Windows 10: Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar

Discus and support Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi, Does anyone have any idea why Microsoft removed the ability to drag and drop onto a program on the Taskbar in Win11? for example, a file onto an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by relambjr, Jan 2, 2022.

1. relambjr Win User

Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar

Hi, Does anyone have any idea why Microsoft removed the ability to drag and drop onto a program on the Taskbar in Win11? for example, a file onto an open email? That's a huge takeaway! Do they have plans to fix the problem?

:)

relambjr, Jan 2, 2022

2. Drag and Drop

Hi Charles,

the steps you suggested didn't work for me but, when pressing the escape key it somehow expanded the drive and by using drag and drop to the single file in the list worked.

In the past I could drag and drop multiple folders onto the drive on the network computer(s). Doing it on individual folders will take far too long and time consuming and is not an option.

Microsoft should be able to identify what is blocking it and issue a fix.

My machine is multi boot so tomorrow I will try with Windows 7.

Many thanks for your help,

Deric

DericStain, Jan 2, 2022
  3. Epoch Win User
    I can't drag 'n drop files into open program taskbar icons anymore.

So, dragging files in the corresponding open program icon in the taskbar, used to bring the program in question in the foreground, where I was able to drop the file inside it and open it (queue mp3 files in music players, open videos on video editing programs etc.)

For some reason that doesn’t happen anymore though, once the file I’m dragging reaches the taskbar, the program comes in foreground but the file vanishes (so I can't drop it in the program), and gets pinned in the taskbar instead. What gives? I mean, I’ve been doing the drag n drop thing at least since Windows 7, and I am sure it used to work without problems on Windows 10 as well (I am on 1909 btw).

Could be a coincidence, but I’ve noticed the described behaviour changing after installing a new Logitech G502 Hero mouse. I’ve tried uninstalling and have Windows reinstall its drivers but it didn’t make a difference. Any ideas what’s happening and how do I get the original (and presumably default?) behaviour back?

Epoch, Jan 2, 2022
  4. ZhuoZhao Win User

drag and drop stops working on taskbar

Hi,

I want to drag a file (regardless of type) into an open explorer window (folder) which has been hidden by other windows, by dragging the file onto the folder on taskbar. Then the window should pop back into view and i can drop it into a location.

Not trying to directly open a file with its associated program.

ZhuoZhao, Jan 2, 2022
Thema:

1. Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar - Similar Threads - Drag drop onto

2. Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag & drop onto a program open in the taskbar: Hi, Does anyone have any idea why Microsoft removed the ability to drag and drop onto a program on the Taskbar in Win11? for example, a file onto an open email? That's a huge takeaway! Do they have plans to fix the problem?...
  3. Restore drag and drop to the Taskbar in Windows 11 with this open-source program

in Windows 10 News
    Restore drag and drop to the Taskbar in Windows 11 with this open-source program: One feature that users found useful in Windows was the ability to drag and drop files onto the taskbar, to open them in the pinned program. For instance, you could drag a text file from Explorer on to the Notepad icon on the taskbar to open it. [ATTACH] Microsoft removed...
  4. Drag and drop

Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  5. Drag and Drop of files onto program icons on desktop not working any more.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Drag and Drop of files onto program icons on desktop not working any more.: Since a while I have a most annoying "effect" or rather bug on one of my Windows 10 systems:When I drag and drop a file onto a program's icon on the Windows desktop, then the file is not opened but only moved.i.e. if I - say - drag a text-file picked from the desktop or any...
  6. I can't drag 'n drop files into open program taskbar icons anymore.

in Windows 10 Support
    I can't drag 'n drop files into open program taskbar icons anymore.: So, dragging files in the corresponding open program icon in the taskbar, used to bring the program in question in the foreground, where I was able to drop the file inside it and open it (queue mp3 files in music players, open videos on video editing programs etc.) For some...
  7. Can't drag and drop into certain programs

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't drag and drop into certain programs: [IMG] I can't drag any files into FL Studio, and it looks like the programs is 'locked' in some way There's this shield on my program icon, and it looks like it's related to the problem, since I've never had this issue, and this shield icon there before. As you can...
  8. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  9. Drag and Drop music files onto MPC

Drag and Drop music files onto MPC: Hi, So I am used to the old feature of Windows XP/Windows 7 etc where you could just drag a music/video file onto the MPC (I use Media Player Classic but this was true for all other players for the most part on those systems) but when I try to drag a file to the player, it...
  10. How to drag and drop programs to desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    How to drag and drop programs to desktop: I'm liking 10 the more I use it. However there are a few problems Microsoft has to deal with. In 7 it was easy to copy a program to the desktop. In 10 I've tried for a few hours and I can't seem to copy a program to desktop. In fact when I find a program I want to save to...