Windows 10: Drive Icons in File Explorer have red x's?

Discus and support Drive Icons in File Explorer have red x's? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Greetings guys and girls. My drive icons suddenly look like this? Anyone else seen this? How do I fix this? (Running 1903) 136281 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Davoodoo, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Davoodoo Win User

Drive Icons in File Explorer have red x's?

Greetings guys and girls.

My drive icons suddenly look like this? Anyone else seen this? How do I fix this? (Running 1903)

:)

Davoodoo, Jul 9, 2019
  2. Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Jul 9, 2019
  3. Red X by files that I copied onto hard drive

I used window 10 explore to copy files on my portable hard drive to onto my surface book hard drive and red x[s show up next to the file. I can open the file but the red x does not go away. What is going on?

JimFlanary, Jul 9, 2019
  4. lbeck Win User

what does red x mean in file explorer?

I just purchased a new laptop with presumably latest Windows 10. Working through some stuff I now see red circles with an "X" inserted by some File Explorer folders - some very important like "Documents". I tried restarting File Explorer and rebooting the computer but the symbols remain. Also, trying to access some files that I thought were saved are missing. Maybe I didn't actually save them or maybe there's another problem like trying to save to an "X"d folder.

What do these troubling symbols mean and how can I return to a clean File Explorer?

ADDED LATER:

Still looking for a solution I found here that the problem may be related to MSFT One Drive, which I was working with when the problem surfaced. As far as I can tell from the help, the "sync" operation is working. One Drive works okay on my desktop machine and no red x has ever shown previously or now.

Then, I see that the avast antivirus program may use a red x? see the screen capture. but Avast says no threats. Also, McAfee came preloaded on this new laptop and I'm unfamiliar with it's notifications and maybe the red x means that Avast is not working because McAfee is??

just some more clues.....

Drive Icons in File Explorer have red x's? [​IMG]

lbeck, Jul 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Drive Icons in File Explorer have red x's? - Similar Threads - Drive Icons File

2. Red x's in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Red x's in File Explorer: I was copying a bunch of files from an external HD when I maxed out my OneDrive capacity. I subscribed to more OneDrive space, but in File Explorer the folders involved in the transfer are still showing a white x in a red circle indicating they can't be backed up to OneDrive....
  3. Red x's in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Red x's in File Explorer: I was copying a bunch of files from an external HD when I maxed out my OneDrive capacity. I subscribed to more OneDrive space, but in File Explorer the folders involved in the transfer are still showing a white x in a red circle indicating they can't be backed up to OneDrive....
  4. Red x's in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Red X on speaker icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Red X on speaker icon: I had downloaded a few optional updates from settings, and the next thing I see is that there is a red X on my sound icon, its happened to me many times before, for me the solution is to reset your computer, its now the 4th time that I've been resetting my PC now. I've...
  6. Red X in explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Red X in explorer: I have a weird issue. I can't move files from one directory to another in file explorer. When I try it shows a red x. I can however use a 3rd party file manager and another user account is fine. Does anyone know the directory I need to delete to reset tis? submitted by...
  7. Red X marks in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Red X marks in File Explorer: My old computer and new computer are both running Windows 10. But on the new one I find two things that are not on the older one. 1 OneDrive seems to be built in. 2 Many files and folders show up in File Explorer with red X marks beside them. So I have two questions: 1...
  8. Drive Icons in File Explorer have red x's?

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive Icons in File Explorer have red x's?: Greetings guys and girls. My drive icons suddenly look like this? Anyone else seen this? How do I fix this? (Running 1903) 136281
  9. Red x icon meaning

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Red x icon meaning: Problem with start up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/red-x-icon-meaning/d2f89e2e-e284-4aaa-8edf-8c7add726f2b
  10. Windows Explorer icon with RED X in notification area.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Explorer icon with RED X in notification area.: From the Windows 7 forum. Good morning people! I have an issue I would like some help with. Every time I reboot my computer, a Windows Explorer icon with a red X appears in the notification area. When I click on it, it disappears and Windows Explorer opens. It remains...