Windows 10: Drive is locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel

Discus and support Drive is locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I got a message startup repair couldn't repair your PC. I tried the suggestions through command prompt and self repair but none of them work because by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JohnEllis123, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Drive is locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel

I got a message startup repair couldn't repair your PC. I tried the suggestions through command prompt and self repair but none of them work because by C drive is locked. I get the message "This drive is locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel.

I think I may need to download a new image to reinstall windows from what I have head but don't know where to get this." Please advise on any other possible solutions and where to get the reinstall files copied to a thumb drive.

Thanks,

John

:)

JohnEllis123, Dec 3, 2020

2. Windows 10 automatically locks the unlocked BitLocker encrypted USB drive

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, it didn't fix my issue. First of all, there is no "turn off auto bit lock", but there is "turn off auto-unlock" or "turn on auto-unlock", and my settings show "auto-unlock" is turned off. Secondly, I don't want my
    USB drive to "auto-unlock", but I do want it to stay "unlocked" after I manually unlock it. However, the problem I am having now is that when I unlock the USB drive and open a file, then after being idle for a while, Windows will automatically lock the drive,
    so I cannot save the changes I have made to the file until I unlock the drive again.

Penguin360, Dec 3, 2020
  3. Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

Hey All,

Recently my company provided me with a Windows 10 SOE image as part of a UAT. The image includes Symantec Endpoint Encryption which utilizes Bitlocker for encryption.

I went through all of the motions with the C:\ drive to be encrypted and even printed the recovery key. Well, at some point I plugged in a few My Passport USB drives and they became locked by Bitlocker To Go. Everytime I try to unlock or click on these drives it asks for the 48-bit key which I don't have because I never was prompted to encrypt/lock these drives.

Drive is locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel [​IMG]

Drive is locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel [​IMG]

IT says that there are no keys stored on the servers for these USB drives and suggested that this would be a "local" encryption. However, they also stated that they wouldn't be encrypted unless I was prompted about it. So, there's this mystery about how these USB drives came to be locked.

I've been doing some research and the closest I've come is getting some output about the protectors:
    Code:
    I've tried to copy the .bek file to another non-encrypted/locked USB but get:

Code:
    I've tried all of the passwords (even blank) I have in an attempt to unlock the drive:

Code:
    When I search my laptop by either the Numerical or External IDs, I get nothing even with hidden files enabled.

Can anybody provide any recommendations here? I can always provide any additional info. Should I also post in the MS forums?

There's so much data on these drives that I cannot loose.

Regards, Jimmy

coolguy9000, Dec 3, 2020
  4. zBernie Win User

Drive is locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel

Bitlocker encrypted drive not prompting for password

I have a bitlocker encrypted file named myfile.vhd. On my PC when I double click it, it warns that it's encrypted, then prompts for a password. I copied the file to my wife's computer and when I double click it, or right click and select "Mount" from the
    context menu a dialog box states:

"This drive is locked by bitlocker drive encryption. To open the drive, you need to unlock it first"

The only way I can unlock it on my wife's computer is through the control panel, which does unlock it.

Is there any way I can configure my wife's computer to prompt for a password when I double click the myfile.vhd file?

-Thanks

zBernie, Dec 3, 2020
Thema:

Drive is locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel

1. Drive is locked by Bitlocker Drive Encryption. You must unlock this drive from Control Panel - Similar Threads - Drive locked Bitlocker

2. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  3. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive: failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive with error "resetting your protector failed for an unknown reason"I have recovery key, but still failed...
  4. failed to unlock Bitlocker encrypted drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?: I suddenly opened my PC and saw that my H drive is locked. I am having trouble to access my account. Please get back to me as soon as possible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-bitlocker-locked-drive/04bcd4be-7090-4c17-9233-9dc8cc7c4294
  6. How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?: I suddenly opened my PC and saw that my H drive is locked. I am having trouble to access my account. Please get back to me as soon as possible. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-unlock-bitlocker-locked-drive/04bcd4be-7090-4c17-9233-9dc8cc7c4294
  7. How to unlock bitlocker locked drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  8. Locking an Unlocked BitLocker Enabled Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Locking an Unlocked BitLocker Enabled Drive: Hi, I searched for an option to lock an unlocked BitLocker enabled drive but couldn't find anything. The unlocked drive is accessible by the other user when switching the user account. There should be an option to lock the drive when a user has finished. I hereby suggest...
  9. BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    BitLocker encrypted drive not unlocking with recovery key: I encrypted an external hard drive a while ago and have since forgotten the password. I have the 48 digit recovery key saved to my computer as a notepad document. The problem I am having is that when I enter the 48 digit recovery key to unlock the drive nothing happens. No...
  10. Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Unable to unlock USB drives encrypted/locked with Bitlocker To Go: Hey All, Recently my company provided me with a Windows 10 SOE image as part of a UAT. The image includes Symantec Endpoint Encryption which utilizes Bitlocker for encryption. I went through all of the motions with the C:\ drive to be encrypted and even printed the...