Windows 10: Dragging files to desktop

Discus and support Dragging files to desktop in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I recently did a clean install of Windows 10. I'm using three monitors and before I did this clean install, I could keep my browser window open on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by recker89, Jan 26, 2021.

1. recker89 Win User

Dragging files to desktop

I recently did a clean install of Windows 10. I'm using three monitors and before I did this clean install, I could keep my browser window open on the middle monitor, drag a file or picture to the desktop on the right monitor, and it'd place the file where I wanted wherever I'd let go of mouse click. Now if I try to do this, no matter where I try to drop the file it always automatically moves it to the very first slot on the middle monitor's desktop. I already have auto arrange unchecked, so I know that's not the issue, and furthermore I can then move this file to where I want it after the fact aka two steps - move file from browser to desktop, then I go to the desktop and drag it, but it is annoying because the whole point for me is to make use of my multiple monitors, using one with a window open and keeping another one without anything so I can drag files to that desktop. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm stumped.

:)

recker89, Jan 26, 2021
  2. Yolvi Ell Win User

Dragging apps to desktop for shortcuys

Hi Lance,

It's possible that some settings are preventing you from adding shortcuts to the desktop. We'd like to learn more about your concern so that we could provide the proper resolution. We just have a few questions for you:

• Which build version of Windows 10 is on your computer? To check, click
      Start
      , type winver, and press Enter. For example, 14393.1066.
    • Does this happen when you try dragging all apps to the desktop, or just a specific app?
    • Are you using an administrator account?
    • Is your computer connected to a private domain?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

As an initial recommendation, we suggest following these steps as a workaround:

• Right-click on any empty part of the desktop.
    • Click New > Shortcut.
    • Navigate to the folder location of the app you want and select it.
    • Click OK.

We look forward to your response and the result of the initial troubleshooting.

Yolvi Ell, Jan 26, 2021
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jan 26, 2021
  4. Dragging files to desktop

Burning Files To cdr

I tried to drag a .txt file to the burn list, as suggested above, but it will not drop in. I get a message "+add to burn list" but I cannot get it to drop into the burn list. Is there another step I am missing?

CathleenBaker, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

Dragging files to desktop

1. Dragging files to desktop - Similar Threads - Dragging files desktop

2. Drag & Drop Files between virtual desktops?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drag & Drop Files between virtual desktops?: How to drag & drop files between virtual desktops? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-drop-files-between-virtual-desktops/d2d27ef0-a5c8-48b6-af69-4fe9f5041266
  3. Drag & Drop Files between virtual desktops?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag & Drop Files between virtual desktops?: How to drag & drop files between virtual desktops? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-drop-files-between-virtual-desktops/d2d27ef0-a5c8-48b6-af69-4fe9f5041266
  4. Drag & Drop Files between virtual desktops?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Right click drag to the desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right click drag to the desktop: Can I change the right click file drag menu default option to be create a shortcut rather than move file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/right-click-drag-to-the-desktop/530cde6a-c591-4bcf-8c46-da03916f82ec
  6. Desktop Icon Dragging Lags

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icon Dragging Lags: I'm using a brand new work machine with Windows 10 and experiencing a weird bug. When I attempt to drag a desktop icon from one place to another, there's a 1-2 second lag before the move actually occurs. During this time, a slightly transparent "ghost" of the icon will remain...
  7. Files stay on desktop after deleted and/or dragged to trash

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files stay on desktop after deleted and/or dragged to trash: All of a sudden when I create a file on my desktop or I download or copy a file to my desktop and then later decide to delete it, the icon and the file stays on my desktop i.e., I can still open it without having to restore from trash and I can't delete it. The files will...
  8. dragging files from folder to desktop does not works

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    dragging files from folder to desktop does not works: Hi i am a win10 user and i'd like to tell you my problem. When i open a folder and try to drag my file from folder for example jpg png or txt to move it to my desktop, it doesnt works, i cant get it out, is there any solving methods for this ?...
  9. Desktop drag lag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Desktop drag lag: Whenever I drag an icon/shortcut on my pc it take a second to move it and is laggy. It’s also pretty laggy when I drag the blue box thingy to select multiple icons. Even just hovering the mouse over icons it takes awhile to register. And this is on a decent gaming pc and my...
  10. icons on desktop will not drag

in Windows 10 Support
    icons on desktop will not drag: Win 10, 64 bit, recent upgrade from Win 7. Beginning this afternoon, all of a sudden, the icons on the desktop will not drag, they are fixed in place. I can delete them, open them, move them via right-click and 'copy to' or 'move to'. They simply will not move. I've...