Windows 10: "Drive is disconnected" message while trying to restore files

Discus and support "Drive is disconnected" message while trying to restore files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello.While checking an external hard drive E which is showing as empty i.e. no Folders or Files on Explorer, I right-clicked on the drive and then... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnFJMurphy, Jul 22, 2021.

1. "Drive is disconnected" message while trying to restore files

Hello.While checking an external hard drive E which is showing as empty i.e. no Folders or Files on Explorer, I right-clicked on the drive and then clicked on the Previous versions tab. There it showed the same drive letter E so I tried the Restore and Restore To options and the Open and Open in File History options - the latter option showing six folders but each time, although it goes through the "Preparing to copy" and "Discovered xxxx items and xxxxGb" it goes up to about 400Gb but then always ends with the File History error message which says "Drive is disconnected. Reconnect the

:)

JohnFJMurphy, Jul 22, 2021
  2. Junaid_A Win User

Disconnect and reconnect File History drive

Hi David,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To stop file history using a drive, you can try the steps listed below.

Ideally, File History will save copies of your files every hour, so disconnecting and reconnecting the backup drive every hour would be a tedious task. However, if you still would like to go for it, you may try the steps listed
    below.

• Open Settings and go to Update & Security > Backup using File History.
    • Scroll down to Backup to a different drive
      and choose Stop using the drive to disconnect the drive.
    • Later, when you would like to reconnect, go to
      Settings
      >
      Update & security>
      Backup>
      Add a drive to reconnect the drive.

Additional Info: Use File History to backup and restore
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Jul 22, 2021
  3. Restoring Previous Music Library and Told Same Drive is Disconnected

Hi,

Files that were deleted on a volume drive can be restored on a computer. One situation that you cannot restore files is when you store it on an external hard drive and accidentally deleted them.
    To ensure that we can provide the appropriate resolution to your concern with your hard drive, we’d like to ask you a few questions:

• Can you confirm if the files that were deleted are stored on an external hard drive?
    • Is your drive E:\ an external hard drive?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Did you receive an associated error message saying it’s disconnected?

We’re looking forward to your response.

Johann Eva, Jul 22, 2021
  4. sc4s2cg Win User

"Drive is disconnected" message while trying to restore files

Gigabyte motherboard, pc won't bootup after recent hard drive change

So I've previously had this problem when I added new SATA hard drives to an old one, all I had to do was switch hard disk priority to the one I wanted to boot from. But that's not working right now.

Error message: AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!
    Specs:
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte ma785gmt-ud2h
    • Four SATA hard drives, three 2tb and one 1tb
    • One IDE hard drive, 160gb
    • 6gb RAM
    • Everything else is the default
    What happened: I had an Amahi home server running on this PC with Ubuntu 12.04LTS as the OS. It was using the four SATA hard drives and everything was running smoothly. Then I read that it's easiest to have a setup where the OS/Amahi is installed on one small hard drive while the large hard drives are used to keep the files on, this makes it easy to update the OS without worrying about the files. So today I installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS on an old IDE 160gb hard drive that I had laying around, which would be perfect to use since there is exactly one IDE port on the motherboard.

I disconnected all hard drives, connected the IDE, installed Ubuntu, and rebooted. I got a "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!" message.

What I tried:
    • Have the IDE be given priority over other hard drives.
    • Connecting all the hard drives back, with and without the IDE hard drive. Same message.
    • Disconnect all hard drives, connect IDE, and set BIO to opimised defaults. Same message.
    • Disconnect CD drive with only IDE attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
    • Disconnect CD drive with only SATA attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
    • Disconnect CD drive with SATA and IDE attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
    • Just IDE connected, mess with the peripheral settings by changing "OnChip SATA Type" to ATHCI, RAID, or IDE. Tried this with "As SATA Type" and with "IDE" set for the port4/5 type
    • Just IDE connected, disable SATA controller
    • Disconnect IDE, reconnect original hard drives. I still get the same DMI message.
    • Attempt to boot from the SATA hard drive that has Ubuntu on it, using each of the SATA ports.
    • Update BIOS to F10B, disabling the "Remember DMI" option. I reconnected all hard drives and the CD drive (the pdf said the 'system' will redetect all devices). Now I got the "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI! Update Success" message, still hanging there. Rebooted, now it's the original message.
    So I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Edit: there were many suggestions to try clear the CMOS, however that didn't seem to help the posters. I haven't tried that, but if people suggest I should then I will do so tomorrow.

sc4s2cg, Jul 22, 2021
Thema:

"Drive is disconnected" message while trying to restore files

1. "Drive is disconnected" message while trying to restore files - Similar Threads - Drive disconnected message

2. windows is disconnected, reconnect the drive message

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows is disconnected, reconnect the drive message: i noticed that my downloads had gone, checked the file history and they are there. when i click 0n the restore button though i get a box come up saying windows e:\ is disconnected. reconnect the drive. also, windows drive is not connected to the pc comes up when i tap on an...
  3. windows is disconnected, reconnect the drive message

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows is disconnected, reconnect the drive message: i noticed that my downloads had gone, checked the file history and they are there. when i click 0n the restore button though i get a box come up saying windows e:\ is disconnected. reconnect the drive. also, windows drive is not connected to the pc comes up when i tap on an...
  4. windows is disconnected, reconnect the drive message

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. "Drive is disconnected" message while trying to restore files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Drive is disconnected" message while trying to restore files: Hello.While checking an external hard drive E which is showing as empty i.e. no Folders or Files on Explorer, I right-clicked on the drive and then clicked on the Previous versions tab. There it showed the same drive letter E so I tried the 'Restore' and 'Restore To' options...
  6. "Drive is disconnected" message while trying to restore files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Drive is disconnected" message while trying to restore files: Hello.While checking an external hard drive E which is showing as empty i.e. no Folders or Files on Explorer, I right-clicked on the drive and then clicked on the Previous versions tab. There it showed the same drive letter E so I tried the 'Restore' and 'Restore To' options...
  7. "Drive is disconnected" message while trying to restore files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. ERROR 8007045b while trying to restore

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    ERROR 8007045b while trying to restore: I receive this message when im trying to restore... ive tried couple of things but none of them work..ive tried the first solution in here System Restore Failed and Did Not Complete Successfully with Errors in Windows 10 - EaseUS But at step 5 after typing rd /s "C:\Program...
  9. "No c.d. in drive" message when trying to burn files.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "No c.d. in drive" message when trying to burn files.: I have some MP3 files which I am trying to burn to a blank c.d. with Ashampoo Burning Studio 16. The program accepts the files in the list to be burnt, but says there is no c.d. in the drive when I try to burn. I have burnt other discs before but without using Burning...
  10. Problem while trying to restore the system

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Problem while trying to restore the system: Good morning, Yesterday I started having a problem with my laptop, it doesn't open programs, images, pdf's, etc.. I tried to restore the system but it doesn't works. Here are some screenshots that I took from it. I've already tried everything that I know to try to solve this...