Windows 10: Dragging file with left mouse=Only copy? with right mouse=impossible?

Discus and support Dragging file with left mouse=Only copy? with right mouse=impossible? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I drag in File Explorer a file with pressed left mouse button from one directory to another directory (on the same partition) then only a "Copy"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tobwen, May 26, 2021.

1. tobwen Win User

Dragging file with left mouse=Only copy? with right mouse=impossible?

When I drag in File Explorer a file with pressed left mouse button from one directory to another directory (on the same partition) then only a "Copy" operation is performed. How can I tell Win10 to perform in such a case (always automatically) a "Move" operation? Related other question: When I try to drag a file with pressed (this time) right mouse button to another directory a context menu offers me some possible operations. This is normal. When I drag now the same file to a shared folder (from another computer in LAN) then this is impossible. I little red "not possible" icon appears. It cannot be a permission problem. If I mark the file in File Explorer, right click, select "Copy" (or move) from context menu then select shared folder, right click and select "Paste" it works. So I am allowed to copy+paste into the target remote shared folder. But dragging is not possible. Why?

:)

tobwen, May 26, 2021

2. Drag and Drop

When using "Drag and Drop":
    • "Alt + left mouse button" to create a Link/Shortcut
    • "Ctrl + left mouse button" to Copy the file
    • "Shift + left mouse button" to Move the file

lehnerus2000, May 26, 2021
  3. mouse is not working right

unfortunately there isn't a lot to a usb mouse. what i would suggest is checking the power management settings on it.

Right-click the start menu and choose device manager
    Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers at the very bottom
    Double-click on each HUB you have listed, click Power Management Tab at the top, and UNCHECK "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power"
    You may have HUBs called Generic and Root Hub. Perform the step above on All of them.

If you continue to have the issue, i would imagine your mouse is malfunctioning. Perhaps try another mouse just to be sure. This will help you determine if it is in fact the mouse of computer causing the issue.

Good Luck!!

samsonbiatch, May 26, 2021
  4. Dragging file with left mouse=Only copy? with right mouse=impossible?

Left handed mouse when docked and right handed touchpad when undocked

Hi,

I realize that you want the left handed mouse when docked and right handed touchpad when undocked. I will try to help you with this issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?
    You can configure the mouse settings for left hand and set the touchpad for normal use.

Follow these steps to configure the mouse settings:

• Press Windows key + I to get the Settings screen.

• Click on Devices and then click on Mouse and Touchpad.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, May 26, 2021
Thema:

Dragging file with left mouse=Only copy? with right mouse=impossible?

1. Dragging file with left mouse=Only copy? with right mouse=impossible? - Similar Threads - Dragging file left

2. Mouse move unequal right to left

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Mouse move unequal right to left: hello, For some time now, I have observed that my mouse does not go through the same distance from left to right. one could say that the speed cdovered is inegal on both sides causing a very strange imbalance.And that there is a discrepancy of speed on this axis that I...
  3. Explorer impossible to copy a group of file with right button of mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer impossible to copy a group of file with right button of mouse: Hello,This issue occurred 2 days ago. When i select a set of files with Shift or Ctrl and after i click on the right mouse button, the context menu Copy, Cut, .... does not appears but explorer stop. I am a professional in data computing IBM and i tried many things to fix : i...
  4. Explorer impossible to copy a group of file with right button of mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer impossible to copy a group of file with right button of mouse: Hello,This issue occurred 2 days ago. When i select a set of files with Shift or Ctrl and after i click on the right mouse button, the context menu Copy, Cut, .... does not appears but explorer stop. I am a professional in data computing IBM and i tried many things to fix : i...
  5. Left hand mouse together with right hand mouse?

Left hand mouse together with right hand mouse?: Hi, I am using 2 pcs of "standard right handed" mouse. One in right hand, second in left hand. Both as primary button "left".Now I have bought "left handed vertical mouse". I want to have there primary button left one, as I had until now. But when I switch it in Windows, the...
  6. Left hand mouse together with right hand mouse?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Left hand mouse together with right hand mouse?: Hi, I am using 2 pcs of "standard right handed" mouse. One in right hand, second in left hand. Both as primary button "left".Now I have bought "left handed vertical mouse". I want to have there primary button left one, as I had until now. But when I switch it in Windows, the...
  7. Left hand mouse together with right hand mouse?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Mouse cursor moving wrong direction only left right

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse cursor moving wrong direction only left right: So, I've been having this problem for a few months, and I honestly think it's time for a new mouse, but I figured I'd ask around first.So randomly every now and then, my cursor will start moving in the wrong direction, specifically I move left, and it moves right. When I move...
  9. Mouse cursor moving wrong direction only left right

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse cursor moving wrong direction only left right: So, I've been having this problem for a few months, and I honestly think it's time for a new mouse, but I figured I'd ask around first.So randomly every now and then, my cursor will start moving in the wrong direction, specifically I move left, and it moves right. When I move...
  10. Mouse cursor moving wrong direction only left right