Windows 10: Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool

Discus and support Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Acronis Problems.I have been having file-system corruption problems with Acronis True Image's "Linux Rescue Media" when restoring partitions.The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by HomeAndWorkNeeds, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool

Acronis Problems.I have been having file-system corruption problems with Acronis True Image's "Linux Rescue Media" when restoring partitions.The partitions that get restored end up with a slightly corrupt NTFS records. Sometimes this is only evident after seeing driver failures, event log problems, and running SFC /scannow in the command line.[[ I DESPISE differential AND incremental backups. I keep user data entirely separate from my main os backups.I only like FULL system backups AS A DRIVE IMAGE.]]I was thinking about using Acronis True Image's WinPE sourced Rescue Media, but I was hung up

:)

HomeAndWorkNeeds, Dec 19, 2021

2. Backup/Recovery tools - Acronis vs Macrium

Please forgive me for not reading the whole "Window 10 Recovery Tools" thread before posting this, but that's a very long thread.

I am a long time user of Acronis True Image. Lately I've run into a few peculiarities that have me looking at alternatives. A number of people have recommended the free version Macrium Reflect, but I need the paid version to meat my requirements. I would like more information to help me decide. (Other products can be suggested, of course.)

My requirements are:
    1. I have to run the backups on 3 devices - 2 desktops and 1 laptop.
    2. The laptop backup goes to a NAS drive.
    3. I need to run full disk image backups on all 3 devices.
    4. I need to run file/folder backups of some files on the NAS drive from one of the PCs.

I've done 1 recovery using Macrium and 2 using Acronis. I had a couple false starts with Acronis because understand the process. I don't remember how easy the Macrium process was. I found configuring the backup process less straightforward with Macrium than with Acronis, but I recently discovered that Acronis has an exclusion list and was excluding files from its "Entire PC" backups. (Grrr!) All recoveries were successful.

I've had to recover old data a number of times. I've done it successfully from the Acronis backup and have walked through the process with the Macrium. Both work with no problem. Macrium mounts the backup image faster than Acronis, but I don't think it gives an option of the drive letter to use in mounting.

Tthe free version of Macrium Reflect does not take file/folder backups, and the cost of a 3 (actually 4) device license for Macrium Home costs quit a bit more than a 3 platform license for Acronis.

The Acronis doc says only file/folder backups can be taken to a NAS, but I'm taking "Entire PC" drive backups of the laptop to my NAS drive. I know for a fact that the Acronis stand-alone recovery systems cannot access a NAS drive. I would have to copy the backup to another drive before doing a drive recovery. I have not idea what the Macriun capabilities are regarding NAS.

I suspect I will continue using Acronis, but I would like to hear what other people think I should do.

pokeefe0001, Dec 19, 2021
  3. TRoss5 Win User
    W10 System Image Backup

When I use the W10 System Image Backup, it hangs at the step where it says it is "Preparing to create backup" and eventually times out leaving error codes 0x80780021 and 0x81000101. How do I fix this? My machine is Dell XP13, Core I7, 8th Gen, 500 SSD
    and the hard drive is encrypted, but the backup says it will save an unencrypted version on my external backup hard drive.

TRoss5, Dec 19, 2021
  4. Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool

Windows 10 backup vs. Acronis backup

Should I switch Windows 10 backup off and is Acronis Backup a good program. If so I will order Acronis online. Thanks. I had a problem recently where Windows 10(7) backup would stop at 97% and run all night. I never had this happen before until the recent
    update to version 1803. Any suggestions as to why? thanks.

KentBarlow1, Dec 19, 2021
Thema:

Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool

1. Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool - Similar Threads - Drive Imaging problems

2. System Image vs File Backup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Image vs File Backup?: Sorry if this is the wrong subreddit for this, but after fiddling around with the Windows File System backup and having it run into a bunch of issues, I finally decided to get the Macrium Reflect software. Now that I have easier access to making a system image though, I’m...
  3. Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool: Acronis Problems.I have been having file-system corruption problems with Acronis True Image's "Linux Rescue Media" when restoring partitions.The partitions that get restored end up with a slightly corrupt NTFS records. Sometimes this is only evident after seeing driver...
  4. Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drive Imaging problems -- Acronis vs W10 backup tool: Acronis Problems.I have been having file-system corruption problems with Acronis True Image's "Linux Rescue Media" when restoring partitions.The partitions that get restored end up with a slightly corrupt NTFS records. Sometimes this is only evident after seeing driver...
  5. Macrium Reflect vs Acronis

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect vs Acronis: I have been using Acronis for many years but lately have not been sure of its reliability. I recently tried Macrium but I noticed a difference. With Acronis when I have restored the Windows OS I have "sanitized" the SSD that had the corrupted OS on it. Then Acronis would...
  6. Windows Image Backup Tool

Windows Image Backup Tool: Hello community, I'm looking for windows 10 Backup and restore tool please advice me which is the best tool for backup and restore. Kind regards, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-image-backup-tool/2db83feb-d597-4055-9931-c49fe06feef5
  7. Windows 10 backup vs. Acronis backup

Windows 10 backup vs. Acronis backup: Should I switch Windows 10 backup off and is Acronis Backup a good program. If so I will order Acronis online. Thanks. I had a problem recently where Windows 10(7) backup would stop at 97% and run all night. I never had this happen before until the recent update to version...
  8. Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect

Acronis True Image vs Macrium Reflect: I was toying with buying a copy of Acronis true Image now that it is on sale, but I figured I'd ask for some thoughts before doing so. Mainly, I'm looking for the ability to boot from CD/USB and create an image of a hard drive, for backup or recovery purposes. Then, if...
  9. Backup/Recovery tools - Acronis vs Macrium

Backup/Recovery tools - Acronis vs Macrium: Please forgive me for not reading the whole "Window 10 Recovery Tools" thread before posting this, but that's a very long thread. I am a long time user of Acronis True Image. Lately I've run into a few peculiarities that have me looking at alternatives. A number of people...
  10. Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install??

Acronis True Image to restore after W10 install??: I installed the Preview on a couple machines with 10" screens and while I liked the overall look and feel, I didn't care for it on those smaller screens. So I took them back to originals which was a totally no fun process. Probably because I did the restore using the MS and...