Windows 10: Drag&drop-Extract from 7-Zip FM into Windows Explorer folder disables dragging files in...

Discus and support Drag&drop-Extract from 7-Zip FM into Windows Explorer folder disables dragging files in... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Reproduce I downloaded this latest blender alpha build zip-file https://builder.blender.org/download/ and extracted it's contents to replace update... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by erik_12020025, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Drag&drop-Extract from 7-Zip FM into Windows Explorer folder disables dragging files in...

Reproduce

I downloaded this latest blender alpha build zip-file https://builder.blender.org/download/ and extracted it's contents to replace update my existing application files of same app on my drive.

The zip-file and archived subfolder path taken from 7-Zip File Manager address filed reads like:

"[...]\blender-2.93.0-3fea77ceedcd-windows64.zip\blender-2.93.0-3fea77ceedcd-windows64\"

While extracting the subfolder's contents from the archive sub-folder 7-Zip File Manager directly into the program folder on my D:-drive Windows Explorer folder window to manually / copy-replace-update this portable app:

1. 7-Zip extracts the compressed files showing you it's internal operation with progress bar.
    2. Then Windows says Copying as it counts the files extracted to the temp folder.
    3. Then Windows says Moving from temp folder to destination folder.
    4. Then Replace?-dialogue as Windows has written the data on the destination drive and checks the paths?
    5. You hit Yes Replace.
    6. Overwriting.
    7. Finished. - Now you can once more drag and drop in any of your priorly opened folders explorer / file manager.

1 thru 6 dragging is disabled inactive inside the third unrelated folder windows Windows Explorer where I am trying to sort files.

Selecting files and other operations works. The window is not frozen. No app freezes or crashes. But dragging is disabled in unrelated and priorly opened folders.

Dragging is a functionality in Windows Explorer that doesn't seem to need locking/disabling while 7-Zip and Copying/Moving finishes up especially in unrelated folders / windows?

Happens both with 7-Zip 19.00 2019-02-21 for Windows x64 and 7-Zip 21.00 alpha 2021-01-19 for Windows x64.

I find no settings in either version of the 7-zip File Manager app to mitigate this behavior / bug / limitation.

System temporary drive is C:\ - a SSD.

The blender zip file is in my user Downloads folder on C:\.

The temporary folder path is: "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp\7zE094EE8B8".

Destination folder is directly under the root of D:\ drive - another SSD.

The destination folder files from .zip file are extracted ...moved into is called "blender-2.93.0-...-windows64".

Full path: "D:\blender-2.93.0-...-windows64". <-the ellipsis "..." inside the folder name is as is.

The thing is that when copying contents from folder to folder, no dragging is disabled in any third / unrelated opened folder window; even with a Replace files? prompt. During counting files OK; during prompt OK; when writing replacing OK.

But when the whole operation is initiated from 7-Zip via a drag&drop extract from 7-Zip into Windows File Manager folder window with subsequent replace prompt then the entire way, dragging is disabled of contents in other unrelated and priorly open folder windows thumbnail view.

I have confirmed that during the counting files Copying and the moving replacing sub-operation while 7-Zip still waits for the event that the operation is fully completed? it should be the same type of operation as from Windows Explorer folder to Windows Explorer folder but I think 7-Zip locks or is allowed to lock all opened folder windows because it's the same app/process as its drag&drop target?.

I presume it's not the way 7-Zip is designed but since zip archive functionality is integrated into Windows Explorer, this issue might not happen using native zip extraction, however I'm assuming the locking of dragging is on Windows 10's end?
    Otherwise maybe I can link or copy this post to the 7-Zip feedback forum and you deserve a good snack for reading this all-the-same.

The issue is unique to drag&drop-extracting from 7-Zip into Windows Explorer.

Using the "[-] Extract" toolbar item in 7-Zip does not lock/disable dragging, testing both drives.

File manager window set with Large thumbnails, toolbar pane Home expanded with navigation pane and status bar.

Windows 10 Pro, up-to date. I ran the last Windows Update yesterday Feb 11 2021 and see no update currently.

I realise this is like a smaller product polishing issue and probably a luxurious sort of request.

