Windows 10: Drag window to maximize/restore size

Discus and support Drag window to maximize/restore size in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; On my win10pro workstation I'm able to drag a window to the top of the screen to maximize it. In the same way, I can drag it down to restore it. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Hiatus, May 7, 2019.

1. Hiatus Win User

Drag window to maximize/restore size

On my win10pro workstation I'm able to drag a window to the top of the screen to maximize it.
    In the same way, I can drag it down to restore it. I really like this feature and it has become my go to way of maximizing/restoring windows.

Now to the problem. This feature is missing on my win10home laptop. I can't remember enabling this on my win10pro workstation and I can't find any settings for it on either machine. Google gave me nothing, but I'm not quite sure how to phrase my search... Non of the result are even close.
    I don't know what the function is called and what words to use to search for it other than "drag window to top of screen to maximize it"...

Is this a win pro feature or am I missing a check mark somewhere?
    Is this related to the "shake the window to clear the desktop"-function (whatever it's called)? That one is missing on my laptop as well...
    That shake one is not that big of a loss, but it bugs me that I can't find the settings (or the words) for it on either system.

I would really appreciate some guidance in this matter.

:)

Hiatus, May 7, 2019

2. in win 10, maximized window won't drag

Mike is right. If the window is maximized the window's window menu will prevent you from moving or resizing it and that has always been the case. Use Alt-Space to see this. Restore, Minimize and Close are your only options in this state. So almost certainly
    you would have been dragging a maximally sized window. In that case everything except Restore would have been available--a sign that the window is in its normal mode.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, May 7, 2019
  3. in win 10, maximized window won't drag

You can do that using the Snap windows feature but check out the window menu when you do that. E.g. press Win+CursorUp ; that snaps the window to Maximized. Press Alt-Space to see that only the menu items I mentioned before for a maximized window are
    available. When you are using the Snap windows feature with your pointer you need to drag it up first and observe the ghost maximized frame before clicking to make it snap to Maximized mode. An analogous procedure is needed when you want to snap a window
    left or right. Then I think the use of the pointer for a half screen may be clearer when snapping a window into a new mode and undoing the snap.

So, to clarify the original discussion, you weren't really dragging a maximized window you were moving your pointer in a way that looked as if you were but in fact were only doing that to change the window's mode and size.

FYI

Robert

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, May 7, 2019
  4. Drag window to maximize/restore size

in win 10, maximized window won't drag

Richard.

You certainly respond with some implied authority. So in your vast and insightful vision of all beings using a computer, I've not clicked the little square icon at the top any window but have always been dragging the corners to make it appear maximized.

Well shucks, I've forgotten this little exercise, which I must have done countless times. Wow!! Scratching my head. EXCUSE ME!

But really, there's some disconnect here. Like I said, I maximize some windows, but did not have to click the double-box icon to reduce the size. All I had to do was drag from the title bar and the window reduced to the previous non-maximized size.

Comon, if you don't want to explain or don't know, just say so.

The Meat

MeatMonger, May 7, 2019
Thema:

Drag window to maximize/restore size

1. Drag window to maximize/restore size - Similar Threads - Drag window maximize

2. Restore window size

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restore window size: I'm running Windows 10 Pro on a Dell laptop. This morning, I had some problems, probably from malware. I managed to get things going again, but now my full screen isn't full screen but only about 3/4 screen. I tried stretching it by bringing up the "stretch arrow" when I...
  3. Cannot drag a maximized window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot drag a maximized window: Hello all, I bought a new mouse, and as soon as I use the new mouse I am unable to pick up a window and drag over to my second screen... it stops at the edge of the screen in the middle when the mouse cursor gets there. I have to pick up the window on the other window with my...
  4. Cannot drag a maximized window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot drag a maximized window: Hello all, I bought a new mouse, and as soon as I use the new mouse I am unable to pick up a window and drag over to my second screen... it stops at the edge of the screen in the middle when the mouse cursor gets there. I have to pick up the window on the other window with my...
  5. Cannot drag a maximized window

6. Dragging a window maximizes it

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dragging a window maximizes it: I’m having an issue using windows 10 where when I try and drag a window it automatically maximizes with a green number 1. I’ve found threads with same issue and tried disabling the “prevent windows” option in ease of access but I want the sizing hot keys and options. Is there...
  7. Dragging maximized window to lower monitor loses maxmization

in Windows 10 Support
    Dragging maximized window to lower monitor loses maxmization: My two monitors are mounted vertically, A on the top, B on the bottom. When I drag a maximized window from B to A, it auto-maximizes on A if I release the drag right at the top of the monitor due to SNAP's "arrange windows automatically when dragged to top of screen". But...
  8. windows won't maximize or restore

windows won't maximize or restore: All of a sudden, windows that i "minimize" won't maximize! I've tried all the key stroke combos shift/Ctrl/alt/Windows. none work. any surefire suggestions?...
  9. Would like to reconfigure window dragging to drag when maximized.

in Windows 10 Support
    Would like to reconfigure window dragging to drag when maximized.: Hello folks. I have a new install of W10 and would like to set up the window dragging to drag when the window is maximized. It was the default setting on W7 but not W10. In W7, not only could I drag the window while it was maximized, if I just grabbed the title bar and moved...
  10. Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10: How to: Enable or Disable Maximized Window Dragging in Windows 10 How to Enable or Disable Dragging Maximized Windows in Windows 10 [img] Information By default, you can drag a maximized window from its title bar to restore down or move to another display. This...