Windows 10: Drag and Drtop Broken

Discus and support Drag and Drtop Broken in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; About a week or two ago, Windows 10 stopped letting me drag and drop. When I try, I get a red circle with a line through it when i drag a file or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Thomas Burke (Tom), Dec 9, 2018.

1. Drag and Drtop Broken

About a week or two ago, Windows 10 stopped letting me drag and drop. When I try, I get a red circle with a line through it when i drag a file or folder over any drive on my computer. I can cut and paste without any problem, but drag and drop wont work. I have full administrator privileges for all drives and files on my computer. I have rebooted many times over this period and the problem persists. I have tried holding down the escape key as some have suggested and that does not help. I have also restarted explorer through Task Manager and that does not help. I have run Norton, Malwarebytes, and SuperAntiSpyware, and they found no problems. Is there any fix for this? It is really annoying.

:)

Thomas Burke (Tom), Dec 9, 2018
  2. Pipps Win User

Is my graphics card broken?

UPDATE: Please see here.

I have a Sapphire HD 4830.

When I boot into XP all is initially fine and I am able to see the desktop.

However, when I click on the start bar and navigate a few steps, I receive an immediate white screen of death and a total irrecoverable lock-up.

I am confused about what this could mean and I would be grateful for any suggestions on the best course of action to test and repair the problem.

Does this sort of issue suggest that the graphics card is irretrievably broken?

Pipps, Dec 9, 2018
  3. Yolvi Ell Win User
    Dragging apps to desktop for shortcuys

Hi Lance,

It's possible that some settings are preventing you from adding shortcuts to the desktop. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • Does this happen when you try dragging all apps to the desktop, or just a specific app?
    • Are you using an administrator account?
    • Is your computer connected to a private domain?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps as a workaround:

• Right-click on any empty part of the desktop.
    • Click New > Shortcut.
    • Navigate to the folder location of the app you want and select it.
    • Click OK.

We look forward to your response and the result of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Dec 9, 2018
  4. Thanatica Win User

Drag and Drtop Broken

Touchpad: Tap twice to drag

Here's how it works standardly:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger to stop dragging

Here's what I like it to do:

1. Tap twice
    2. Hold down on the second tap
    3. Move around and you're dragging
    4. Release finger
    5. Reposition finger and continue dragging by flicking the touchpad some more
    6. (repeat steps 4 & 5 as many times as desired)
    7. Release finger and perform one addditional tap to stop dragging

That's what it used to be like in the Windows 7 era with most touchpads. Some people found it annoying and disabled it, but I welcomed it.

I know dragging continues when your finger reaches the touchpad edges, but that I find greatly irritating because it looses all sense of precision. This mechanism is stupendously irritating when trying to pixel-precise drag a trackbar, or when doing some
    painting in photoshop on the go. Or just anything that requires precision.

So I'd like to disable "drag continues at touchpad edge" and enable "require additional tap to stop dragging".

So how can I do that?

If not possible, then please consider this a feature request.

Thanatica, Dec 9, 2018
Thema:

Drag and Drtop Broken

1. Drag and Drtop Broken - Similar Threads - Drag Drtop Broken

2. File drag and drop in address bar broken?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File drag and drop in address bar broken?: Yup. I am reposting this because this exact thing just made me think I was going crazy... I noticed I am not the only sane person here who used this feature frequently. Seeing the Microsoft reps response, I felt the need to repost this because the only person who could do...
  3. File drag and drop in address bar broken?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File drag and drop in address bar broken?: Yup. I am reposting this because this exact thing just made me think I was going crazy... I noticed I am not the only sane person here who used this feature frequently. Seeing the Microsoft reps response, I felt the need to repost this because the only person who could do...
  4. Dragging windows across screens is inconstantly broken when dragging windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dragging windows across screens is inconstantly broken when dragging windows: When I try to drag a window across screens with a high DP mouse the window and cursor get stuck on the edge of the screen. It won't let the cursor across into the next screen while dragging the window. With a lower DP mouse it works fine. I have All 6 sub settings under "Snap...
  5. Dragging windows across screens is inconstantly broken when dragging windows

Dragging windows across screens is inconstantly broken when dragging windows: When I try to drag a window across screens with a high DP mouse the window and cursor get stuck on the edge of the screen. It won't let the cursor across into the next screen while dragging the window. With a lower DP mouse it works fine. I have All 6 sub settings under "Snap...
  6. Drag and drop

Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  7. Windows Broken, Apps Disappear When Trying To Drag.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Broken, Apps Disappear When Trying To Drag.: This is a recent problem that didn't come from a Windows Update as far as I can tell so here's what I happens: I open an app, I click on the top bar of it to try and move it around because I have an ultrawide so I have lots of real estate; this causes the app to just...
  8. No click and drag?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No click and drag?: I have an Acer Swift 3 with a touchpad. I used to be able to do a simple click and drag to move windows around, highlight text, etc. I can no longer do this for some reason. Can anyone help? I am not sure if this is some kind of intentional update or if I inadvertently...
  9. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  10. Click and drag

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Click and drag: When dropping text, should text be copied or cut as standard procedure in Windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/click-and-drag/293feea7-b5b6-4403-b49c-7d01c18d8327"