Windows 10: DRIVE ? in disk defragmented after clean install

Discus and support DRIVE ? in disk defragmented after clean install in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; [img] how to deleted a drive ?? please help 97306 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Adityar, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Adityar Win User

DRIVE ? in disk defragmented after clean install

DRIVE ? in disk defragmented after clean install [​IMG]

how to deleted a drive ?? please help

:)

Adityar, Nov 4, 2017

2. Microsoft Drive Optimizer mistakenly lists SATA hard disk drive as SSD and will not defragment the drive

It sure looks like a Windows 10 bug. The OS knows it is a SATA disk drive but the disk properties > defrag shows it as SDD which is wrong. The only problem this has caused is not being able to run Windows defrag on the disk. So - I downloaded a FREE defrag
    program and run it to clean up the disk.

I suggest using either of these 2 defrag programs:

www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag

www.piriform.com/defraggler

Dave

DavidELindsay, Nov 4, 2017
  3. Computer turned REALLY SLOW after unplugging AC cord from wall (AC FROM POWER SUPPLY

If there was no OS on the internal hard drive then it doesn't need to be cleaned or reformatted unless you want it to be. If you tested it with the maker's Diagnostics and

Disk Check
    then it should be OK. You should also test the SSD with both tests to be sure of its condition if you suspect drive problems.

After install Maintenance will check the disks and do necessary trimming on SSD and defrag on hard drive. Never defrag an SSD. But this is all automated in WIndows 10 anyway.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Nov 4, 2017
  4. axe0 New Member

Hi Adityar,

It shows all partitions on your SSD and HDD, you don't want to delete 'RECOVERY' or '\\?\Volume{...', the second is the partition that makes your system bootable.

axe0, Nov 4, 2017
  5. Adityar Win User
    Are you have a ? Volume in disk defrag?

Adityar, Nov 5, 2017
  6. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey Adityar,
    I had a couple \?\Volume in disk defrag and I found that it was due to not having a Label on the given partition(s). Mine turned out to be my EFI System and Recovery partitions and I had to use MiniTool Partition Wizard (Free) to give each of them a Label, so I would know what they were.

Eagle51, Nov 5, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    I do - it's my Recovery partition.

Bree, Nov 5, 2017
  8. axe0 New Member

It's my EFI partition.

axe0, Nov 5, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    You never need to defrag static hidden drives.

cereberus, Nov 5, 2017
  10. Adityar Win User
    thank you for the information and help. how to label default to that drive?

Adityar, Nov 5, 2017
  11. Adityar Win User
    thank you I was a little calm after knowing it. I did some clean install to solve it. but I already have recovery partition. and what drives do I have \? \\ because it looks like drive recovery on the disk defrag list
    ? Sorry for my bad english

Adityar, Nov 5, 2017
  12. topgundcp Win User
    @Adityar
    As mentioned above. If a partition does not have a mount point or no label. The volume GUID is displayed instead. To mount the EFI System partiton, open Admin Command Prompt and type:
    • mountvol U:\ /S ==> this will assign a drive letter U: to the EFI partition.
    • label U: XXX ===> Will label the partition with the string "XXX"
    The screen now shows:

To revert back:

• label U: ===> hit <ENTER>->Y to Remove the label
    • mountvol U:\ /D ===> unmount drive U: from EFI partition

NOTE: Use the command mountvol with no argument will list all the mount points and drive letters

topgundcp, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. DRIVE ? in disk defragmented after clean install - Similar Threads - DRIVE disk defragmented

2. Disk Defrag Parameters.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Defrag Parameters.: Good evening, Code: C:\Windows\system32>defrag.exe /? Microsoft Drive Optimizer Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. Description: Optimizes and defragments files on local volumes to improve system performance. Syntax: defrag <volumes> | /C | /E <volumes> [<task(s)>] [/H] [/M [n] |...
  3. Disk and defrag problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk and defrag problem: My hard disk response time and usage so high i tried cmd like scannow even did reset whole pc windows again but didnt fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-and-defrag-problem/82db8693-2e98-46cb-9aa6-5d347f4e65dc
  4. Disk 100% usage, after clean install

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk 100% usage, after clean install: Hello, I've had this problem for 5 years maybe, i tried maybe 20 solution ideas on the internet and nothing worked or maybe just worked for short-term. Laptop: Dell inspiron i5 5547 HDD: Toshiba something 5600rpm 500GB i thought that it was problem with the laptop itself...
  5. Defragment and Disk Clean Up

Defragment and Disk Clean Up: Hello, I work from home, my system is starting to run slow and have issues. I am wanting to di a defragment and a disk clean up but when doing these i want to make sure it is not going to clear the cache or cookies as i have to get approval for some sites and want to be...
  6. Disk Defrag Utility is not showing C: Drive!

Disk Defrag Utility is not showing C: Drive!: I am a Windows 10 user and my Disk Defragment Utility is not showing C: Drive.[ATTACH] I can see the Drive in Disk Management. I also did a chkdsk /r search and it told me that the drive could be checked after a reboot and did that but it took almost 16 hours and was stuck...
  7. Help with disk defrag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with disk defrag: Hello! Having issues with very slow, very loud, very hot Dell laptop. Tried to disk defrag multiple times, restarted multiple times, every time it just keeps saying Hard disk is 28% fragmented. Any thoughts? I'm just trying to run Mtg Arena, which from my understanding is not...
  8. defrag disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    defrag disk: How do I run the disk defrag program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defrag-disk/b78f7054-39ca-4eae-824e-6be83cdfd2c4
  9. Defrag Disk Not Available

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defrag Disk Not Available: Hello all, I need some quick and urgent help about this application. I keep getting the following error when I try to start up my Defrag Disk app: [ATTACH] I don't understand why this happened, so I went did the following: 1) Windows + R 2) Typed services.msc 3) Hit...
  10. Clean install to different disk drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install to different disk drive?: I have successfully upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 (and solved the initial network connection problems). However my OS has a lot of crud from the pre-upgrade state and I would like to do a clean install of Windows 10, without losing any old data files. I've read...