Windows 10: Drag and Drop with no Drive Letter

Discus and support Drag and Drop with no Drive Letter in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have an flash drive which I use to store personal data and as such I’ve unassigned the drive letter so it doesn’t appear in file explorer. Currently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/phxntm, Jun 30, 2020.

1. /u/phxntm Win User

Drag and Drop with no Drive Letter

I have an flash drive which I use to store personal data and as such I’ve unassigned the drive letter so it doesn’t appear in file explorer. Currently using the volume’s GUID to access the drive via a batch file.

So far it’s working fine, but one thing I’ve noticed is that I can’t drag and drop files on the drive. This applies to both files from external drives, as well as those within the same drive. Copy/Cut and Paste still works, oddly enough.

I’m assuming it’s because there’s no drive letter. Is this by design? If so, is there any way I can change the behaviour so it doesn’t rely on a drive letter?

Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/phxntm
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/phxntm, Jun 30, 2020

2. Drag and Drop

Hi Charles,

the steps you suggested didn't work for me but, when pressing the escape key it somehow expanded the drive and by using drag and drop to the single file in the list worked.

In the past I could drag and drop multiple folders onto the drive on the network computer(s). Doing it on individual folders will take far too long and time consuming and is not an option.

Microsoft should be able to identify what is blocking it and issue a fix.

My machine is multi boot so tomorrow I will try with Windows 7.

Many thanks for your help,

Deric

DericStain, Jun 30, 2020
  3. fireberd Win User
    macrium....unable to drag drop partitions to target drive

I recently used Macrium Reflect V7 free to clone an SSD to another SSD. I didn't have to drag and drop anything.
    Just click on "Clone this disk" and then in the next step select the drive you want for the destination clone.

Drag and Drop with no Drive Letter [​IMG]

fireberd, Jun 30, 2020
  4. Win User

Thema:

1. Drag and Drop with no Drive Letter - Similar Threads - Drag Drop Drive

2. File Drag & Drop Between Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Drag & Drop Between Drives: How do I disable the feature that leaves a copy of the file on the source drive when dragging to another drive? Dragging a file to another folder on the same drive moves it to the new location while dragging a file from drive 1 to drive 2 puts a copy on both drives....
  3. File Drag & Drop Between Drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Drag & Drop Between Drives: How do I disable the feature that leaves a copy of the file on the source drive when dragging to another drive? Dragging a file to another folder on the same drive moves it to the new location while dragging a file from drive 1 to drive 2 puts a copy on both drives....
  4. File Drag & Drop Between Drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Dropping of Drive letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Dropping of Drive letter: I keep having a problem that my second drive labeled "Z" keeps disappearing and I have to go into Disk Management to relabel it and then I can work with it. Any ideas as to why this is happening and what I can do will be appreciated....
  6. Dropping of Drive letter

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dropping of Drive letter: I keep having a problem that my second drive labeled "Z" keeps disappearing and I have to go into Disk Management to relabel it and then I can work with it. Any ideas as to why this is happening and what I can do will be appreciated....
  7. Dropping of Drive letter

8. Drag and drop

Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  9. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  10. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop: When did the ability to drag and drop from the taskbar to the desktop end? 122324