Windows 10: Dragging a file keeps copying it and won't let me drag

Discus and support Dragging a file keeps copying it and won't let me drag in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was trying to do a return for health insurance but whenever I tried to drag a receipt from Word onto the health insurance website, it just kept... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ruth_977, May 8, 2020.

1. Ruth_977 Win User

Dragging a file keeps copying it and won't let me drag

I was trying to do a return for health insurance but whenever I tried to drag a receipt from Word onto the health insurance website, it just kept copying it and wouldn't drag. Can anyone help please? I tried Googling it and tried many suggestions but nothing worked. I have Windows 10.

:)

Ruth_977, May 8, 2020

2. Ways to Drag Files or Folders

Summary:

This article covers ways to drag files or folders while working on File Explorer.

Here's a list of ways to copy, move, or create shortcuts:

CTRL while dragging a file - Copy a file to another drive or folder. *

SHIFT while dragging a file - Move a file to another drive. **

ALT while dragging a file - Create a shortcut to a file on the desktop or another location.

*: You can also drag a file or folder to another drive, which means copying.

**: If moving a file or folder to another folder on the same drive, you don't need to hold SHIFT while dragging a file or folder.

TIP: If you use your right mouse button to drag a file or folder to another folder or desktop and release it, you will get three options: Copy Here, Move Here, and Create Shortcut(s) Here.

PilotRain942054, May 8, 2020
  3. Drag and Drop

Hi Charles,

the steps you suggested didn't work for me but, when pressing the escape key it somehow expanded the drive and by using drag and drop to the single file in the list worked.

In the past I could drag and drop multiple folders onto the drive on the network computer(s). Doing it on individual folders will take far too long and time consuming and is not an option.

Microsoft should be able to identify what is blocking it and issue a fix.

My machine is multi boot so tomorrow I will try with Windows 7.

Many thanks for your help,

Deric

DericStain, May 8, 2020
  4. Dragging a file keeps copying it and won't let me drag

Click and Drag moves file instead of Copying...

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, I understand that you want the file to be copied, when you click and drag a file.

The default option when you click and drag a file is “move”, unless the destination is external storage (like pen drive, external hard disk etc.,) in this case the file will be copied, please be informed that this option cannot be changed.

If you are dragging the files from one folder to another which is in same location it will move by default. To copy the files you need to press
    Ctrl key on the keyboard.

When you drag a file or folder, exactly what happens depends upon what you drag and where you drag it. Pop-up windows containing information appear when you drag a file over a destination—pay attention to these to find out what will happen when you
    release the mouse button.

Note: If you press and hold the right mouse button while dragging, a menu appears that lets you choose a specific action, such as copying or moving.

Reference: Moving and copying files by using the drag-and-drop method:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Move-and-copy-files-using-drag-and-drop

Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepak Kodi, May 8, 2020
Thema:

Dragging a file keeps copying it and won't let me drag

1. Dragging a file keeps copying it and won't let me drag - Similar Threads - Dragging file keeps

2. Not being able to drag and copy files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not being able to drag and copy files: Why can't I drag or copy files into device Manager https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-being-able-to-drag-and-copy-files/1f951a24-d7d4-4df3-8c96-81a629d14da3
  3. Not being able to drag and copy files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not being able to drag and copy files: Why can't I drag or copy files into device Manager https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-being-able-to-drag-and-copy-files/1f951a24-d7d4-4df3-8c96-81a629d14da3
  4. Not being able to drag and copy files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows Wont Let Me Drag And Drop My Music Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Wont Let Me Drag And Drop My Music Files: Im trying to drag and drop two .mp3 files so i can play music in GTAV. I changed permissions to the main account, and everyone. still says that i need access to the User Music Folder...
  6. Windows Wont Let Me Drag And Drop My Music Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Wont Let Me Drag And Drop My Music Files: Im trying to drag and drop two .mp3 files so i can play music in GTAV. I changed permissions to the main account, and everyone. still says that i need access to the User Music Folder...
  7. Copy/Paste and drag not working.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Copy/Paste and drag not working.: I have looked at pretty much everything that I could have done and I have done it. These are most of the things I have tried without success: Restart explorer.exe Run: cmd /c"echo offclip taskkill.exe /F /IM rdpclip.exe --> returns not found error taskkill.exe /F /IM...
  8. Can't right click and drag or copy files

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't right click and drag or copy files: I recently lost the ability to right click and copy files to a separate folder or the desktop. I have tried several of the fixes posted online but with no luck....
  9. My mousepad wont let me click and drag anything

in Windows 10 Customization
    My mousepad wont let me click and drag anything: Hi! I'm having a problem with my device. I cant click and drag anything using my mouse pad. I can click using the left mousepad button but I cant click with the right mousepad button and I cant click and drag using either of them. I've tried to look up possible solutions...
  10. Drag and drop files

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and drop files: [img] when dragging files in win 10 the icon is so big that u can not see where u r dragging to. Is there a way to turn this feature off ? IN THE SCREEN CAPTURE WHEN I DRAG A FILE THIS ICON GOES WITH THE DRAGGING FILE AND MAKE IT HARD TO SEE WHERE YOU ARE DROPPING IT....