Windows 10: Drive error restart

Discus and support Drive error restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I don't get this. No matter how many times I restart this continues to happen. It is driving me nuts! Any solutions?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JasonP4, Aug 14, 2019.

1. JasonP4 Win User

Drive error restart

I don't get this. No matter how many times I restart this continues to happen. It is driving me nuts! Any solutions?

:)

JasonP4, Aug 14, 2019
  2. little cat, Aug 14, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Aug 14, 2019
  4. jimhoyle Win User

Drive error restart

How to troubleshoot an error that appears only at Restart or Sign out?

I get an error pop-up error message not every, but almost every time I Restart or Sign out. It's the screen with blue background and on top of Restart or Sign out text an error window says:

Explorer.exe - Application error. The instruction at 0x000… referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be written.

Sometimes the error code is just zeros, sometimes random numbers. I have tried so much already to troubleshoot this. For example these did not help in any way:
    • MemTest86+ (no problems)
    • Disabling any Services, Autoruns/ShellExView entries
    • Low resolution mode
    • BIOS settings are fine, no overclocking etc.
    • DISM.exe and sfc
    • etc.

However, these do make the error go away:
    • End process for explorer.exe before Restart or Sign out
    • Safe Mode
    • Creating a new user profile (almost the same as clean installing Windows, many full days of work)
    • Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics driver (then the card is unusable, of course)
    • Disabling Device Manager / Display Adapters / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I already contacted NVIDIA and the graphics driver is not the culprit. Something has gone wrong with the user profile as the same driver works just fine in a new profile (and there's nothing wrong with the driver anyway, it's just the Restart or Sign out process that has a problem).

What can I do to fix this? One useful thing would be to have a step-by-step procedure for the Sign out. So that it'd ask before continuing to the next step and list what it's doing. Or if I could just disable whatever it does when the error appears.

jimhoyle, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

Drive error restart

1. Drive error restart - Similar Threads - Drive error restart

2. blue screen errors and "restart to repair drive errors"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    blue screen errors and "restart to repair drive errors": Reposting to hopefully get a faster reply:Hi,I keep getting a random blue screen error on my PC. Every time I enter my desktop I get a notification saying "restart to repair drive errors" and when I press it, my computer restarts and the message comes up again every time and...
  3. blue screen errors and "restart to repair drive errors"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    blue screen errors and "restart to repair drive errors": Reposting to hopefully get a faster reply:Hi,I keep getting a random blue screen error on my PC. Every time I enter my desktop I get a notification saying "restart to repair drive errors" and when I press it, my computer restarts and the message comes up again every time and...
  4. Restart to repair drive errors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Restart to repair drive errors: Hello, about a week ago when I started my PC Windows 10 it said that my C: drive was being repaired and when my PC had started it said there was errors with a drive and that I had to restart my PC. I restarted my PC but the message about an error with a drive kept popping up...
  5. Restart to repair drive errors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Restart to repair drive errors: Hello, about a week ago when I started my PC Windows 10 it said that my C: drive was being repaired and when my PC had started it said there was errors with a drive and that I had to restart my PC. I restarted my PC but the message about an error with a drive kept popping up...
  6. Restart to repair drive errors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Restart To Repair Drive errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart To Repair Drive errors: So i started getting this message abt 3-4 days back. It is detecting some problem with my C: Drive and it tells me to restart I have currently tried every fix possible DISM, CHKDSK, SFC /SCANNOW, RESTARTING, RUNNING VIRUS CHECK but none of them seem to work. How do i fix...
  8. Disk "Restart Needed" Restart drive to repair errors.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk "Restart Needed" Restart drive to repair errors.: I have disk checked, i have restarted my computer a billion times, each time it was "repairing drive" but i still get that message! I have tried a lot of things but in the control panel in security and maintenance in the tab maintenance at the drive status it says "restart...
  9. Restart to Repair Drive Errors

Restart to Repair Drive Errors: I have a 7 year old win10 Dell 660 computer with initially a 2TB HD that was split into C and D. When I started up the computer it has been delayed and noted errors were found on D drive and asked if I wanted to fix it. When I say yes it would attempt to fix it and then...
  10. "Restart to repair drive errors" - Which Drive?

"Restart to repair drive errors" - Which Drive?: I recently received this notification. I would like to know which drive it was that had errors on it. I have 5 different Hard Drives connected to my PC. Is there any way to view more details on this error?...