Windows 10: Drag and Drop to move files not working

Discus and support Drag and Drop to move files not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS build 17134.407). I was trying to move a folder to another folder. So I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by LakshyaGoel_Delhi, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Drag and Drop to move files not working

Hi,

I've recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS build 17134.407).

I was trying to move a folder to another folder. So I did the following:

1. I dragged the folder to be moved with mouse.

2. Pressed Alt+tab to switch to the target folder.

3. The dragged folder disappeared from the mouse pointer.

4. The source folder has a shortcut of the dragged folder added in the list.

This was quite convenient to use this feature in all the previous versions of Windows. Infact my previous laptop also had Windows 10 that was upgraded from Window 7 and this feature was working in that as well. Is there some setting required in Windows 10 to achieve this?

:)

LakshyaGoel_Delhi, Dec 4, 2018
  2. Win User
  3. Cannot Drag and Drop into Edge

• I have been on Win 10 and Edge since June 2016.
    • I was able to drag and drop files in a SP2013 document library until today.
    • I tried it with OneDrive with the same result. I can no longer drag and drop to upload files.

Repeat: Drag and drop worked in my SharePoint 2013 libraries and OneDrive until today.

Was there a recent Win 10 or Edge update that may have broken drag and drop?

Len Gilbert BOTW, Dec 4, 2018
  4. Drag and Drop to move files not working

Drag and Drop rarely works

Hi Matt,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

To assist you better, please answer the following questions:

1. Do you receive any error message when you try to drag the files to the new folder?

2. Is the issue specific to a particular folder?

3. What kind of file type are you trying to drag and drop?

Meanwhile I would suggest you to try the steps below and check if it helps.

1. Open the folder which contains the files.

2. To select all files, press Ctrl + A, to select random files, press
    Ctrl key and click on the desired file.

3. Drag the files and hover it over the desired folder until you see a "move to
    'name of the folder'
    " option.

4. Drop the files.

Do get back to us with the result. We will be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Wungraileng Vashi, Dec 4, 2018
Thema:

Drag and Drop to move files not working

1. Drag and Drop to move files not working - Similar Threads - Drag Drop move

2. File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer issues with drag and drop moves and renaming files: Problem 1: I've been having an intermittent problem with moving files in Windows Explorer via drag 'n' drop for quite some time. I typically have two or more File Explorer windows open and position one where the file is and the other where I want the file to go; then I drag...
  3. Moving the orginal file when drag and dropping a shortcut

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Moving the orginal file when drag and dropping a shortcut: Hello! Sadly google cant help me with this one so I thought why not open a post? But lets get to my question. I got a folder with shortcuts to differnt pictures which are in different folders. Is there a way to easy move the original data by drag and dropping the shortcut?...
  4. Drag and drop not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drag and drop not working: Can somebody help me how to fix drag and drop cuz i'm having some difficulties trying to fix it submitted by /u/tinki_vinkiii [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j08xv2/drag_and_drop_not_working/
  5. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drag and drop files: i have a touch pad thing and i cant drag and drop files into a diffrent folder how do i do this please help me, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-files/834e0054-f3ba-477b-839c-d09481300874
  6. move a file w/drag & drop doesn't work

in Windows 10 Customization
    move a file w/drag & drop doesn't work: win 10 update & now I can't move a file w/drag & drop. Instead, the file opens. How to fix? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/move-a-file-wdrag-drop-doesnt-work/2d89380f-9e0b-4922-80f2-a8ec3c0b833a
  7. Explorer Drag and Drop 'Move' - Not Working - Win 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Explorer Drag and Drop 'Move' - Not Working - Win 10: Explorer Drag and Drop 'Move' - Not Working - Win 10 131962
  8. Windows Explorer drag-drop a file, but Windows moves it back

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer drag-drop a file, but Windows moves it back: Hi folks, I'm getting frustrated today. Editing and moving a lot of files around today, and suddenly I notice that when I drag and drop a file from one place in a folder tree to another place a few branches away, WinExp shows the move... but about 5 seconds later, it just...
  9. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and drop files: [img] when dragging files in win 10 the icon is so big that u can not see where u r dragging to. Is there a way to turn this feature off ? IN THE SCREEN CAPTURE WHEN I DRAG A FILE THIS ICON GOES WITH THE DRAGGING FILE AND MAKE IT HARD TO SEE WHERE YOU ARE DROPPING IT....
  10. File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer Drag and Drop doesn't work: Hello, when I try to drag and drop a file using file explorer, it shows a red "unavailable" icon. I also haven't found a way to disable the annoying time and date text at the bottom left of the lock screen (which was easily done in Windows 8.1 as documented on...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to fix drag and drop issue on windows 10 edge with sharepoint 2013

2. when trying to drag and drop files to sharepoint site just spine

3. drag and drop file moving

4. windows move to folder not working,
  5. trying to drag and drop file phpmyadmin but its not uploading,
  6. move files drag and drop