If it's a bug, I hope I explained the reproduction fully.

Otherwise please excuse the post and thanks for working on Windows.

Thank You.

:)

erik_12020025, Feb 12, 2021
  2. JamesJoey Win User

Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer

I find I'm unable to drag an drop in Explorer.

For instance, when I want to extract a file from a zip file I drag to the folder and drop it but it doesn't get placed in the folder. This occurs with any drag and drop procedure.

I am however able to copy and paste.

James

JamesJoey, Feb 12, 2021
  3. Drag and Drop

Hi Charles,

the steps you suggested didn't work for me but, when pressing the escape key it somehow expanded the drive and by using drag and drop to the single file in the list worked.

In the past I could drag and drop multiple folders onto the drive on the network computer(s). Doing it on individual folders will take far too long and time consuming and is not an option.

Microsoft should be able to identify what is blocking it and issue a fix.

My machine is multi boot so tomorrow I will try with Windows 7.

Many thanks for your help,

Deric

DericStain, Feb 12, 2021
  4. Drag&drop-Extract from 7-Zip FM into Windows Explorer folder disables dragging files in...

Unable to drag and drop files into a zip file

Under File Explorer I cannot drag and drop a file into a pre-created zip file no longer. This feature used to work but now I am unable even to highlight the zip file

pinkstarlight1, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

Drag&drop-Extract from 7-Zip FM into Windows Explorer folder disables dragging files in...

1. Drag&drop-Extract from 7-Zip FM into Windows Explorer folder disables dragging files in... - Similar Threads - Drag&drop Extract Zip

2. Disable Drag & Drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable Drag & Drop: Hi,I want to disable the Drag 'n' Drop feature in Windows Server 2019, which seems the option in gpedit.msc is not available for Win Server 2019Also, I tried the registry option I found on the Internet but not working either, please advise...
  3. Disable Drag & Drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable Drag & Drop: Hi,I want to disable the Drag 'n' Drop feature in Windows Server 2019, which seems the option in gpedit.msc is not available for Win Server 2019Also, I tried the registry option I found on the Internet but not working either, please advise...
  4. Windows 11 - Extracting files from a zipped folder via drag-and-drop forces auto-arrange...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - Extracting files from a zipped folder via drag-and-drop forces auto-arrange...: Since I upgraded to Windows 11, I find that every time I drag a files from a zipped folder to the desktop, the files are not placed where I dragged them to. Instead, they are placed according to auto-arrange behavior, even though I have auto-arrange switched off. This doesn't...
  5. Windows 11 - Extracting files from a zipped folder via drag-and-drop forces auto-arrange...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - Extracting files from a zipped folder via drag-and-drop forces auto-arrange...: Since I upgraded to Windows 11, I find that every time I drag a files from a zipped folder to the desktop, the files are not placed where I dragged them to. Instead, they are placed according to auto-arrange behavior, even though I have auto-arrange switched off. This doesn't...
  6. file explorer drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer drag and drop: After my last update there is no right pane in the file explorer to drag and drop files. Please advise. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-drag-and-drop/f2190733-2938-485c-880e-58d172f73f16
  7. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drag and drop files: i have a touch pad thing and i cant drag and drop files into a diffrent folder how do i do this please help me, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop-files/834e0054-f3ba-477b-839c-d09481300874
  8. Unable to drag and drop files into a zip file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to drag and drop files into a zip file: Under File Explorer I cannot drag and drop a file into a pre-created zip file no longer. This feature used to work but now I am unable even to highlight the zip file...
  9. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and drop files: [img] when dragging files in win 10 the icon is so big that u can not see where u r dragging to. Is there a way to turn this feature off ? IN THE SCREEN CAPTURE WHEN I DRAG A FILE THIS ICON GOES WITH THE DRAGGING FILE AND MAKE IT HARD TO SEE WHERE YOU ARE DROPPING IT....
  10. Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to Drag-And-Drop in Explorer: I find I'm unable to drag an drop in Explorer. For instance, when I want to extract a file from a zip file I drag to the folder and drop it but it doesn't get placed in the folder. This occurs with any drag and drop procedure. I am however able to copy and paste....