Windows 10: Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

Discus and support Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have two SATA hot-swap drives that I alternate between each day for backups. When using Windows 7 I was able to assign the disks to g: and then after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by djeyewater, May 23, 2017.

1. Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

I have two SATA hot-swap drives that I alternate between each day for backups. When using Windows 7 I was able to assign the disks to g: and then after the initial assignment, windows would remember this and assign it to g: on each subsequent use.

But with Windows 10 it seems to forget the assignment after a reboot, and assigns d: (the first free letter) instead. (Quite possibly this isn't actually related to a difference between Win 7 / 10 though - when using Win 7 I had a drives on d:, e:, f:, and so g: was the first available letter. On Win 10 I no longer have the d: and f: drives attached, and so d: is now the first available letter.)

To be clear:
    • The hot swap disks are not permanently attached
    • Only one hot swap disk is ever attached at a time
    • Both hot swap disks have been assigned to g: (but this isn't sticking)

Anyone have any ideas?

:)

djeyewater, May 23, 2017

2. Partition problems setting active and losing drive letter

Hello Lukas Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten :)

Does your D drive (Disk 1) lose its letter? I would try swapping the SATA cables and ports between it and the optical drive and see if the issue persists.

You could also try assigning a different drive letter to your optical drive and then reassign a letter to your storage drive as this may be a case of signature collisions.

Captain_WD, May 23, 2017
  3. Why does changing drive letters in Windows 10 take over 10 minutes?

So if you can ensure that the correct drives automatically and reliably get assigned P and Q respectively then your problem will be avoided, right? Try

USB Drive Letter Manager
    , which as the site says allows one to "assign letters for a specific USB drive by putting an INI file on the drive".

RobertJWin, May 23, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

Hi, I can only confirm that assigning a drive letter to a USB drive via Disk Management (R in my case) works for me- that's my MAcrium Reflect image storage drive so it's always assigned the same letter - late in the alphabet.

Hopefully someone here has experience with hot-swap drives and caddies.

dalchina, May 23, 2017
  5. My USB stick is fine, that always gets assigned the same letter. But not my hotswap drives. It could be something to do with having two different drives mapped to the same letter.

djeyewater, May 23, 2017
  6. sygnus21 Win User
    That "could" be an issue.

That said, not sure what's going on but when you assign a drive letter to a particular drive, it "should" be remembered, and still usable unless there's currently in-use another drive using the same letter. In that case the later drive is reassigned the first available drive letter.

Example: I just replaced a 1TB HDD hot-swappable drive with a 1TB SSD drive. The old HDD drive was assigned drive letter "I", but when I moved to the SSD drive, I changed it's drive letter to "I", and now when I plug in the old HDD drive it's letter has changed to "J" because I is already assigned. That even if I removed the SSD drive (I), the old HDD drive will still use "J" because that's what Windows has assigned it.

That said, since we're talking hot swappable drives, check your BIOS and under Peripherals, SATA Configuration, there may be an option for hot swap drives, if so, make sure it's enabled. Now when you swap drives and reboot the PC, that drive's letter should be remembered, even if it was removed while the PC rebooted.

Let me know if this helps.

sygnus21, May 24, 2017
  7. cereberus Win User
    You could create a batch file with diskpart that remove the drive letter and reassigns the one you want.
    The drive number n should be last on list.

Initially

diskpart
    list disk (to identify disk number)

Batch file e.g. letter.bat contains one line

diskpart /s letter.txt

and letter.txt contains

select disk n (n from above)
    remove
    assign letter= J (or whatever you want)
    exit

and each time you swap drive, just run letter.bat.

cereberus, May 24, 2017
  8. Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

Thanks for the replies. So far as I can tell, it seems like probably when setting a drive letter, windows stores the unique identifier of that drive as being mapped to that drive letter. Then when doing the same with another drive, the new mapping overwrites the previously set mapping, rather than adding it as an additional mapping. So when you then switch back to the first drive, that mapping has been lost.

The easiest thing for me is simply to change my backups to go to the d:. Since that's the first free drive letter, that's what will always be assigned to the drives when I plug them in.

djeyewater, May 25, 2017
  9. sygnus21 Win User
    My reply in red.

sygnus21, May 25, 2017
  10. Sorry about that, it just didn't seem very likely to me, so I didn't think it was worth trying. I have tried it now, and it didn't make any difference. (Well it does make a difference, but not to drive letter assignment).

djeyewater, May 29, 2017
  11. RolandJS Win User
    I'm in a busy class so I might have missed it, did somebody already mention that for any external device to keep an assigned drive letter must be plugged into the same usb hub's port or the same laptop's usb port every time.

RolandJS, May 29, 2017
  12. Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm always plugging them into the same port. As I said earlier, it seems highly likely that a drive letter can only ever be assigned to one drive id at a time.

djeyewater, May 29, 2017
  13. sygnus21 Win User

That's not been my experience. In fact I tried it last week when dealing with the OP's post and for me, it made no difference. We're talking hot swappable drives here.

sygnus21, May 29, 2017
  14. dalchina New Member
    That theory seems to be correct. I just tried it with two flash drives on the same USB port, both of which had been assigned S:

On swapping the drives on the same port, S: was only assigned to the drive which had most recently been assigned S:

However, that drive was allocated S: on each of three different USB ports when plugged into them in turn.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten - Similar Threads - Drive letter assignment

2. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  3. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  4. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  5. Change assigned drive letters

in Windows 10 Support
    Change assigned drive letters: Haven't done this in a while. Never in W-10 Want to move and reassign: On Disk 0 (F) becomes (D) 15 MB assigned by OS On Disk 1 (H) becomes (E) Second SSD drive On Disk 2 (D) becomes (F) First HDD used for storage On Disk 3 (E) becomes (G) External 1 GB for File History,...
  6. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  7. Must Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives

Must Assign Drive Letter Each Time I Swap Drives: I use a USB docking device and swap drives frequently. Every time I swap I must go into Disk Manager and rerereassign the same drive letter. Surely this isn't normal. How do I stop this behavior? 110555
  8. Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned

Already assigned and active drive letters being reassigned: I have many systems in house that have dual USB hdd docks. These normally have two drives installed. I have assigned specific drives letters via disk manager. However when another USB storage device is added the drive letters for the two active drives in the dock will...
  9. SSD Not being assigned drive letter

SSD Not being assigned drive letter: After formatting my extra SSD, windows won't assign it a drive letter when the computer starts. I have to use a third-party software to assign the letter, and I have to do it everytime it boots, and it's starting to annoy me. Can't really find any solutions on google 44340
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...