Windows 10: Drive D locked on read only

Discus and support Drive D locked on read only in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; All folders on drive D are set to read only and I can't change it. Even with admin priv in command prompt it wont delete. I've set full access for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnShelley2, May 17, 2020.

1. Drive D locked on read only

All folders on drive D are set to read only and I can't change it. Even with admin priv in command prompt it wont delete. I've set full access for everyone in security. Even if I make a new folder in drive D, I immediately can't delete it. Files seem ok though. How can I get rid of read only?

:)

JohnShelley2, May 17, 2020

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, May 17, 2020
  3. little cat, May 17, 2020
  4. Drive D locked on read only

Cannot access D drive since upgrading to Windows 10.

Hello Judy,

Thank you for replying quickly with the status of the issue.

Please reply to few more questions:

• Is the D: drive located on the same hard disk or on different hard disk?

• Did you have any important data saved on the
      D:
      drive?

If the D: is saved on another hard disk and you are unable to access it, I suggest you to format the drive completely and check if the issue is resolved.

To format the hard disk, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows logo + X keys on the keyboard and select
      Disk management option.

• Right click on the D: drive and select
      Format option.

• Wait for the formatting to complete and check if the changes are effective.

Write to us with the status of the issue for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, May 17, 2020
Thema:

Drive D locked on read only

1. Drive D locked on read only - Similar Threads - Drive locked read

2. Windows explorer incorrectly showing D drive as read only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows explorer incorrectly showing D drive as read only: As the question states, the windows explorer on my Windows 11 system is incorrectly displaying my D drive as read only. However, when viewing the drive and its single partition in diskpart, it is shown as online, and not read only.I am still able to write, modify and delete...
  3. Windows explorer incorrectly showing D drive as read only

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows explorer incorrectly showing D drive as read only: As the question states, the windows explorer on my Windows 11 system is incorrectly displaying my D drive as read only. However, when viewing the drive and its single partition in diskpart, it is shown as online, and not read only.I am still able to write, modify and delete...
  4. My main documents D:\ drive constantly reverts back to "Read Only"

My main documents D:\ drive constantly reverts back to "Read Only": Not sure why this is, my drive with my document folders keeps reverting back to "Read Only" which results in many of my apps not able to function correctly, as they cannot access scratch disks Adobe, temporary files, or write files to the drive. I have no idea why Windows...
  5. Read only Excel files on D drive Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read only Excel files on D drive Windows 10: As far as I know, without my intervention some of my excel files on D drive have become read only, I can edit but cannot save on D drive. but can save to another location eg C drive. The check box in properties is unchecked so why are the files read only.How can I return...
  6. Read only Excel files on D drive Windows 10

Read only Excel files on D drive Windows 10: As far as I know, without my intervention some of my excel files on D drive have become read only, I can edit but cannot save on D drive. but can save to another location eg C drive. The check box in properties is unchecked so why are the files read only.How can I return...
  7. Read only Excel files on D drive Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. New laptop, D drive is read only, beyond frustrated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New laptop, D drive is read only, beyond frustrated: My new laptop has a 256 ssd C drive and 1TB hdd D drive. Whenever I try to save larger apps to D drive I am told the drive is read only. I have scoured the internet for days and nothing is working. I can not for the life of me make my D drive writable. It's probably...
  9. Locked D drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Locked D drive: Alright. Here's the problem ladies and gentlemen: -My computer crashed and I did a full restore. During the full restore, windows failed to load. -During the process, I accidentally wiped my back up from the command prompt (which I'm doing a recovery on right now) -After...
  10. Drives Marked Read Only

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drives Marked Read Only: I have several hard drives on my PCs; some are physical, some are partitions. In every PC I've upgraded, W10 marks these as RO. I go through the ritual of setting permissions to Full and marking RW, but occasionally a drive will revert to RO. I can't find a Take Ownership...