Windows 10: Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this?

Discus and support Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I don't want to have to hold a button each time I do it. It's difficult to remember and I just want to move things, not create new copies of them.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Zoofyooo, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this?

I don't want to have to hold a button each time I do it.

It's difficult to remember and I just want to move things, not create new copies of them.

submitted by /u/Zoofyooo
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Zoofyooo, Feb 23, 2021

2. Click and Drag moves file instead of Copying...

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, I understand that you want the file to be copied, when you click and drag a file.

The default option when you click and drag a file is “move”, unless the destination is external storage (like pen drive, external hard disk etc.,) in this case the file will be copied, please be informed that this option cannot be changed.

If you are dragging the files from one folder to another which is in same location it will move by default. To copy the files you need to press
    Ctrl key on the keyboard.

When you drag a file or folder, exactly what happens depends upon what you drag and where you drag it. Pop-up windows containing information appear when you drag a file over a destination—pay attention to these to find out what will happen when you
    release the mouse button.

Note: If you press and hold the right mouse button while dragging, a menu appears that lets you choose a specific action, such as copying or moving.

Reference: Moving and copying files by using the drag-and-drop method:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Move-and-copy-files-using-drag-and-drop

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, Feb 23, 2021
  3. Click and Drag moves file instead of Copying...

Hi,

Clicking and dragging doesn't copy files in my PC. Instead it's moving..! How can I change this and set it for copying always...?

Joseph V. Michael, Feb 23, 2021
  4. Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this?

Change default file drag-and-drop action to Copy rather than Move

I have the same problem and it is VERY annoying. Why change! I want it to COPY when I drag and drop between drives. It has always copied ever since 95! Why change it to move now!

Also why can't you edit the All Apps list?

Oh and by the way, the white, or grey, or dark grey, being the ONLY options in Office for background colours SUCKS big time.

AndrewBarronTS, Feb 23, 2021
Thema:

Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this?

1. Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this? - Similar Threads - Drag dropping files

2. can i delete these files or move them to another disk?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    can i delete these files or move them to another disk?: can i delete the 8 files that are taking up most of the space? to move them to diskC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-these-files-or-move-them-to-another/2e542a31-e99d-4cac-a7aa-99f739e3336b
  3. can i delete these files or move them to another disk?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    can i delete these files or move them to another disk?: can i delete the 8 files that are taking up most of the space? to move them to diskC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-i-delete-these-files-or-move-them-to-another/2e542a31-e99d-4cac-a7aa-99f739e3336b
  4. can i delete these files or move them to another disk?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't move files, can only copy them

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't move files, can only copy them: So im trying to move a file from my ssd to a hardrive but it will only let me copy it. I need to move the entire folder. How can I do that? submitted by /u/todahmoon18238 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kej9un/cant_move_files_can_only_copy_them/
  6. I cannot move, copy or rename my files. They are video files. I can play them.

I cannot move, copy or rename my files. They are video files. I can play them.: Recently I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I had three disk partitions. C Drive, D Drive and E Drive. Windows is installed in C Drive. After upgrade D Drive became E Drive and E Drive became F Drive. I can't move, copy or rename files and folders in these drives. Also,...
  7. Accidental drag and drop of files to $RECYCLE.BIN - How do I recover them?

Accidental drag and drop of files to $RECYCLE.BIN - How do I recover them?: I'm on 1903 just updated prior to the problem. I have turned on the option to display hidden files and folders. I was dragging a folder to a new location. The drop point was the left hand directory pane near the top. The window scrolled as the folder was dropped and the...
  8. OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy?

OneDrive drag and drop - can default action be changed from Move to Copy?: Hi, I'm using Microsoft OneDrive and finding it great. The only thing that annoys the heck out of me is that the default drag-and-drop action for dragging files to OneDrive is Move, not Copy. Is there any way that changes the default action to Copy?...
  9. Drag and Drop to move files not working

Drag and Drop to move files not working: Hi, I've recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS build 17134.407). I was trying to move a folder to another folder. So I did the following: 1. I dragged the folder to be moved with mouse. 2. Pressed Alt+tab to switch to the target folder. 3. The...
  10. Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them

in Windows 10 Support
    Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them: If the solution above does not fix your problem ... Perhaps your mouse button has become hyper-sensitive. You press and hold the left-button to drag. But the button/switch might be defective. It might double-click without you knowing it! A new mouse might solve the problem.