Windows 10: drive issues on new computer preventing computer from upating anything

Discus and support drive issues on new computer preventing computer from upating anything in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I purchased my computer 7 months ago, and just in the last couple of days, I logged in and was unable to launch several games with an error that was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ElainaM94, Apr 5, 2020.

1. ElainaM94 Win User

drive issues on new computer preventing computer from upating anything

I purchased my computer 7 months ago, and just in the last couple of days, I logged in and was unable to launch several games with an error that was popping up saying something about he driver not being found. I updated everything on my computer from storage controller driver to graphics card and then realized that Windows 10 was not able to update to 1909. Ive been trying for a good 48 hours now to get Windows to update in every way I can. I've even "factory reset" my computer, which didn't actually work at all, not a single thing changed after that. Then today, I woke up to my computer being stuck in a repairing drive C boot loop which I was able to get out of by starting up in safe mode. I restarted my computer from there and then went to my storage settings and found the following message under Local Storage: "An administrator has disabled the Storage Service on this system"

????

I'm so confused. I haven't changed a single thing about my computer aside from uninstalling some hefty games that I haven't been playing.

:)

ElainaM94, Apr 5, 2020
  2. DW7EZV Win User

Prevent / Hide drives from My Computer won't effect

Hi @Macboatmaster,

Thank you for your suggestion.

As of posting, I am trying what you suggested. 30 minutes have pass and I am still at 8.8%. Any other suggestion?

Thank you!

DW7EZV, Apr 5, 2020
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

drive issues on new computer preventing computer from upating anything [​IMG]

Jerry8A, Apr 5, 2020
  4. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Apr 5, 2020
Thema:

1. drive issues on new computer preventing computer from upating anything - Similar Threads - drive issues computer

2. New Security Update Win 10 prevents computer from booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New Security Update Win 10 prevents computer from booting: I have a Windows 10 Pro on an Alienware X51 R2 desktop, with a dual boot Windows 7.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎9/‎14/‎2020OS build 19045.2251On December 13 I had an issue after updating my computer. When restarting, the blue screen with the "installing...
  3. New Security Update Win 10 prevents computer from booting

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    New Security Update Win 10 prevents computer from booting: I have a Windows 10 Pro on an Alienware X51 R2 desktop, with a dual boot Windows 7.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎9/‎14/‎2020OS build 19045.2251On December 13 I had an issue after updating my computer. When restarting, the blue screen with the "installing...
  4. App preventing computer from restarting

App preventing computer from restarting: Hi,When I restart my desktop computer, an app with the name of NvFBCPluginWindow is preventing me from restarting. Does anyone know why is this happening and how to fix it?...
  5. Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.

Transferring hard drive from failed computer to a new computer.: Dear Folks:I just finished my tax return, but before I could print it or file it online, the motherboard failed on my older desktop computer Win 10 Home OS.Is there some way for me to remove the hard drive NTFS formatting from the desktop computer and install it into a new...
  6. Preventing a computer from going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Preventing a computer from going to sleep: With everyone working remotely, I worked hard to make sure that our computers at the office never went to sleep. There used to be separate sections on the Power and Sleep settings allowing you to tell the computer to never go to sleep. Well an update must have gone out and...
  7. Solving Activation Issues - from old computer to new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Solving Activation Issues - from old computer to new computer: Purchased a custom build. Purchased a new Microsoft license for the Windows that installed when I restored my image of the old computer on to the new one via Macrium Reflect. Three days in, the new computer was found to be damaged in transit, and sent it back. The builder...
  8. Prevent / Hide drives from My Computer won't effect

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Prevent / Hide drives from My Computer won't effect: Hi! I am planning to have a small internet cafe and want to prevent/hide them from opening Drive D which is for games. I enabled Prevent access to drives from My Computer and Hide these specified drives in My Computer on Local Group Policy Editor but I can still access the...
  9. Windows upate issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows upate issues: Hey all, I've had a lot of difficulty getting my windows to update to the newest version of 10. I built my PC in 2014, so originally I thought the updates failing to install might be a compatibility issue with my hardware. After replacing everything but my graphics card...
  10. External hard drive and new computer issues

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External hard drive and new computer issues: I just got a new laptop and some of the programs claim they need to be reinstalled due to registration issues while others give me a "Windows can't access the specified drive, file, or path" message. It makes no sense because the whole point of an extremal hard drive is to...