Windows 10: Drive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update

Discus and support Drive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey, my drive letter swapped after automatic update in Windows 10. Because of that, i can't boot into windows safe mode too. Everytime I turn on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Muhamad Nur Azmi Wahyudi, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Drive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update

Hey, my drive letter swapped after automatic update in Windows 10. Because of that, i can't boot into windows safe mode too. Everytime I turn on my laptop, it's always tries to troubleshoot and do startup repair but it didn't work. I've tried to change back the drive letter via advanced recovery option > command prompt but it also don't work the drive letter change back after restart

:)

Muhamad Nur Azmi Wahyudi, Dec 28, 2019

2. Swapping drive letters, including boot volume

I have a new computer. I want to clone the system to a new SSD. Can I change the drive letter of the SSD to C: after cloning?

I have a new ASUS M52BC with:

• 1 TB hard drive with a Windows (CDrive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update :) and empty data (DDrive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update :) partition
    • Windows 8.1 (I will upgrade to Windows 10 very soon) on the hard drive
    • Samsung SSD 850 EVO (physically installed but nothing more done to it)
    What I want to get to is:

• 1 TB hard drive with the data (DDrive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update :) partition and (for the old Windows partition) the drive letter of the C: changed to something else
    • Windows 10 on the SSD as the C:
    I don't intend to boot to Windows on the hard drive after I get Windows working on the SSD unless I need to remove the SSD for return to ASUS for repair. (My new computer had a bad motherboard when I received it but I hope I do not need to return it again.)

I want to clone Windows to the SSD using the Samsung Data Migration tool. During the clone, the SSD will of course not have the drive letter "C". To boot from and use the SSD after the cloning, it must have the drive letter "C", correct? I assume the Data
    Migration tool cannot change the drive letter used by the software it clones.

After the clone, how do I swap the drive letters? I assume I cannot change the drive letter of the hard drive Windows partition when it was used to boot from because it would be the boot drive, correct?

I know that some people will suggest that I do a fresh install. I want to avoid doing that if possible.

I see
    Migrate system partition to a new disk
    . I think that describes doing what I am trying to do, but unfortunately he does not know how he did it.

Simple Samples, Dec 28, 2019
  3. cereberus Win User
    Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

You could create a batch file with diskpart that remove the drive letter and reassigns the one you want.
    The drive number n should be last on list.

Initially

diskpart
    list disk (to identify disk number)

Batch file e.g. letter.bat contains one line

diskpart /s letter.txt

and letter.txt contains

select disk n (n from above)
    remove
    assign letter= J (or whatever you want)
    exit

and each time you swap drive, just run letter.bat.

cereberus, Dec 28, 2019
  4. Drive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update

Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

I have two SATA hot-swap drives that I alternate between each day for backups. When using Windows 7 I was able to assign the disks to g: and then after the initial assignment, windows would remember this and assign it to g: on each subsequent use.

But with Windows 10 it seems to forget the assignment after a reboot, and assigns d: (the first free letter) instead. (Quite possibly this isn't actually related to a difference between Win 7 / 10 though - when using Win 7 I had a drives on d:, e:, f:, and so g: was the first available letter. On Win 10 I no longer have the d: and f: drives attached, and so d: is now the first available letter.)

To be clear:
    • The hot swap disks are not permanently attached
    • Only one hot swap disk is ever attached at a time
    • Both hot swap disks have been assigned to g: (but this isn't sticking)

Anyone have any ideas?

djeyewater, Dec 28, 2019
Thema:

Drive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update

1. Drive C and D Letter Swapped After Windows Update - Similar Threads - Drive Letter Swapped

2. Swapping C and D drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swapping C and D drives: Hello, I know there are lots of topics about changing C and D drive but none seem to be the exact issue I am having. I just got a new laptop for work and I have two SSDs. C drive is 2 TB and the D drive is 1TB. I work within dropbox with very large project files and...
  3. Swapping C and D drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swapping C and D drives: Hello, I know there are lots of topics about changing C and D drive but none seem to be the exact issue I am having. I just got a new laptop for work and I have two SSDs. C drive is 2 TB and the D drive is 1TB. I work within dropbox with very large project files and...
  4. Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD: I had some issues with updating Windows: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-failed/85b5827f-2b4c-4d8d-b647-6cd19bdb0e49I followed the steps but I noticed that Windows 11 was working really slowly. I looked on Task Manger and it looks like my...
  5. Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Swap C & D Drive back to SSD & HHD: I had some issues with updating Windows: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-update-failed/85b5827f-2b4c-4d8d-b647-6cd19bdb0e49I followed the steps but I noticed that Windows 11 was working really slowly. I looked on Task Manger and it looks like my...
  6. C: Windows Drive and D: swapped, Windows confused and can’t boot

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    C: Windows Drive and D: swapped, Windows confused and can’t boot: Hello. My C: drive which has my Windows files and my local drive D: swapped labels. I tried changing it in Regedit using Microsoft’s guide, but no luck. Reassigning letters in DISKPART doesn’t do anything, either. In BIOS, no boot devices are shown. After installing a...
  7. C: Windows drive and D: swapped. Windows can’t boot

C: Windows drive and D: swapped. Windows can’t boot: Hello. My C: drive which has my Windows files and my local drive D: swapped labels. I tried changing it in Regedit using Microsoft’s guide, but no luck. Reassigning letters in DISKPART doesn’t do anything, either. In BIOS, no boot devices are shown. After installing a...
  8. C: Windows drive and D: swapped and Windows can’t boot

C: Windows drive and D: swapped and Windows can’t boot: Hello. My C: drive which has my Windows files and my local drive D: swapped labels. I tried changing it in Regedit using Microsoft’s guide, but no luck. Reassigning letters in DISKPART doesn’t do anything, either. In BIOS, no boot devices are shown. After installing a...
  9. My Drives Swapped letters. C drive which is boot drive is now D and D drive which contains...

My Drives Swapped letters. C drive which is boot drive is now D and D drive which contains...: Hi, after using my laptop a few days ago, I decided to reboot and windows couldn't boot. After trying every possible fix without success, I had to reinstall windows via a USB stick. I took a photo of my volumes after reinstalling windows. Everything was ok. [ATTACH]...
  10. Drives letters getting swapped

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drives letters getting swapped: Hello, I've noticed on during my last restoring of my system and reloading of W10 Pro, that after I reattach the 2nd, third drive and the DVD, they got swapped in the system. Could it be the bios on an old Gigabyte motherboard or the OS. I guess I can use disk manager to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my c and d drives swapped

2. after updating to windows 10 Drive Letter exchanged how to fix

3. bsod drive letters switched

4. windows 10 drive letters swapped,
  5. c and d drives swapped,
  6. my c and drive swapped wont boot