem with the windows storage server in my work place. We have a couple of folders that store 5 TB each on this server. However, when a user tries to drag a folder to another location and immediately cancels the request, the action is still...
  3. Drag and drop large folders and permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag and drop large folders and permissions: Hello,I am writing to report a problem with the windows storage server in my work place. We have a couple of folders that store 5 TB each on this server. However, when a user tries to drag a folder to another location and immediately cancels the request, the action is still...
  4. Drag and drop large folders and permissions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

Compress new folder content in compressed folder: I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything was compressed as expected.However, new content I add files and folders are not compressed, it seems. At least they are not...
  6. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compress new folder content in compressed folder: I have several folders on my filesystem that I've set to compress everything inside including subfolders. When I set the folder to compress, everything was compressed as expected.However, new content I add files and folders are not compressed, it seems. At least they are not...
  7. Compress new folder content in compressed folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. drag and drop picture files within folders

drag and drop picture files within folders: where are controls for drag and drop picture files within folders? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-picture-files-within-folders/ae3e96bf-a754-44b5-99d2-67f62c9fbcfa
  9. Folder disappeared after drag and drop

Folder disappeared after drag and drop: I accidentally dragged a folder containing very important docs mostly Word and PDFs from my desktop window into another folder’s window. After dragging back into the desktop window, it just disappeared. There was no dialog box showing the move, it just vanished. It’s now even...
  10. compressed folders

compressed folders: I keep getting a message that pops up that says:Compressed(zipped)Folders Please insert the last disk of the Multi-Volume set and click OK to continue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/compressed-folders/f16c1d11-725e-4876-a8fc-1a6f2e9583c9"