Windows 10: Drive error restart

Discus and support Drive error restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I don't get this. No matter how many times I restart this continues to happen. It is driving me nuts! Any solutions?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JasonP4, Aug 14, 2019.

1. JasonP4 Win User

Drive error restart

I don't get this. No matter how many times I restart this continues to happen. It is driving me nuts! Any solutions?

:)

JasonP4, Aug 14, 2019
  2. little cat, Aug 14, 2019
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Aug 14, 2019
  4. jimhoyle Win User

Drive error restart

How to troubleshoot an error that appears only at Restart or Sign out?

I get an error pop-up error message not every, but almost every time I Restart or Sign out. It's the screen with blue background and on top of Restart or Sign out text an error window says:

Explorer.exe - Application error. The instruction at 0x000… referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be written.

Sometimes the error code is just zeros, sometimes random numbers. I have tried so much already to troubleshoot this. For example these did not help in any way:
    • MemTest86+ (no problems)
    • Disabling any Services, Autoruns/ShellExView entries
    • Low resolution mode
    • BIOS settings are fine, no overclocking etc.
    • DISM.exe and sfc
    • etc.

However, these do make the error go away:
    • End process for explorer.exe before Restart or Sign out
    • Safe Mode
    • Creating a new user profile (almost the same as clean installing Windows, many full days of work)
    • Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics driver (then the card is unusable, of course)
    • Disabling Device Manager / Display Adapters / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I already contacted NVIDIA and the graphics driver is not the culprit. Something has gone wrong with the user profile as the same driver works just fine in a new profile (and there's nothing wrong with the driver anyway, it's just the Restart or Sign out process that has a problem).

What can I do to fix this? One useful thing would be to have a step-by-step procedure for the Sign out. So that it'd ask before continuing to the next step and list what it's doing. Or if I could just disable whatever it does when the error appears.

jimhoyle, Aug 14, 2019
Thema:

Drive error restart

1. Drive error restart - Similar Threads - Drive error restart

2. Restart to Repair Drive Errors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart to Repair Drive Errors: I have a 7 year old win10 Dell 660 computer with initially a 2TB HD that was split into C and D. When I started up the computer it has been delayed and noted errors were found on D drive and asked if I wanted to fix it. When I say yes it would attempt to fix it and then...
  3. "Restart to repair drive errors" caused complete data loss.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Restart to repair drive errors" caused complete data loss.: Hi, Backstory/explanation as to how i got to this point: I bought a larger and better ssd to replace the one i had in my system, once i installed windows on the ssd i realised that one of the drives wasn't being picked up due to being 'dynamic' as such i loaded the old...
  4. Restart to repair drive errors [Windows 10]

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Restart to repair drive errors [Windows 10]: Hi, I recently install NVMe M.2 SSD with PCIe x1 adapter when the problem occur. It ask me to restart and so here is what I have done in order: 1. Restart the message still appear 2. Properties > Tools > Check No errors 3. CMD as below: [ATTACH] I am about to proceed...
  5. restart errors

restart errors: when i try to restart to install a update it says We're having trouble restarting to finish the install. Try again in a little while. If you keep seeing this, try searching the web or contacting support for help. This error code might help: 0x80070032...
  6. "Restart to repair drive errors" windows 10 pro 1903

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Restart to repair drive errors" windows 10 pro 1903: Just started getting this, and wondering why ? I just ran check disk under 'tools' on C: right click- so why does THAT show my ssd fine, yet windows 10 pro keeps wanting me to FIX disk errors? I feel something amiss here......
  7. Error and restart

Error and restart: I'm running the latest insider build and keep getting the IRQL NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO error in ndis.sys. and them reboots. Is anyone else having this problem? and is there a fix....
  8. External drives: Driver error,or Setup incomplete, but load on restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External drives: Driver error,or Setup incomplete, but load on restart: Hi folks. I've got an issue that's been driving me nuts recently. I think it started after the last major Windows 10 update a few months ago. Whenever I plug in any of my external hard drives, memory sticks or my external DVD writer into any of my 4 USB sockets, they light up...
  9. "Restart to repair drive errors" - Which Drive?

"Restart to repair drive errors" - Which Drive?: I recently received this notification. I would like to know which drive it was that had errors on it. I have 5 different Hard Drives connected to my PC. Is there any way to view more details on this error?...
  10. Windows constantly tells me to "restart to repair drive errors"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows constantly tells me to "restart to repair drive errors": Its random but happens at least once a week. Then i restart it and while its shutting down it gets a blue screen and then boots into system repair. Granted my drive is old, and probably near its end, but i have almost no problems with it anymore. What makes it repair these...