Windows 10: Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them

Discus and support Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If the solution above does not fix your problem ... Perhaps your mouse button has become hyper-sensitive. You press and hold the left-button to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by margrave55, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them

If the solution above does not fix your problem ...

Perhaps your mouse button has become hyper-sensitive.
    You press and hold the left-button to drag. But the button/switch might be defective. It might double-click without you knowing it!
    A new mouse might solve the problem.

margrave55, Apr 4, 2018
  2. Newmaven Win User

When I try to drag icons and folders to new places on my desktop, they open instead of budging. How do I slow down the opening process so I can drag and drop them?

:)

Newmaven, Apr 7, 2018
  3. Win10SOS Win User
    Windows 10 - Change File Explorer default move/copy option

Windows 10 - For fast file copy, I like to open two File Explorer windows, then drag and drop. Previous versions of Windows had a option whether the drag and drop would move or copy. Win10 defaults to move. How do I change it to do a copy instead?

Win10SOS, Apr 7, 2018
  4. Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them

Notepad - Cant drag and drop to open txt

What is the location of these files that don't open? Can you open and save them successfully in Notepad if you use File > Open instead of drag-and-drop?

RobertJWin, Apr 7, 2018
  5. topgundcp Win User
    • Start->Control->Mouse and adjust the double click speed.

Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them [​IMG]
    • If still does not work then the left Micro Switch in the mouse is stuck. Try another Mouse.

topgundcp, Apr 8, 2018
  6. spunk Win User
    You can also hold down the right click button when you move a file, when you let go, it will ask Move Here?

spunk, Apr 8, 2018
  7. Newmaven Win User
    Should I make the double-click speed faster, or slower?

Tried the right-click trick and it works, though it's a hair more cumbersome.

Newmaven, Apr 8, 2018
  8. Bree New Member

Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them

Making it slower should help.

You could also try turning on ClickLock in the same settings page. A short hold after clicking will lock the window, icon or folder to the pointer and allow you to drag it without holding the button. Another click will unlock and leave it where you placed it.

Bree, Apr 8, 2018
Thema:

Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them

1. Dragging icons opens the files instead of moving them - Similar Threads - Dragging icons opens

2. File missing after dragging them out of the onedrive file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File missing after dragging them out of the onedrive file: I recently turned off onedrive and kept all my files locally, I saw that all my desktop files where stored on my desktop and in a folder called desktop in folder called onedrive kept in my user directory same for the image folder. I thought those were old copy since onedrive...
  3. drag file to icon in taskbar

in Windows 10 Gaming
    drag file to icon in taskbar: Hi Trying to add a file to an email. usually with windows 10 you drag and hover over the Outlook icon in the taskbar then it opens and you drop it in the email. Now when you drag it to the outlook icon nothing happens???!?? Please do not tell me this does not exist in Windows...
  4. drag file to icon in taskbar

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    drag file to icon in taskbar: Hi Trying to add a file to an email. usually with windows 10 you drag and hover over the Outlook icon in the taskbar then it opens and you drop it in the email. Now when you drag it to the outlook icon nothing happens???!?? Please do not tell me this does not exist in Windows...
  5. Mouse clicks to move files in File Explorer open files instead

in Windows 10 Support
    Mouse clicks to move files in File Explorer open files instead: I tried searching for this issue but didn't see anything related in the first three pages of search results. This started about 10 days ago. When selecting files in File Explorer with my mouse, the files open as I try to drag them them to other folders. Very frustrating. I...
  6. Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drag and dropping files copies them instead of moving them. How can I change this?: I don't want to have to hold a button each time I do it. It's difficult to remember and I just want to move things, not create new copies of them. submitted by /u/Zoofyooo [link] [comments]...
  7. Make Microsoft Edge download PDF files instead of opening them

in Windows 10 News
    Make Microsoft Edge download PDF files instead of opening them: [ATTACH]Windows 10 almost forces users to use Microsoft Edge as the default application for […] This article Make Microsoft Edge download PDF files instead of opening them first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  8. drag and move

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    drag and move: This is my first computer using windows 10, I am unable to drag or move anything, can anyone please help me I have tried everything I know I must be doing something wrong. I am not use to using the padI have always used a regular mouse....
  9. open files instead of always saving them

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    open files instead of always saving them: I still haven't mastered the concept of just being able to open a file without saving it. I end up deleting tons of useless data, and it gets annoying. Can anyone offer me a solution?...
  10. Drag and Drop to move files not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drag and Drop to move files not working: Hi, I've recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Version 1803 (OS build 17134.407). I was trying to move a folder to another folder. So I did the following: 1. I dragged the folder to be moved with mouse. 2. Pressed Alt+tab to switch to the target folder. 3. The...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win 10 when i click and drag a file instead of dragging the file opens instead

2. when dragging emails it opens instead of dragging