Windows 10: Drive error restart

Discus and support Drive error restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I don't get this. No matter how many times I restart this continues to happen. It is driving me nuts! Any solutions?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JasonP4, Aug 14, 2019 at 1:02 AM.

1. JasonP4 Win User

Drive error restart

I don't get this. No matter how many times I restart this continues to happen. It is driving me nuts! Any solutions?

:)

2. newtekie1 Win User
    CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

3. jimhoyle Win User

Drive error restart

How to troubleshoot an error that appears only at Restart or Sign out?

I get an error pop-up error message not every, but almost every time I Restart or Sign out. It's the screen with blue background and on top of Restart or Sign out text an error window says:

Explorer.exe - Application error. The instruction at 0x000… referenced memory at 0x000... The memory could not be written.

Sometimes the error code is just zeros, sometimes random numbers. I have tried so much already to troubleshoot this. For example these did not help in any way:
    • MemTest86+ (no problems)
    • Disabling any Services, Autoruns/ShellExView entries
    • Low resolution mode
    • BIOS settings are fine, no overclocking etc.
    • DISM.exe and sfc
    • etc.

However, these do make the error go away:
    • End process for explorer.exe before Restart or Sign out
    • Safe Mode
    • Creating a new user profile (almost the same as clean installing Windows, many full days of work)
    • Uninstalling NVIDIA graphics driver (then the card is unusable, of course)
    • Disabling Device Manager / Display Adapters / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

I already contacted NVIDIA and the graphics driver is not the culprit. Something has gone wrong with the user profile as the same driver works just fine in a new profile (and there's nothing wrong with the driver anyway, it's just the Restart or Sign out process that has a problem).

What can I do to fix this? One useful thing would be to have a step-by-step procedure for the Sign out. So that it'd ask before continuing to the next step and list what it's doing. Or if I could just disable whatever it does when the error appears.

Thema:

Drive error restart

1. Drive error restart - Similar Threads - Drive error restart

2. "Restart to repair drive errors" - Which Drive?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    "Restart to repair drive errors" - Which Drive?: I recently received this notification. I would like to know which drive it was that had errors on it. I have 5 different Hard Drives connected to my PC. Is there any way to view more details on this error?...
  3. Windows encountered an error and restarted

Windows encountered an error and restarted: So I don't know what is going on. This has never happened before. Twice now has my computer gave me a screen that it encountered an error and needed to restart. The first time was a few days ago and it created a dump file, but I did not ask about it because I thought it was...
  4. Blue screen error not restarting

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Blue screen error not restarting: Windows stuck on blue screen error for an hour at 100% stop code: KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILIURE https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blue-screen-error-not-restarting/a8882091-69b4-4206-b03d-25e7f1af048f
  5. Windows constantly tells me to "restart to repair drive errors"

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows constantly tells me to "restart to repair drive errors": Its random but happens at least once a week. Then i restart it and while its shutting down it gets a blue screen and then boots into system repair. Granted my drive is old, and probably near its end, but i have almost no problems with it anymore. What makes it repair these...
  6. USB Drive Caddy Throws Error During System Shutdown/Restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB Drive Caddy Throws Error During System Shutdown/Restart: Hey people! I've got an otherwise great dual SATA drive caddy, USB 3, made by ThermalTake, labeled SuperSpeed. It works just fine to let me use a single USB 3.0 cable to attach 1 or 2 drives to my system. My problem is that when I restart or shut down, the system comes back...
  7. Error bcmwl63a.sys - Computer Restarts

Error bcmwl63a.sys - Computer Restarts: Hi. I am getting blue screen with the following errors: bcmwl63a.sys memory management error page fault in non page area PC collects information for Microsoft then restarts. I have tried installing latest Broadcom Network Adapter Drivers. I am still...
  8. wach_dog error after it restarted

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    wach_dog error after it restarted: Hi all well ive read the tutorial and decided to a full clean option 1, it went well then in the midle of the resset i got the wach_dog error after it restarted and from then on black screen and i did not close the laptop. what should i do? P.S.- sry for my bad english...
  9. Recurring errors on restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Recurring errors on restart: Anybody else getting these 4 recurring errors every restart? The services they refer to don't seem to exist. Funny thing is, if I restart and go to 8.1 to do some work, restart and come back to 10, they do not appear. The time of the errors coincides with the shutdown time of...
  10. SystemSettingsBroker Error on Restart or ShutDown

in Windows 10 Support
    SystemSettingsBroker Error on Restart or ShutDown: This is a new situation that I got with the update from 9926 to 10041. When I restart or shut down, as soon as the desktop closes I get this error message which I can click to Close. It doesn't occur when I Sign off. In some cases it will quickly list the applications...